VST like in Alphaville's Forever Young

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I like to know if there is a VST that has the voice of Alphaville's Forever Young trumpet solo?

In the original song was it a real trumpet or a synth?

Thank you for your help.

maomoondog? :hihi:
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

somewhere around there's documentary video from that period.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5801345

They're talking about Alphaville synths.

Hey, Maomoondog! Someone talks of you and would like to know what you used!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Wait WHAT?

in many of the old Alphaville videos i see the Yamaha DX7 and Korg poly 61 alot, so very likely it was
one of those... i'm leaning towards the DX7. FM7 would be the VST i'd use to get the sound.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I had somehow always assumed it was a Juno. But now that you mention it, I suppose it could just as easily have been a DX7.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p5763577

The trumpet sounds are a combination of Jupiter-8 and Synclavier.

Chris-S wrote:http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p5763577

there it is, there! thanks!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
Chris-S wrote:http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p5763577

there it is, there! thanks!
There is a Demo version of Forever Young before they went to the studio and it had the same trumpet sound, so you can be sure they haven´t used a 150.000 USD (basic version) Synclavier in their home studio.
Induljon a banzáj!

The credits say:

Album recorded & mixed at Studio 54 [W. Berlin] during July/August 1984 by Wolfgang Loos with the Traumton Computer System.

Very little information about TCS on internet, possibly it was a one-off system that belonged in that studio?

The Traumton Computer System was indeed an exclusive piece of Kit that was owned by Wolfgang Loos. It was used almost like a HD recording system that are industry standard now. (the only downside of this kind of equipment back then was the fact that they were never really stable all the time) Sarm Studio's had a similar system in 1983-84 and I believe Trevor Horn had his custom made too.

Just for the record (pun not intended) Equipment used on the Forever Young album included:

Arp Odyssey Mk II
Hohner-String-Ensemble
Korg MS-20
LinnDrum (Mk-2)
NED - Synclavier II
Oberheim OB-X
PPG Wave 2
Roland Juno-60
Roland System-100 (not the big 100M Wall beast)
Roland Jupiter-8 (X2)
Roland MC-4 Micro composer.

The forever young song features - The jupiter 8 playing the higher "harmony" solo sound and the Synclavier the main body of the solo.

The DX7 we got later on. The Poly-6 was something we had, but hardly used (it was used on Seeds and I think Elevator or Golden Feeling)

On Dreamscapes Disc#1 the demo of forever young was recorded at our workshop in Berlin. The other demo of forever young (Dreamscapes disc #7) was recorded at Studio 54 with pretty much the same equipment we used on the final mix. Also the demo on dreamscapes disc#1 has some alternative lyrics.
Last edited by Maomoondog on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nice. Somebody needs to do something like Pensado's Place for synths instead of mixing.

Maomoondog wrote:
The forever young song features - The jupiter 8 playing the higher "harmony" solo sound and the Synclavier the main body of the solo.

The DX7 we got later on. The Poly-6 was something we had, but hardly used (it was used on Seeds and I think Elevator or Golden Feeling)
Mr. Lloyd? :o So what did you use on the Demo version?
Induljon a banzáj!

Return to “Instruments”