Talk me out of getting REV

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Rev

It's just a bunch of samples being played backwards, right? The sound demos are mesmerizing...

I don't recall where I heard it but I remember a financial adviser giving good advice about avoiding impulse buys.
  1. Imagine you own the thing you are thinking about purchasing. Imagine you have it and use it for about a week or two.
  2. Now, further imagine someone walks up to you after that time and offers to pay you in cash, right now, what you paid for the item.
  3. If you are seriously considering the transaction in #2 then it's likely an impulse buy. You might not want to make the purchase.
Another way to consider this purchase is to ask yourself why you want it and what you'd use it for. Do you think you'd use it for years? At $200 it's pricy, but if you actively use the thing for, say, 2 years then that costs you about $8 a month, less than a netflix subscription.

At the end of the day it's your money and your choice. If you spend it here you can't spend it somewhere else.

It all comes down to whether you're money-poor or time-poor. If a director asks you for "something that sounds like the Twin Peaks dream scenes" on a major project, it's probably money well spent.

If you're composing music for somewhat less money, you've got to ask yourself how many times you can use the instrument without it getting old real fast? And, second how long would it take, for example, to simply grab a Kontakt instrument, trim and reverse the samples and reimport them into a new NKI? Yes, you've got to know which instruments to edit first and it takes a bit of time but…you've saved 200 bucks in the process.

I dare say the instrument took a while to complete. Trimming samples to work backwards reliably in most situations isn't straightforward.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks. great tips.

It's cool for what it is. Especially if, like someone else said, you need the effect quick and easy to throw in somewhere without having to get completely derailed into creating it.
Not a bad effect if used sparingly, (like most things) and definitely has its place.
That being said, it is pricey and use compared to price makes it not the best value.

Heh, I'm a totally wrong person to talk you out of getting REV, since I scripted it. :P

There are several things that make REV stand out. It's not "just" reversed samples... each and every playable key has samples of the exact same length, which is not the case when you take one sample, reverse it, stretch it, and play across the keyboard. If you hit a chord, all notes will start at the same time and END at the same time. I think that's a biggie.

Layering without needing to open another NKI (in Instruments and Timed Instruments patches). Not that special, but it definitely helps bringing in some detail to your sound.

Forwards samples! Yup, same thing with backwards samples, except reversed samples have been reversed yet again. So you can do a crossfade between a reversed and reverse reversed sample! :P (And the same thing applies - all keys have the same sample length, so notes in chords still end up at the same time).

Loops and Rises patches are extremely atmospheric and very usable. Effects arrays are quite powerful and can change the sound drastically. There are plenty of soundsources for each of four instrument types - I don't think you can NOT get inspired by this package. It has been immensely successful, and it was considered a "best new company launch" by some people at VI-Control. I'm really proud to have been a part of creating it.

Some considerations. It CAN be a bit CPU and RAM heavy. Especially if you use Timed Instruments patch, because it uses Time Machine Pro, which can gulp some serious CPU with more notes playing at once. We're working on v1.1 update that sorts out some audio dropout issue (only on some audio cards, like Apogee, RME, MOTU) that was a result of overzealous tempo sync scripting... I have a much better method in place that is more precise and takes much less CPU. Not sure when it's going to be released, but it's in the pipeline.

There you have it... I would also urge you to check out the VI-Control thread about it for some impressions: http://vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34705

http://theproaudiofiles.com/output-sounds-rev-review/

http://www.scorecastonline.com/2013/11/ ... by-output/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZLGgyXEKq8

Cool! Congrats on working on it!

Bought Rev this weekend during a Guitar Center sale.

great library. not at all what I thought it was which was just reversed samples.

Nice GUI btw. pretty deep library. I have only played around with presets for a bit, haven't had the time to dive in and devote time to this library - I think it might require the time.

Return to “Instruments”