Ableton Live and touch screens

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

is it touch screen friendly? i'm mainly thinking of using the touch screen for midi work ( drawing notes, changing velocities - that kind of stuff ).

I'd say no, Live's controls are too small for use with a touchscreen. Of course, if your touchscreen is HUGE, you might get away with it.
I'd try something like Touchable for the kind of things you'd like to do, if you have an iPad to your disposal.

BDeep wrote:I'd say no, Live's controls are too small for use with a touchscreen. Of course, if your touchscreen is HUGE, you might get away with it.
I'd try something like Touchable for the kind of things you'd like to do, if you have an iPad to your disposal.
it's NOT for controlling instruments but mainly for drawing notes. i'm thinking of using Live as midi only sequencer ( and let some hardware do the sounds ).

That's what I'm saying.

I think this:

Would be more suitable for touch than this:

YMMV

BDeep wrote:That's what I'm saying.

I think this:

Would be more suitable for touch than this:

YMMV
cool :tu: that's a great idea :clap:

Live is not touchscreen friendly
It requires another program to translate touch
There are one or two out there
But not Live specific
There was a live specific one for Live8
But it disappeared
The iPad stuff is good
Touchable and Lemur both do the stepseq thing well

Dave

:)

I just saw someone using a Viewsonic touchscreen on GS (not for Live, but VSTs). You know, if the screen is large enough and the resolution not too high, it might work. But my gut feeling tells me that Live's controls are too small, especially with notes where a pixel off determines whether you're going to extend the note, or move it. So I'd definitely would find some way to test drive it first before investing in a touchscreen. Or indeed try Touchable, that's 'only' a €21 loss if it doesn't work for you.

I've tried it and it ain't great... Touchable and Lemur are the way to go. Live itself isn't much fun on a touch screen. There was a usine touch setup for live that I haven't tried, it seemed easier/more fun to just do everything in usine...

BDeep wrote::)

I just saw someone using a Viewsonic touchscreen on GS (not for Live, but VSTs). You know, if the screen is large enough and the resolution not too high, it might work. But my gut feeling tells me that Live's controls are too small, especially with notes where a pixel off determines whether you're going to extend the note, or move it. So I'd definitely would find some way to test drive it first before investing in a touchscreen. Or indeed try Touchable, that's 'only' a €21 loss if it doesn't work for you.
Controlling GUI parameters of a plugin and drawing in notes does not equate to the same ease.
Yes its easy to control a plugin with touch screen if the GUI is large enough and even better if it is multi touch compatible (most JUCE based plugins).

But accurately drawing in notes and not having issues with left / right mouse click features can cause problems.

Live is not ready in this respect, Ive tried.
Its doable but its nowhere near as easy as with a mouse or a drawing tablet and pen.

You have this functionality on a computer (ie not an iPad or tablet) if you use WaveDNAs liquid rhythm which communicates directly with Lives API via max4live.
But this isnt really designed for 'drawing in notes'.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”