Reason 8 - Official

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

well, i skipped 7 and rebuilt my computer, so is this worth it, or I'm thinking FL producer for $10 more at mf? i do miss many of those instruments and fx. Many on the Prop forum aren't convinced either... and my old eyeballs need a full screen.
Maarkr
HW: Casio PX-5S, Roland FA-06 , Epi Les Paul, Ovation, Yamaha e-drums, Ibanez bass
SW: Intel i7-8700, Win 11-64 Pro, Studio One Pro, Waves, IK Multi, Izotope, NI

I hope they don't remove the right click create instrument.
The drag and drop features are great but we can already do much of the same already with the feature above.

I actually prefer to write in what i am searching for and use arrow keys to browse thru the filtered presets which brings up any devices and if this feature is removed i will say it is a step backwards since you have to add the preset to a track to hear it.

As it is now i will still wait and see but if new released Re's do work with my 7.1 version i guess my money will go to the new Rob Papen synth "RAW" which will be released this year and wait for Reason 9 ;)

maarkr wrote:well, i skipped 7 and rebuilt my computer, so is this worth it, or I'm thinking FL producer for $10 more at mf? i do miss many of those instruments and fx. Many on the Prop forum aren't convinced either... and my old eyeballs need a full screen.
Reason 8 is clearly geared toward the full DAW users and I'd say that includes most of R7's improvements as well. If you're thinking of working in FL Studio instead and perhaps rewiring Reason into it, then it wouldn't make much sense to upgrade to R8. FL Studio is unquestionably powerful. I've owned it for years, but unfortunately never did figure out how to love working in it. :neutral:

maarkr wrote:well, i skipped 7 and rebuilt my computer, so is this worth it, or I'm thinking FL producer for $10 more at mf? i do miss many of those instruments and fx. Many on the Prop forum aren't convinced either... and my old eyeballs need a full screen.
What do you mean about fullscreen ? Reason is fullscreen (and even up to 3 screens as it's my configuration) since r6 if i remember well.
Just ask to detach sequencer, rack and console and you get 3 windows which can all take full screen...
D-Fusion wrote:I hope they don't remove the right click create instrument.
The drag and drop features are great but we can already do much of the same already with the feature above.

I actually prefer to write in what i am searching for and use arrow keys to browse thru the filtered presets which brings up any devices and if this feature is removed i will say it is a step backwards since you have to add the preset to a track to hear it.

As it is now i will still wait and see but if new released Re's do work with my 7.1 version i guess my money will go to the new Rob Papen synth "RAW" which will be released this year and wait for Reason 9 ;)
I was asking the same in my head, but looks, every instrument still get the "open folder" button for presets ;) So it should remains with the new browser probably !

8 isn't lifechanging but 7 + 8 is a great upgrade IMO! There are a lot of things about 7 that made Reason way more fun/fast (buses, parallel channels, mixer controls in the rack, integrated REX creation) - that plus 8's MIDI upgrades and drag/drop will be a big upgrade. Also, Audiomatic is extremely fun and useful - it's all over all of my projects.

I'm considering spending my money on something other than 8 (maybe Live Suite or even upgrading my old Sonar to X3) but it strikes me as a waste of time/money when I'm so comfortable with those Reason devices. I do think the work they've done will pay off BIG with a few more rounds of feedback/tweaking - from my go with my friend's beta, the browser needs to be a bit smarter for it to be a big workflow upgrade for experienced users. Frankly, we weren't even sure why projects couldn't be backward compatible with 7 - there's just nothing different about our projects (which you couldn't say about any previous Reason update)!

that's what i did from 6.5... got a Sonar upgrade, and they've been offering great upgrades since. The workflow in Reason required large efforts to keep up with the details, where Sonar was just easier... and since it's been a couple of years now since I looked at 6.5, I thought it was not full screen, but my brain cells sometimes fail me. After Sep 30, I may buy it and get back into it just from the hype... been needing some new ideas for my next album.
Maarkr
HW: Casio PX-5S, Roland FA-06 , Epi Les Paul, Ovation, Yamaha e-drums, Ibanez bass
SW: Intel i7-8700, Win 11-64 Pro, Studio One Pro, Waves, IK Multi, Izotope, NI

No new RE in the box (softube? no, this is just replacement for line6)
No new feature like clip sessions in the Ableton, Bitwig
No VST sandbox (aka combinator in separate process)
No impulse responses feature in the RE
No audio freeze
No PDC
No Rewire
No...
Nothing new, nothing new to ask for $129 for this upgrade. The idea is that the new design/browser etc does not help me write song hits, lol. Change my music workflow? LOL New tools and RE can enhance my ability to work in Reason.

This should be a free upgrade i think or some 20-30$ for example..

napishu wrote:No new RE in the box (softube? no, this is just replacement for line6)
No new feature like clip sessions in the Ableton, Bitwig
No VST sandbox (aka combinator in separate process)
No impulse responses feature in the RE
No audio freeze
No PDC
No Rewire
No...
Nothing new, nothing new to ask for $129 for this upgrade. The idea is that the new design/browser etc does not help me write song hits, lol. Change my music workflow? LOL New tools and RE can enhance my ability to work in Reason.

This should be a free upgrade i think or some 20-30$ for example..
Yeah, I think the idea of workflow enhancement, via software, anyway, can be largely hype in the sense that: who doesn't already know how to get around their DAW of choice relatively easily? How many milliseconds will these enhancements save?

This is just not an upgrade you release when your DAW is so woefully lacking in so many other basic areas, and you certainly don't charge full price for it.

They've got a real problem with priorities at Propellerheads.
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

Deisss wrote:
What do you mean about fullscreen ? Reason is fullscreen (and even up to 3 screens as it's my configuration) since r6 if i remember well.
Just ask to detach sequencer, rack and console and you get 3 windows which can all take full screen...
D-Fusion wrote:I hope they don't remove the right click create instrument.

I was asking the same in my head, but looks, every instrument still get the "open folder" button for presets ;) So it should remains with the new browser probably !
True but then you first have to open up a instrument to browse instead of right click and select create instrument.

But i guess they won't remove that future anyway since it makes browsing for new sounds very fast and painless.
I am still not sold on this so i will have to wait and see what they come up with later.

stroker_ace wrote: Yeah, I think the idea of workflow enhancement, via software, anyway, can be largely hype in the sense that: who doesn't already know how to get around their DAW of choice relatively easily? How many milliseconds will these enhancements save?

This is just not an upgrade you release when your DAW is so woefully lacking in so many other basic areas, and you certainly don't charge full price for it.

They've got a real problem with priorities at Propellerheads.
On the contrary this browser overhaul is something many users have been wanting for years. The current one was introduced back in Reason 3 (2005) and has gotten progressively slower as people's accumulation of refills and samples has grown over time. It's an antiquated design that needed modernization and they took this opportunity to also implement drag and drop functionality throughout the application across numerous devices. From the looks of it they're also preparing the whole GUI framework for eventual scalability and hi-DPI screens. This update may not widely appeal to everyone as it currently looks, but I see it as a core foundation shift away from a bunch of the old program paradigms from the early and mid 2000s.

Since merging Record and Reason together it can no longer escape direct competitive comparisons to other more mature DAWs. Even though the Props have accelerated their development pace dramatically compared to the past, they're still behind the curve and every feature they add seems to merely draw greater attention to the features that are missing. An uphill battle, but they're continuing to move forward and even though R8 doesn't excite me that much I'm sure it'll be a solid dot.zero release on launch.

I agree, this seems to be a push towards acting as a better DAW, Unfortunately, this is not what I use (or was attracted) to Reason for.
(personally, i had no problems with no DnD)

I use it as an instrument/effects rack… a bit like I use Reaktor for. So, Id like to see more racks, and better support for things like poly pressure, voice per (midi) channel.

as for pricing, I wouldn't be surprised if they give away a RE to make it more attractive,
given the undeniable fact, that many have said the upgrade to 8, is a bit feature lacking/expensive,
I wonder if they will give away Parsec (or something of similar value)… in an attempt to get more people to upgrade. Id probably upgrade in that case… even though R8 doesn't add much for me.
( I know, will get complaints from those that already bought… but you can't please everyone all the time)

thetechnobear wrote:I agree, this seems to be a push towards acting better a DAW, Unfortunately, this is not what I use (or was attracted) to Reason for.
I use it as an instrument/effects rack… a bit like I use Reaktor for. So, Id like to see more racks, and better support for things like poly pressure, voice per (midi) channel.

as for pricing, I wouldn't be surprised if they give away a RE to make it more attractive,
given the undeniable fact, that many have said the upgrade to 8, is a bit feature lacking/expensive,
I wonder if they will give away Parsec (or something of similar value)… in an attempt to get more people to upgrade. Id probably upgrade in that case… even though R8 doesn't add much for me.
( I know, will get complaints from those that already bought… but you can't please everyone all the time)
For anyone running R6 or earlier I think it's a good value upgrade. As a Reason 7 user I feel kind of lukewarm about it. I don't mind updates that focus on the core application, but based on the current information they've provided I'm not that sold on it. "Workflow" has always been a tough sell, but maybe when the demo is released it'll be more convincing. The videos they've posted so far may have glossed over lots of minor cumulative tweaks and improvements. I hope that's the case.

I get where you're coming from on the Rack vs. DAW split. They've definitely been focusing more heavily on the latter with the past few releases and I can imagine plenty of Reason/Rewire users being disappointed with the direction it's been going.

They should have kept Record and Reason as separate product lines.

Or given the user the option to run in Rack or DAW mode or something that stops the mess that the current product has with invisible mixer patch-ins all over the rack. At V5 you could follow ALL audio movement in virtual cable form from beginning to end at your soundcard, all within the rack. Plus you could repatch anything at any point. Total flexibility. I'd rather do without SSL and have that back!

The SSL mixer console should be an optional patch in, rather than something all instruments automatically go through. Also it should adhere fully to the cable system - the way the cabling from the rack to the mixer works is awful; currently these virtual cables are invisible! The whole thing is just a mess on an HCI level - something this revamped GUI partially acknowledges but doesn't fix at the root component level.

If Apple is giving OS X Yosemite away free to Mavericks users, Propellerhead should give Reason 8 away free to Reason 7 users. There's not enough difference!

Reason 6 is essentially Record 2 and Reason 7 is Record 3. Thus this new Reason 8 is essentially Record 3.5.

Where is the *real* Reason 6 that should have followed Reason 5?

Tren wrote:They should have kept Record and Reason as separate product lines.

Or given the user the option to run in Rack or DAW mode or something that stops the mess that the current product has with invisible mixer patch-ins all over the rack. At V5 you could follow ALL audio movement in virtual cable form from beginning to end at your soundcard, all within the rack. Plus you could repatch anything at any point. Total flexibility. I'd rather do without SSL and have that back!

The SSL mixer console should be an optional patch in, rather than something all instruments automatically go through. Also it should adhere fully to the cable system - the way the cabling from the rack to the mixer works is awful; currently these virtual cables are invisible! The whole thing is just a mess on an HCI level - something this revamped GUI partially acknowledges but doesn't fix at the root component level.
Technically it is optional. Hold Shift when creating an instrument and it won't auto route. No SSL channel will be created, you can then route to the hardware interface if Rewire is what you are after. The routing flexibility is still there with the SSL mixer. Also if the 14:2 mixer is your thing you can still use it thus bypassing the SSL Mixer. Create a 14:2 then create your instruments. They will auto route the 14:2. Maybe I am not understanding you here.
KFish needs to answer a simple question. What is an outdated sound?

Tronam wrote: For anyone running R6 or earlier I think it's a good value upgrade. As a Reason 7 user I feel kind of lukewarm about it.
Yeah, they probably should be splitting the upgrades costs, as your getting incremental upgrades from previous version (a bargain if your still on R1 :)),
but I guess its not worth while for PH, as probably a large % are on latest version, so probably 7->8 would be the current price anyway.
Tronam wrote: I get where you're coming from on the Rack vs. DAW split. They've definitely been focusing more heavily on the latter with the past few releases and I can imagine plenty of Reason/Rewire users being disappointed with the direction it's been going.
yeah, at the end of they day, its up to PH, I guess they see themselves more as DAW provider (Ableton), than instruments (like NI).

Its a bit surprising to me…
I think Reason is 'relatively weak' as a DAW ( not a criticism, its just they are fairly new to the game), no VST support, limited midi editing etc… and its a very competitive market.
Yet, they are pretty strong on the instrument side, and have a 3rd party development platform (REs)

I guess PH see it differently, perhaps they think they cannot push REs without being a DAW ( though NI have done similar, with the Kontakt API and Reaktor)… perhaps one day they will swing the other way again (I hope!)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”