Why no love for Virsyn?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cube Poseidon TERA

zerocrossing wrote:Another thread on another forum (hardware orientated, so didn't seem like the place to post this) got me thinking that while I find my Virsyn instruments and effects to be some of the best available, yet they rarely ever get spoken of or mentioned here. If you compare Poseidon's resynthesis engine sound to Alchemy's it's clear that Poseidon's sounds better... yet it's almost never mentioned. Is it the iLok? Price? Horrible web site? :hihi:
Although this is an old thread, very expensive products and inferior product support is why no one mentions Virsyn around here.

I bought several of their products and they abandoned them. I cannot even use my serial for Cantor any more even though it is on the physical CD it was shipped with. When you enter it and it goes to look at their server, it gives an error. I can no longer use what I paid quite a bit for. I LOVED Cantor - it was better than ANY of the Vocaloids - but after they abandoned it, that was it. I emailed them many, many times and did not receive any replies I am aware of.

I have bought all of their iPad synths because I feel they create really excellent products - but forget about any real customer service.

If they just updated their software, gave proper and professional support and even talked with us here once in a while, they would get more 'Love' at KVR.

Mike
Last edited by Karmacomposer on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

When I think of VirSyn the word that first comes to mind is obsolete........... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Well, Cube and Tera are updated to 64-bit... does that help anyone's opinions of them? :-)

i'm playing around with them now in Logic 64-bit... not exactly comfortable with the GUIs in either synth, but they make neat sounds, and the randomizer really works well.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Well, Cube and Tera are updated to 64-bit... does that help anyone's opinions of them? :-)
Still too expensive

Some people are just not suited to running a plugin company, no matter how good their DSP skills are.

Though it is fascinating watching how the devs who started up in the first big wave of plugin popularity, like U-He, rgc:audio and Virsyn, have fared down through the years.

MICROTera was released as magware long ago. it has the waveshaping additive sound generation of TERA3
the only issue i've found with it is that you can only run one instance because wave drawing in
one instance affects the other instances. also, only 32bit support(a none issue for me running XPSP3)

other than that i enjoy it very much.

HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

After reading the OP I wanted to check out Poseidon.
http://www.virsyn.de/de/Products/POSEIDON/poseidon.html

Auf der Seite gibt es zwei verkleinerte Screenshots, auf denen man nichts erkennt und nur spärliche Infos in kleiner Schrift, die man nicht lesen will.
Möchte man sich eine Demo laden, wird man direkt mit eLicenser Dongle belästigt.

Die Demos klingen nur teilweise interessant, und statt in einem komfortablen Player auf der Website eingebunden zu sein, muss man alle einzeln anklicken.

Omg ... I now I accidently wrote in german ... I am tired.
Again the same in english:

On the site there are two resized screenshots, where you can see like nothing.
Information in the text is not really explaining a lot, and the text is in very small letters and not attractive to read.
If you want to download the demo, the first thing you see is some annoying "get an eLicenser Dongle".

Audio demos are only a bit interesting, and instead of having a comfortable player on the website, you have to click on every MP3 seperatly.

This killed any interest I might have had in the plugins, and I will probably never visit this developers site again (not even, if he has new plugins).

Also there is this feeling, that the dev does not care very much.
And if he does not care very much, he might not have good support (just an assumption from seeing this extremely lazy website).

Some of those plugins might be quite interesting, but there is more than enough competition!
There are so many exotic synths nowadays ... so being exotic is just not enough anymore. You have to appeal to the audience.
And if you want to use a dongle, you should have something really special to offer: A must-have, which can't be replaced.

It's really love/hate with Virsyn. I am currently using Tera and sold my Prophet 08 since. The DSP behind it is really strong and low CPU usage if you watch your voices.. You can compete with the big names if you know how HW synths behave behind the scenes with filter tracking, slopes and randomisation, osc blends, waveshape, additive etc.. It a good compromise synth with many modern and unique features but it takes a bit of work to make it sound awesome. the are some very minor GUI glitches on the product but it's completely usable.

The programmer is not very easy to deal with although he has helped me on a few occasions. i have a feeling he is trying to monetize his platform meet by going to Ipad route which is understandable. I would love to see larger updates on Virsyn but it is possible the product is where it should be.

Strange company...

No one speaks about it, no one have it and no real adverts...

So actually how they make their money???

Virsyn makes absolutely excellent synths. Original and superb sounding. So the programming skills are obviously there. Unfortunately there is a long history of bad communication, offending customers, bad support and a long period where they just neglected everything to focus on iCrap. Annoying CP is also a huge negative (does not apply to all of their products though).

Also their synths are pretty expensive (like a lot of stuff that is made in Germany) per se but actually when quality and features are considered its quite fair.
No signature here!

the prices are to expensive and it feels like every moment the the company is dead and you lose your money.

i really loved TERA in the past, used naughty version as i was young.

they feel not uptodate ...

Ameyah Audio wrote:the prices are to expensive and it feels like every moment the the company is dead and you lose your money.

i really loved TERA in the past, used naughty version as i was young.

they feel not uptodate ...
though they did release 64bit versions
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

I downloaded the demo and discovered that whole functions didn't work. Wrote to company, no response.

Shame because this thing kicks ass. Amazing synth but I don't dare purchase it with all the bugs and no communication.

It's like they don't even care if they make money or not.

I've demoed Tera a few times and really like it. Expensive though.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:I've demoed Tera a few times and really like it. Expensive though.
I would not say that it's that expensive at 170 eur as you do get basically 7 synths + mini tera. And it does sound really good. You can call me crazy but Virsyn synths do have kind of distinct sound I'd call the German analogue sound.
No signature here!

Return to “Instruments”