KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC03 August 2014 - Voting period has ended, Winners announced (pg 17)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And the results are in. Thanks to Uncle E for handling the voting this time around.

The results are as following:
  1. Photonic 19 points
  2. Solidtrax 17 points
  3. Doc Jon 14 points
  4. Shroom Feverish 13 points
  5. blind 11 points
  6. chaosbringer 8 points
  7. davias 8 points
  8. junitoh 8 points
  9. jimmy deer 6 points
  10. headphone 4 points
  11. audio fidelity 3 points
  12. frankt_arran 3 points
  13. psycho43142 3 points
  14. denstrow 2 points
  15. mwaudioprod 2 points
  16. studio compyfox 2 points
  17. camsr 0 points
  18. grant s 0 points
  19. h-man 0 points
  20. lunachris 0 points
  21. satyatunes 0 points
  22. shere kaan 0 points
  23. softska 0 points

The winners podium is taken by:
Photonic 19 points
Solidtrax 17 points
Doc Jon 14 points

Due to the participants /4 (rounded down) rule, we have 5 license winners, which are (in order):
Photonic, Solidtrax, Doc Jon, Shroom Feverish, blind

And our (final) random voter license goes to:
bassbreakers

(random voter license was declared by 100 list shuffles from the users not winning a license, with drawing one name every 20 list randomization. The final winner out of the 5 drawn names was declared by hitting the randomize button another 35 times. The top spot was declared the winner)

:arrow: How do we go from there:
Like with the MC's before, the winners (in order of their rank) can now select a license of their choice out of the available pool. First come, first serve. If you're not interested in a license, your license will go back into the pool.

The "random voter license" winner can pick from either the available Sonivox or UVI licenses.

Thank you once more for your participation - and congratulation to the winners. Sure was an interesting challenge, with an even more interesting outcome.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Congratulations to Photonic with winning MC3!! :clap:

And thanks to all the voters to award me with so much points that I finished second! Wow!

Also, congratulations to Doc John, Shroom Feverish and blind for their top5 finish!

Thanks to the MC organisation to make this happen!! :tu:
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

This competition is a f**king joke.

Only an artist should choose what they like for their mix. Not a bunch of hobbyists with no ear for music.

Almost of all the mixes are muffled low quality pieces of shit.

And compyfox, you need to shut the f**k up with your pompous, "i know more than f**king you", cause I can talk about bullshit technical jargon like RMS levels and DC offset, that doesn't mean shit. Your mix was by far of the lowest quality. Reading your tedious posts after page after page was nails on a chalkboard. I'd love to punch you in the face for leading others that know less to feel like your superior.

Never will I waste my time with such bullshit. Go ahead and give me shit cause your insecure and can feel better about your own faults, but better yet, go out and make f**king music that doesn't suck ass. And don't be a pretentious easy-going asshole about it either cause your too scared to follow a better path.

Or go ahead and delete this post so you can act like it never happened.
music is life

wow, I am speechless! :o

Thank you very and for all the votes I got. Today is my first day at the vacation destination. And the first thing I did after taking my coffee is to look here in the forum. What a start of this week :D :D :D

Concrats to Solidtrax, Doc John, Shroom Feverish and blind for their top places!

The second amazing thing is the prize pool. I allready have a lot of Urs stuff - but not Satin! This great plugin is my choice.

Thanx again ! :tu: :hug: :party:
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

photonic wrote:wow, I am speechless! :o

Thank you very and for all the votes I got. Today is my first day at the vacation destination. And the first thing I did after taking my coffee is to look here in the forum. What a start of this week :D :D :D

Concrats to Solidtrax, Doc John, Shroom Feverish and blind for their top places!

The second amazing thing is the prize pool. I allready have a lot of Urs stuff - but not Satin! This great plugin is my choice.

Thanx again ! :tu: :hug: :party:
Congratulations with Satin!

I would like to pick the Tone2 bundle! Thanks!! :tu:
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Congrats to the top 3. All interesting mixes but I have to agree with Uncle E's ME. I think all of them would have been sent back to the AE. I do however agree with the top 4. Hope to hear the final mastered version when Eric gets a mix he can live with. A really great tune and some solid efforts. Congrats to all

Hey that's great news!
Congrats to Photonic, Solidtrax, Shroom Feverish and blind
Thanks to all

I'll have Sonivox Vocalizer please :tu:

Jon

Ah, this is about the mix by AudioFidelity Productions.
I think this should be made clear before any further possible hate posts happen. And I do say, this escalated quickly.

Bass108 wrote:This competition is a f**king joke.

Only an artist should choose what they like for their mix. Not a bunch of hobbyists with no ear for music.
As a matter of fact, we the initiators (headmaster Uncle E, Satyatunes and I) are currently discussing a change of course on that.

Bass108 wrote:Almost of all the mixes are muffled low quality pieces of shit.

And compyfox, you need to shut the f**k up with your pompous, "i know more than f**king you", cause I can talk about bullshit technical jargon like RMS levels and DC offset, that doesn't mean shit. Your mix was by far of the lowest quality. Reading your tedious posts after page after page was nails on a chalkboard. I'd love to punch you in the face for leading others that know less to feel like your superior.
I actually wanted to write "then you blew your chance with this challenge", but then I dug into your post history and found out that you were a MC03 participant.

It hurts to be on the second to last spot - I can definitely agree with and relate to that. You actually have 3 points, so you're even spot higher than me. The thing is however, the current voting system doesn't go after "my thinking" or "my personal preference". Heck not even the preference by Eric Dahlberg (Uncle E), the song provider himself (who has his own favorites). The winners were declared by popular vote, as can be read in the current revision of the rule book.

The statistics sheet is an indicator - not a "rule book". You as audio engineer (if you act like one) should know that and improve on the info's given to you. You might argue about it, I also take your offer for a punch in the face. But it seems like criticism is not your strong suit.

My submission does sound muffled no doubt (which is an easier fix than those people that have mix issues - your track included! You have clipping and went away with the original vocal placement concept), but it's absolutely not low quality. At least IMO, and probably not to others as well. And yes, I am tasting my own medicine if I now post an A/B with my very first entry, but with applied EQ (that I actually posted several times - but here they are again, depending on the EQ: actually Low Shelf @65Hz, -4dB to -5dB // Bell @350Hz, -2dB, narrow Q // High Shelf @8kHz, +3dB) to lift the curtain.

Here is the A/B version that I cobbled together in 10 minutes (not! a mix revision):
If I get lost - Studio Compyfox A/B version
First half: original
Second half: EQ/correction on bus

Might not sound like much, but it is(!) lifting the curtain. Try to do that with other entries that have issues with the vocal mix, or imbalanced instruments and it's suddenly not as simple. So a revision is actually needed in this case - one major difference for starters.

If you'd also listen closely to my entry, I put a lot of effort into the vocals alone. Meaning: placement (timing) and letting the vocals sound as if they are from one recording session, not several. Something that the majority in fact, did not do. This alone took me several hours from roughly 13 hours of editing, just for paying attention to detail.

I am a participant like you are. And I put as much effort into a mix, with the time I have at my disposal, like you do. If you say "your mix is sh*t", then so be it. That's your personal opinion. But throwing around insults, just because you made third to last place and kind of mix up that I "seem to" run/own/declare the challenge (which is not the case - I'm just the most active in terms of thread management), is contra productive.

Bass108 wrote:Never will I waste my time with such bullshit. Go ahead and give me shit cause your insecure and can feel better about your own faults, but better yet, go out and make f**king music that doesn't suck ass. And don't be a pretentious easy-going asshole about it either cause your too scared to follow a better path.

Or go ahead and delete this post so you can act like it never happened.
You "wasted" several hours yourself with joining the Mix Challenge for fun and games(!), and now you're not happy with the results. I get that - I can relate to the feeling.

But calling others a rear end and "insecure" because they obviously can't mix jack, or don't know what they are talking about (or something that you can not agree with), is always simpler than realizing "wait - there did go something wrong - I take it as opportunity and learn from it".

Sorry, but you just went into the "penalty box" yourself.
Two minutes for unsporting conduct.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

CamelPhat is my pick.

Thanks!

Congratulations to Photonic, Solidtrax and Doc Jon for the best mixes! :party: Also congratulations to Shroom Feverish and blind for the license price! :party: Have a nice day!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats to Photonic and the top 5 :D :D

your mix was one of the cleanest, but lively ^^
But I found the kick was too thin to my (techno) taste :)

You were not in my top 3 but in my top 5 for that ;)

I'm honored to have reached the 8-6th position this time ^^ thanks to all who voted for me.

Good mixes overall, interesting competition.
There was a mix completely crazy in the rhythm :D

Hope I could participate to MC04 :)

Cheers all ^^

Edit : better english and precisions.

Congrats to the winners, well deserved!
Many thanks also to the organizers, Uncle E, Compyfox and Satyatunes!
Re hate mail: Oh, boy, you need to chill, seriously! If THIS contest is already making you so angry you might want to do something totally different...

Cheers
Frank

Congratulations Photonic, Solidtrax, Doc Jon, Shroom Feverish and blind.

License winners, please send me your Full Name and E-mail through PM. I got your choices from this thread but still would appreciate if you mention it in the PM. Sponsors will send the license/prize details to you directly.

Bassbreakers - Congratulations. Please send a PM to Uncle E with your choice of plugin and details (Full name, e-mail).
Bass108 wrote:
This competition is a f**king joke.
Only an artist should choose what they like for their mix.
By artist, if you meant the song provider, then I agree. Most probably the future contests (even MC04, not sure yet) will take this route.
Last edited by satYatunes on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Davias wrote: your mix was one of the cleanest, but lively ^^
But I found the kick was too thin to my (techno) taste :)
You were not in my top 3 but in my top 5 for that ;)
Exactly my feeling. Apart from Kick, I found the snare a bit weak too. Otherwise, it was in my top 5. Enjoy your vacation.

You and Shroom are the only participant whose performance is consistent so far since MC01. Keep it up guys.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Bass108 wrote:Only an artist should choose what they like for their mix.
Yes, you're right. We've already decided that this is what we'll be doing for future Mix Challenges, maybe even MC04. At the end of the day, our job is to please the client, not anyone else.

Return to “Production Techniques”