Amd fx-8350 Intel i7 4790

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I OC'd the FX-8320 to 4.4 and it's been great. Fantastic bang for the buck!
John
"B4serenity"

I'd love to have two side by side to see what they do. I think though that I'll not build an AMD just to find out :hihi:

Honestly, it's up to you. In my searches, the i7 looked like the best bet, if the amd is doing it for you......that is awesome.

I would like to go AMD but if the difference is that big that it seems it is, i will have to go Intel.

Voice303 wrote:A better comparison is FX-9590 ($279) vs i7 4790K ($339).

They are pretty close when you look at them in a threaded workload, HOWEVER, single core performance can be very important for avoiding crackling on single threaded synths with no voice spreading such as Reaktor.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

4790 knocks FX-9590 out of this galaxy in single thread performance before overclocking... after overclocking its knocked out of the universe :hihi:

Don't cheap out, get the i7 you will not regret it.
this.

you cant compare the 4790 to the 8350.

id offer an opposing opinion though.

i say dont waste your money. you can have either of these for less than those prices. you can also get an amd mobo cheaper than a comparable intel one. you will never *notice* the difference in performance.

unless you already have the mobo for the intel...it doesnt make economic sense. use your cash wisely and get more for your money.

of course thats just my way of looking at it. you should get whichever one you feel is best for you. you wouldnt really regret either choice.

just for a little perspective i have a phenom x6 1100t. which is below both the 4790 and the 9590. ive never had the slightest problem using my daw or any number of plug ins. i dont get cracking or popping or any other artifacts...i dont have to freeze anything, and i run with low latency.

its perfectly fine.
ImageImageImage

I dare say AMD cpus are more targetted towards the server market now. 2 cores on an AMD cpu share one floating point processor, a possible source of contention.

Thank for the answers.

The fx-9590 is nice, but 220w is too much. That's why i'm allso a bit sceptical to fx-8350 at 125w, but the upcomming 8370e looks better at 95w. Reason is i want to go as much fanless i can and the psu will absolutely go fanless. In the beginning i allso thought about going fanless on the cpu, but i will not now i think. But quiet case i will do. I don't have any mobos or anything(running an old computer) i will start from scratch. I will use some vst that i can't run on this computer, like uhe ace and Polykb II. Maybe Aether. I will be running Live and try to use much of the internal effects.

jcschild wrote:how about actual numbers

AMD 8350 @4.8GHz
32 80
64 83
128 86

compared to 3770k @ 4.5GHz

32 103
64 116
128 123
Ok then. And how about ACTUAL numbers? Not tests run under 32bit emulation modes..

fx8350 @4.0ghz (stock)
Win7 x64
RME HDSPe/ Digiface
RXC-EXT (x64)

Cubase 7.5.20 (x64)
32 buffer 112
64 buffer 128
128 buffer 142

Reaper 4.7 (x64)
32 buffer 100
64 buffer 126
128 buffer 150
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

camsr wrote:I dare say AMD cpus are more targetted towards the server market now. 2 cores on an AMD cpu share one floating point processor, a possible source of contention.
You never ever ever run anything DAW related with JUST the fpu. The fpu only does the number crunching with floating point numbers. Everything memory related or integer based(buffers, delays etc etc) is still run on the 8 integer and logic cores the AMD cpus DO have.
This is evidenced by perfect scaling on 8 threads. Meaning you can max out the CPU with a synth in a DAW so that it's at the edge of crackling out.. then add 7 more.. performance stays the same. Perfect scaling. So it really doesn't seem to have much difference if it has a shared fpu or not (except on synthetic benchmarks).
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

chaosWyrM wrote:
Voice303 wrote: just for a little perspective i have a phenom x6 1100t. which is below both the 4790 and the 9590. ive never had the slightest problem using my daw or any number of plug ins. i dont get cracking or popping or any other artifacts...i dont have to freeze anything, and i run with low latency.

its perfectly fine.
I got the same CPU, it was the best AMD available back when I built this computer. I know AMD is not as powerful as Intel, but I shun Intel, period.
Unfortunately I can't confirm your observations, though. Maybe there is something wrong with the other components, or with my configuration or whatever because I can't use stuff like U-he and similar synths, I do get cracking and all that. It's OK, though, I am not a pro.

I read somewhere that AMD has said they no longer compete with Intel for the CPU crown :(

As computing moves away from conventional computers to tablets, smart phones etc., maybe one of those other CPU makers will catch up with Intel and spread from the mobile world to conventional computers.

Regarding the low prices of AMD chips, I wonder why Asus etc. don't make motherboards housing 2 or even 4 AMD CPU's on one board.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
Voice303 wrote: just for a little perspective i have a phenom x6 1100t. which is below both the 4790 and the 9590. ive never had the slightest problem using my daw or any number of plug ins. i dont get cracking or popping or any other artifacts...i dont have to freeze anything, and i run with low latency.

its perfectly fine.
I got the same CPU, it was the best AMD available back when I built this computer. I know AMD is not as powerful as Intel, but I shun Intel, period.
Unfortunately I can't confirm your observations, though. Maybe there is something wrong with the other components, or with my configuration or whatever because I can't use stuff like U-he and similar synths, I do get cracking and all that. It's OK, though, I am not a pro.

I read somewhere that AMD has said they no longer compete with Intel for the CPU crown :(

As computing moves away from conventional computers to tablets, smart phones etc., maybe one of those other CPU makers will catch up with Intel and spread from the mobile world to conventional computers.

Regarding the low prices of AMD chips, I wonder why Asus etc. don't make motherboards housing 2 or even 4 AMD CPU's on one board.
Asus do make dual CPU AMD mobos, for a price - $419 :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131643

Yes, but I meant for normal end users, not servers :)

I remember when I built my first computer several companies made such boards for personal computers.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, but I meant for normal end users, not servers :)

I remember when I built my first computer several companies made such boards for personal computers.

It will be expensive whatever usage you had in mind :-)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”