How long till we get support for VST3 presets?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I load any VST3 that relies on the host to load/browse presets (such as Padshop Pro) then there are no presets showing and clicking on the load preset button gives this message 'there aren't any presets defined for this plugin type'. Same with most AU's such as the Waldorf Edition plugins and OBXD.

So VST3 preset support is non existent - AU preset support is almost as bad. This is a long standing problem that is still to be addressed.

Edited title - aupreset support is here now although not perfect
Last edited by aMUSEd on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Actually I've updated this as the latest Sinevibes plugins don't show their presets now either - there seems to be no way to access them. So now I can't find any AU's that rely on the host to load and save presets that work properly.

Hi aMUSEd, I've added support for aupreset files now. They should appear when you press the usual "Load" button. You can also save to them in a similar way to fxb/fxp files.

I've looked into vstpreset but as far as I can tell it seems to be Steinberg specific. Are there any non-Steinberg plugins that rely on that file format?

Yes - the Waldorf edition plugins for starters. Maybe more that I don't have? vstpreset is the default preset format for VST3 so any plugin host that loads VST3 plugins should really support it just as au plugins need aupreset support. Certainly it is supported in Studio One which probably has the best VST3 support outside of Steinberg hosts.

Vstpreset format support still needed

The point is it isn't a question of whether these are Steinberg plugins that use this format (which they are but not exclusively) but that any plugin that relies on the host to load and save presets has a standard preset format type for that type of plugin so that any host can be relied on to load and save its presets. It's about consistency. For VST 2 it is fxb/p, for AU it is aupreset and for VST3 it is vstpreset. Hosts that don't adhere to those standards make it impossible to rely on them to load plugins in that format, for example suppose Sinevibes, whose plugins all rely on host support for preset loading, decided to make VST3 plugins - Tracktion would not be able to load their presets either.

This any use in the meantime?

https://code.google.com/p/fxtractor/
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Thanks, I think that tool was just made for people who had created vstpreset files for VST2 plugins but needed to get back a fxp version to use in other hosts (because Steinberg removed the ability to save out a fxp file). It won't work for proper VST3 plugins like Padshop though because they don't use fxp in the first place.

Does it definitely not work? I don't really know anything about this, but I skim read something that suggested the .vstpreset is just a wrapper around fxp files ... may be incorrect though ....

I don't have anything I can use to try this, to know myself, I don't think

I haven't tested it as I'm not on Windows and it's a Win app but I can't see how it could work with a VST3 plugin because even if you load the VST3 plugin into a host that does support loading presets (eg S1) you only get an option to load vstpresets, because that is what the host expects from the plugin type, the loader doesn't even 'see' fxp presets. In Tracktion it's even worse as if you load a VST3 plugin there and go to the load preset button it just tells you "there aren't any presets defined for this plugin type" - so there's no way to get your fxp into the plugin. If it was a VST2 plugin it would be different, the load button would know it's VST2.4 and that the filetypes it supports for presets are fxp and fxb.

Apparently it builds in Mono, so it's not really a windows app. But I take your point.
It's not something I know a lot about, just thought it might help as a workaround, but if not, no worries :)

Ah right, I was reading where it said it needed .Net so thought it was Windows. But yes, unfortunately I still can't see how I would ever get the fxp's into the VST3 plugins in T5.

I edited the title as aupreset support is in T5 now. However I have found some problems with it - namely it doesn't seem to recognise folders of presets so with some plugins you just end up with a disorganised mess of hundreds of presets in no particular order (and a lot missing as they are cutoff the screen).

I think the only logical solution to this would be to incorporate preset handling into a browser window - it seems to me that aupreset and vstpreset handling generally seems to assume a browser based interface as they are all individual presets organised into subfolders, not separate banks as in fxb. That's how it is handled in Studio One, Logic and Live.

Come on TSC guys, I'm running out of FRs, you've actually got T6 95% perfect for me but there's just this last annoying (but big) issue, full support for AU and VST3 plugin presets. Bung 'em in the browser!

Bump, about time this was sorted once and for all.

Return to “Tracktion”