What to do ? (Loudness Equalization)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hello,

as i started learnig Zebra 2, i had the "Loudness Equalization" checked (windows7).
And during the time i saved all my Zebra 2 presets.

Now i discovered it.
When i unchek it, then the presets aren't the same anymore (not loud enough, no punch anymore).

Do i have to re-develop all presets? Or is there another way to get them to the old state but without the "Loudness Equalization" ?

I don't know what to do.

The fact that everyone is using different soundcards,headphones,speakers, etc. gets me to the question, how are your settings?
In case you want to sell your presets.

best regards

If the presets sound good as they are, why change the settings? I believe this one in particular just makes sure that as you move through the waves you created that they are the same loudness. It should give you more consistent volume as you sweep the table.

Loudness equalization is something that happens way outside of your host software, so it's far beyond anywhere a mere plugin could go.

Think of it as putting an analog EQ and/or compressor FX box between your computer and your speakers. If you have them turned on, save all your presets, and then turn those FX boxes off - there's just no way a plugin could compensate for that external change. :shrug:

Unfortunately, the only two options you have are to either leave your patches as dull as they may sound now, or to invest the time and edit them all again. :(
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

I am relatively new to synths and do things wrong at the moment.
When i decide to sell presets in the future (in 1 year or so), are there any "must have" rules/settings before i start to develop presets?

I won't do the work again, like it happend with the loudness equalization.
It would just frustrating me and maybe i would regret buying Zebra or any other synth later.

So any advices would help me.

best regards

Regarding loudness, consistency is good. Recent patch competitions had a guideline of -6db maximum for one voice/monophonic or three voices/polyphonic, which is pretty sensible.

Equalization on the other hand is more of an art, maybe because everything can have an impact on spectral balance. Could say a lot here but most of it would be sort of obtuse, so just one obtuse thing: I think maybe the most musical things don't have fixed rules but a good progression.

Return to “u-he”