Trigger Sampler Recording

Official support for: tx16wx.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello community,

i just started using the tx16wx sampler (free version) today. I want to use it inside a self written vst host so that i can control it using external tools/hardware (for example a custom written android app). It seems like there is a lot i can control using MIDI and Parameters but there is one thing i didn't figure out yet. Is there any way to toggle the sampler recording from the Host using e.g. MIDI? I looked for quite a while now but couldn't find a way to do so.

If there isn't a way...Should i maybe look for a simpler sampler as the main features i need are recording and playing audio controlled by MIDI and also: recording audio and play it one MIDI Note while shifting the pitch (or even just scale) accordingly..

Regards,
ExTheSea

There is no MIDI trigger for audio recording. There is "record on transport start", but that is VST/AU host interfaces.
I will add it as a feature request to have recording start iff a MIDI CC > 63 or something. Is that what you need?
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

That would be exactly what i need but i would also need a way total stop the recording from the host. Start in Transport might work too because i can just make it so that i only send audio to the plugin when I want to record something. In that case I would still need a way to stop the recording though... this is also not possible from the host right now...right? It doesn't necessarily be over midi as I have full control over the code of the host application.
Thank you for your reply :-)

I think I requested the same thing ages ago. I'd love to be able to trigger sample recording on the fly from a controller or by using one of the automatable parameters.

There is also no other way to trigger the toogle recording function/button like a keyboard shortcut or something.. it's just that i need the sampler for an application I'll use during a live performance and using a mouse while performing isn't really great...especially when the click has to be timed as good as is required for starting and stopping a recording.

If there is no way does someone know of a another (simpler, preferably freeware) sampler i can use until the feature eventually be integrated in tx16wx? I really want to use this tool because the features offered for free here are so amazing and easy to use (compliment to the developer ;) ) but i might need a temporary solution until this "problem" will be "fixed".

IXIX wrote:I think I requested the same thing ages ago. I'd love to be able to trigger sample recording on the fly from a controller or by using one of the automatable parameters.
Actually, I think what we talked about there was more general "MIDI control" over UI aspects, akin to old school samplers where you could assign a MIDI key as "op-key", and other keys to various operations. I've really wanted to build this for some time now, but its kinda big. A MIDI CC threshold for sampling is obviously easier. ;-)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Keep doing what you do Calle, it's all good. I'm pretty much out of action musically for a while anyway so even if you implemented all my FRs tomorrow I still wouldn't get the benefit for weeks.

Will you implement this feature (control recording using CC)? If so when will it roughly be released. I'm not expecting any specific date I'm just wondering whether I should look for a temporary replacement or not....
Thanks again for all the replies :)

I've put an experimental build up in the beta section that adds sampler trigger via Midi CC or key (CC over 63, key held). You can select Midi channel (or omni), CC # and trigger key. Let me know if this does what you want.

(Recording is stopped when CC <= 63 or key is released, thus you can do repeated sampling. Can also be combined with auto keymap to do reasonably rapid multisampling).
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Question: why CC over 63? Usually the midpoint is taken as 64. So 0-63 = off, 64-127 = on. At least that's how sustain pedal and some other toggle CCs etc. are interpreted as far as GM spec goes. AFAIK.

In a range 0-127, "over 63" is 64-127. Its a typo in my post, "CC <= 63" it should read.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

I just came around to trying it and that's exactly what i need :) Thank you already for that :)
Unfortunately i seem to be getting some unhandled exception when testing it out.
When I test the plugin in Hermann Seib's VST Host application sampling, recording, ... seems to work fine. The only problem occurs when i close the window in which the plugin Editor was opened as i'm getting an unhandled exception. This isn't really a big deal for me though as i use Hermann Seib's Vst Host only for testing purposes i just wanted to inform you.
The big problem i have is when i try it in my own self written VST Host (written in C# using VST.NET and NAudio; other plugins work fine). As soon as i stop recording (doesn't matter if triggered using UI, midi CC or midi note; also starting the recording works fine) it throws an unhandled exception. I also don't get any errors in my application even though i'm pretty sure that i'm making a mistake here (this problem might also not be present only in the beta as i didn't try the original build inside my own host). The plugin is getting a 16 channel stereo byte array as input and a similar setup one as output. Might there be the problem?

I originally wanted to attach debug files but i wasn't able to generate them (plugin can't read system properties).

I have no idea what you mean by "16 channel stereo byte array", but I hope it is something different from the literal meaning, since VST input/output is 32 or 64-bit float data.
Anyhow, I need a dump to figure out what your issue might be. If you're having problems creating dumps (error message from the "create dump" dialog), you most are running with a dbghelp v6.4 or higher. I just noticed an incompatibility there. I have fixed this in the beta build, so a re-download might allow you to create said dump file for me.
Cheers
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

No I didn't mean 16 bit byte array. Tx16wx seems to have (from what I saw) an input with 2 stereo channels and the output has 4 stereo channel + 8 mono channel. At least that's what it looks like at the top of the window, the output settings screen and the configuration window in the test host.....hence the 16 channels for the output. A channel is a 32 bit float array with the length being the samplerate (don't quote me on that though as I A don't have my code open right now and B I probably still didn't fully understand vst.net & audio programming). Using an audio stream with less channels also causes an immediate unhandled exception + an exception in my host and I can't change the amount of output channels with the free version as far as I can tell.
I will test the new version as soon as I can and then I will report back (hopefully with a debug log)..

TX16Wx has a single stereo input actually. And audio buffers should be at least "buffer size" in length, i.e. the value the host reports to the plug-in as being the max number of frames processed in one call. Buffer size thus represents sample rate / buf size seconds of audio data.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Return to “CWITEC”