Aphex Twin - Syro

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:It's the kids that buy records for the most part ;)
No, its kids that DL from iTrash for the most part. Adults buy records.

Kriminal wrote:
What's a record?

;)

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
What's a record?

;)
9.58 for the 100m :wink:

n/m
Last edited by scintillator on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

scintillator wrote:"Plugins, various" - that's quite an attitude your having there, boyo!!! :x
Any mention of Plugouts ?

Numanoid wrote:
e@rs wrote:Sunsyn x2, C.O.D.E. 8, Mpressor... Lucky mf!
So this is the gear used?

Yup! Or maybe he compiled a list with amazing hardware just to make us drool and actually used only Renoise. :hihi:

That Jomox really need to be viewed from the rear, that's one massive synth.

Probably no need for a heater-radiator if you got that in the house :D

masterhiggins wrote: To hell with the kids.

-Sam
new product? well, you know, "sire owe"
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Numanoid wrote:That Jomox really need to be viewed from the rear, that's one massive synth.
Sexiest back ever?

I'm enjoying the Minipops track so far. Really has that classic Aphex vibe to it. Takes me right back to the mid Nineties when making electronic music meant being an eccentric artist with a room full of black boxes and crazy machines - an impenetrable world to most people which has a lot of romanticism to me. I try and keep that world alive with the music I make and listen to, as an attempt to fight off the oncoming wall of crushing ubiquitous confomrity which appears to be advancing from all sides.

His music isn't afraid to be flawed. There are parts of the minipops track that almost sound like the track stumbling over it's-self. This kind of thing would never fly under the watchful eye of Perfect Production Masterclass 101 Big Brother. You can be flawed as you like if you're also unique and have a lot to say. And good Aphex has a lot to say to me.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

At least that was how it was when I was young, these days they might just be downloading via PirateBay, so that perceived youth market is gone anyhow :P
That's the conventional wisdom, I'm not sure that it's as universally true as that though, especially when it comes to music not aimed at the mainstream. It wasn't kids replacing their "Eagles" vinyl with CDs in the eighties. I suspect that the biggest market for Aphex Twin today are those old enough to have nostalgia for the early days of the rave scene.

I wasn't a kid when I purchased Analogue Bubblebath, and neither were any of the many other fans that I knew at the time. AFAIK, kids have never been the primary market of IDM, in the same way that they weren't the primary market for AOR in the late 70s. IDM is something of a modern "adult contemporary."

That said, I don't like the record all that much, Selected Ambient Works is probably my most played album of all time by at least one order of magnitude, but nothing else by him really comes close.

YMMV

ghettosynth wrote:...kids have never been the primary market of IDM...
...so they invented EDM.

Not really, EDM is just a modern marketing term for an old (ancient!) concept.

In it's modern form, as you probably know, dance music been around a lot longer than "EDM the brand" (which is what it's been reduced to over the last few years).
... space is the place ...

Wikipedia: 'In 2010, the acronym "EDM" was adopted by the American music industry and music press as a buzzword to describe the increasingly commercial US electronic dance music scene.'.

That's the EDM I was talking.

e@rs wrote:Wikipedia: 'In 2010, the acronym "EDM" was adopted by the American music industry and music press as a buzzword to describe the increasingly commercial US electronic dance music scene.'.

That's the EDM I was talking.
Yes, like techno, the commercial music industry has again adopted a phrase to mean something different than what it once meant, only, in the reverse direction. Techno means a specific style of music, the industry adopted it to mean generic commercial and underground electronic dance music. So, EDM came into fashion as an umbrella term for all Electronic Dance Music, see, it makes sense. In recent years, however, people with limited exposure to EDM hear some shit "main room" house, god I hate that phrase too, get told that it's "EDM", so now EDM has come to mean shit mainstream electronic dance music.

None of this has any relevance to my comment, however, which is referring to IDM. Aphex Twin is EDM under a generic definition, but not under this new interpretation. Hence, the fact that kids buy EDM has nothing to do with my comment regarding IDM being largely an adult market.

IDM is basically electronic adult contemporary.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”