IK Multimedia Tape Sim?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Peter,

Any plans for a tape sim from IK Multimedia? I've got a bunch of Gear Credit burning a hole in my virtual wallet and that seems like the next logical new thing to build. How about it?

techically, the echoplex could work as a tape machine :-D watch out for those new API's coming though...
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Let IK stick to perfecting one thing. AT4 should update all amps to sound as good as Slash. Maybe they could Collab with the Recabinet guy.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Damn, when I saw this post I thought IK posted the GUI of a new T-RackS module :cry: !
Last edited by kj.metissage on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

electro wrote:Let IK stick to perfecting one thing. AT4 should update all amps to sound as good as Slash. Maybe they could Collab with the Recabinet guy.
Really depends on what you're looking for. When I demo'd AT3 a long time ago, my favorite was the Fender MH500 after disabling the onboard cabinet and then using Revalver's RIR loader to load up a free impulse. Just gotta learn how to coax the sounds you want. Not too many people that chase tone would just buy an amp and matching cabinet at the store and never change anything about them. ;)

I case you didn't know, Recabinet 4 is coming next month and is adding amps to the plugin. That may be something to check out. He's also adding amps in the same vein as Amplitube (where you can buy them separately) but does have a very fair pricing structure if you want to buy the entire package which will include all the add-ons over the next 3 years.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Actually you know what, this is a great idea.. They really should release a good and low latency tape sim. The only ones i like at present are slate (high latency) and the Waves abbey road one (not kramer)... But i am trying to minimise products and plugin menuse, would love to just have "IK - Waves (just for Ren bass freebie, that is good enough to have it's own menu LOL) - Apple and a couple others.. :)

They should really do a VCC type thing too, it's time.

Well, satin is pretty good. The only reason I sold mine is because I've got too much crap and I hardly ever use tape sims anymore.

Between all the EQ, comp/limiter/console emu's it just gets to be too much crud :lol:

But yeah, IK making a tape sim, why not?

hibidy wrote:Well, satin is pretty good. The only reason I sold mine is because I've got too much crap and I hardly ever use tape sims anymore.

Between all the EQ, comp/limiter/console emu's it just gets to be too much crud :lol:

But yeah, IK making a tape sim, why not?
I keep forgetting about satin.. yeah it's good.... but it's for real tweakers (IMO). I actually think the RE will be more fun when it comes out cause it's going to be a reduced feature set.

I like the uad ones, but for ultimate 'drop and forget' it's got to be the slate...

kind of trying to go away from ilok tho too. Just for the laptop being more convenient to use in bed, not because i am dongle phobic or anything.

I hear you.

So, latency is a big issue with slate hun? Yeah, I actually got an ilok 2 to try some slate stuff and I've heard really conflicting stories on what works/what doesn't. I guess since I have the damn thing I should just try it myself :lol:

So other than latency, what would be the criteria for IK's? I'm having a tough time knowing what needs to be there that you can't get?

hibidy wrote:I hear you.

So, latency is a big issue with slate hun? Yeah, I actually got an ilok 2 to try some slate stuff and I've heard really conflicting stories on what works/what doesn't. I guess since I have the damn thing I should just try it myself :lol:

So other than latency, what would be the criteria for IK's? I'm having a tough time knowing what needs to be there that you can't get?

it's 40ms roughly.. so if you use a host that does really good pdc, no issues, but in ableton with their automation issue would be a nightmare

If you guys like the really obvious retro cassette tape style effect, download the free guitargadgets vst that recently came out in the developer challenge. Great micro cassette emulator in that. Really destroys the sound in an awesome way.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:If you guys like the really obvious retro cassette tape style effect, download the free guitargadgets vst that recently came out in the developer challenge. Great micro cassette emulator in that. Really destroys the sound in an awesome way.
If it doesn't emulate 8 track, then I'm not interested :uhuhuh:

TheoM wrote:
hibidy wrote:I hear you.

it's 40ms roughly.. so if you use a host that does really good pdc, no issues, but in ableton with their automation issue would be a nightmare
Well, I wouldn't be automating it that I can think of, but I have had issues where certain limiters caused it to have latency for audio on some "saved" songs. In other words, if I reopened a song and tried to play guitar, I'd get latency (unless I unchecked delay compensation) :nutter:

Hosts....more frustrating than a beaver in a log cabin.

Return to “Effects”