Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

:borg:

Hey Steve, is there only 1 filter or am I missing something? 2 filters would have been nice (ala Massive)

There are a large number of dual filter types with independent cutoff controls. There's also an effect filter with all of the same types if you want series in addition. I actually implemented dual filters at one point and decided it wasn't worth the routing complexity/hassle given you can get the results other ways for the most part. I opted for stereo filtering instead / unison is so accessible on the front panel and flexible with the advanced unison params, it gets a fair bit of use. Stereo offset of the L/R filter channels of course adds a dimension you don't get off the bat with a lot of other (mono processing filter) synths. It's a possibility for the future if there's enough demand (I have large amounts of the needed code ready to go), but when I polled the sound designers none of them replied that it was important/crucial and carefully choosing limitations and focus is in my opinion a large part of making a unique instrument... which was really the main goal (I wasn't out to clone or compete with Massive or any other synth, not at all - rather making something unique and hopefully complementary).

bitcrusher wrote:There are a large number of dual filter types with independent cutoff controls. There's also an effect filter with all of the same types if you want series in addition. I actually implemented dual filters at one point and decided it wasn't worth the routing complexity/hassle given you can get the results other ways for the most part. I opted for stereo filtering instead / unison is so accessible on the front panel and flexible with the advanced unison params, it gets a fair bit of use. Stereo offset of the L/R filter channels of course adds a dimension you don't get off the bat with a lot of other (mono processing filter) synths. It's a possibility for the future if there's enough demand (I have large amounts of the needed code ready to go), but when I polled the sound designers none of them replied that it was important/crucial and carefully choosing limitations and focus is in my opinion a large part of making a unique instrument... which was really the main goal (I wasn't out to clone or compete with Massive or any other synth, not at all - rather making something unique and hopefully complementary).
Sounds awesome! Im buying Serum for sure...looks and sounds really impressive!

Yeah thought you had something under your sleeve, I just couldn't figure it out from the screenshots so I thought of asking. Looking forward to trying this.

Hi Steve, Could you tell us a bit about fx routing/reordering/ and fx types?

Also, does Serum have an Arp and/or step seq?

coldmachine wrote:Hi Steve, Could you tell us a bit about fx routing/reordering/ and fx types?

Also, does Serum have an Arp and/or step seq?
You can reorder the FX in any way you want, and the lfo is multipoint so you can create your own sequences.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Microtuning support?

Some cool sounds in there, but I especially like that vintage polymoog type of sound at the ending part :)

> Could you tell us a bit about fx routing/reordering/ and fx types?

Well, the FX are run series and you can re-order them, each of course has a wet/dry control. I've spent a fair amount of time/care to get virtually every parameter modulatable, though being that they are master FX, is a feature best suited to monophonic sounds.

Well, a brief overview (I've got a lot on my plate the next couple days!) The modules are:

Hyper/Dimension - a 'thickening' effect with pseudo-unison and pseudo-stereo
Compressor - with GR meter, Attack/Release/Ratio/Thresh/Makeup and Multiband mode (see: OTT freeware)
Phaser - with BPM sync for rate / stereo phase offset. Also can set rate to zero and use a modulator e.g. LFO to control phasing.
Flanger - same as above
Chorus - 4 voice chorus with feedback/LPF
EQ- 2 band parametric with LP/HP/Shelf/Peaking filters
Filter - near-duplicate of the synth engine filter as an effect
Reverb - Plate reverb algorithm
Distortion - 10 different modes, pre/post filtering, unique dual-morphing waveshaper modes (create two graphs and blend them)
Delay - 3 modes (normal/pingpong/tap->delay)

As for stepseq, the LFO's can work in a step-seq capacity (variable grid size, shift-clicking for segments). If you're familiar with LFOTool's shift-click feature, the capabilities are an improved version of that (there's a few shapes, e.g. down saw) as well.

As for the Arp, there is no de facto arp in v1.0 - However the sections that make up osc pitch can be modulated independently (e.g. octave/semi) so you can achieve some unique arp-like sequences that way.

An arp is something that I knew would be asked for (especially at KVR) and might appear in a future version. With that said, for now - what the sound designers did with sequences is a lot more fun than what I hear being done with most arps.

> Microtuning support?

Not in 1.0, no.

Official release this Friday?

Official release this Friday?
Yes, that's the plan!

Twiddling thumbs....can you discretely slip us a link to the demo :tu:

Thanks for the reply Steve. Looking forward to getting to grips with this.

Return to “Instruments”