Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

sfd wrote:I would not feel comfortable flying a aircraft where the displays looks like SampleTank 2.
:lol:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Still waiting to see a GUI Teaser.

Spitfire31 wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
electro wrote: Yes, the features are always the most important, but the interactions between the user and the features are important to take very early in account, and they are made optimal if the GUI is thought "close to optimal" at the same time.
I agree with this.

The GUI is very important – vital, in fact. I'd go so far as to say that the visuals of the GUI do affect the sound, or rather, our experience of the sound. And, of course, a good looking, well thought out GUI invites editing and manipulation in a way that a bare-bones one doesn't.

Case in point: Apple's range of excellent AU effects that come with the System, but are visually just a bunch of vertically arranged sliders on a white background. How many Mac users actually use them? I know I don't…
But DX7 barely even has a LCD and this is what it's modeling! FM7 always looked good and I agree on the graphical drawing of the 6-OP envelopes, but how much more is there to see under the DX7 hood? This CTRLR editor maps just about every DX7 parameter and shows a pretty decent blueprint for how to overhaul the GUI.
http://ctrlr.org/yamaha-tx7-beta/
sfd wrote:Considering the big amount of sysex files available I do hope that the patch browsing window will become more user friendly.

Personally I like the preset browsing window of Podolski and Tyrell N6.

On the left hand you have the banks and on the right you have the patches. You can use to arrow keys to go trhough the sounds very easy.
This IMO is where you want the most amount of GUI attention and consideration invested. A robust browser making it easy to load, drag/rearrange, audition and re-export 32 patch .syx banks compatible with DX7.
Last edited by electro on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I think also that the Cart feature would be far better if it didn't use a lonely zip file... but as many zip files as the user want, all them being simply placed in a folder named "Dexed_cart".

It would bring a huge flexibility to the feature, the user being able to add zip files, remove zip files, etc. on an as-needed basis or when he discover new sysex files that are not in the collection. With the current unique zip file, all that is impossible.

The solution of "as many zip files as wanted" in a folder (and why not: sub-folder") would also allow a personal organization by trees and sub-trees to categorize at his wishes his banks, the name of folders and sub-folder being as he wants.

Example among many other types of organizations:
  • Strings
    • Bowed
      • Cello
      • Violins
    • Plucked
      • Acoustic guitars
        • Nylon
        • Steel
      • Banjo
      • Bass
      • Electric guitars
        • Distortion
        • Raw
      • Zithers
  • Winds
    • Brass
    • Flutes
    • Reed
Or any other personal organization (author, genre, etc.). All that are folders created by the user himself in the directory "Dexed_Cart" And each folder (or sub-folder) contains as many zip files as the user wants. He can add, remove, rename, etc. as he wants. The essential being that he respects this rule about the content of a zip file: "Whatever the content, only the files having the extension *.syx and of length 4104 will be read by Dexed".

In my humble opinion it would be not difficult to change in the source code of Dexed, and it would bring a huge enhancement to the abilities offered to the user.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

And I add that it would not be even needed that they are in zip files! They could perfectly by simply directly the *.syx files!

A dream!!! But perfectly doable!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Does this current version (0.7.0) support 4 OP sysex files ?
:tu: All is good

I find the GUI design of the Propellerhead PX7 very well conceived and very clear. I would love Dexed to come up with something in the same vein: Image
Fernando (FMR)

omg, exactly what i would like !!!

fmr wrote:I find the GUI design of the Propellerhead PX7 very well conceived and very clear. I would love Dexed to come up with something in the same vein
Almost beautiful :)

Looking at the above GUI of Propellerhead PX7 makes me notice that Dexed doesn't have Keyboard Scaling or Pan ?

Also - has anyone else noticed that the OSC Detune (the slider on each OP) on Dexed is not working, only Coarse and Fine tune work.
:tu: All is good

DrewDale wrote:Looking at the above GUI of Propellerhead PX7 makes me notice that Dexed doesn't have Keyboard Scaling or Pan ?

Also - has anyone else noticed that the OSC Detune (the slider on each OP) on Dexed is not working, only Coarse and Fine tune work.
I didn't try it yet, but with keyboard scaling and pan missing, and OSC Detune not working, I wonder how can it translate faithfully the DX7 Sys-Ex.
Fernando (FMR)

The DX7 (MK-1) did not have pan (it was monoral) and I am sure Dexed has rate and level scaling on each OP ? (may be wrong) I can say though that the Detune slider does nothing to the tone for me also, no matter what patch I select from the many I have (even from an init voice)

The buttons on Dexed are at least just as flat as the one's on DX7 :-)

fmr wrote:
DrewDale wrote:Looking at the above GUI of Propellerhead PX7 makes me notice that Dexed doesn't have Keyboard Scaling or Pan ?

I didn't try it yet, but with keyboard scaling and pan missing, and OSC Detune not working, I wonder how can it translate faithfully the DX7 Sys-Ex.
Hi,
detune and keyscaling (the knobs under the ratio/fixed) are working for me.

Chris

Chris-S wrote:
fmr wrote:

Hi,
detune and keyscaling (the knobs under the ratio/fixed) are working for me.

Chris
OK, glad to know. As I said, I didn't try it yet, but with a FM synth, having a clear control panel is important. I will hold until Dexed comes out with a proper and usable GUI. I am interested, especially if it really translates well the Sys-Ex banks, but with a GUI like the current I don't feel atracted.

Did anyone already load a Sys-Ex bank and had the chance to compare it with the real thing?
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”