Hardware synths - something out of the ordinary?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a suggestion.

With the selection you already have you're set to go.

Save the money and look into a different way of working rather than a different tool for working with 8)

Yeah, I went there!

It is an option, I am thinking about alternatives too, and was also considering a new Mac, or something else, but so far what I don't have is anything analog so that too is an option.

DELETED (damn buttons) :x
Fernando (FMR)

Check out the John Bowen Solaris. It's basically a hardware implementation of a virtual modular, and it includes a bunch of different synthesis method possibilities, like wave scanning, vector, FM, and AM. Bowen was one of the dudes in the latter days of Sequential Circuits and he had a lot to do with the Prophet-VS.

aMUSEd wrote:It is an option, I am thinking about alternatives too, and was also considering a new Mac, or something else, but so far what I don't have is anything analog so that too is an option.
If you're gonna do it, it might as well be the real thing like an OBXa or Prophet 5 then.

tehlord wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:It is an option, I am thinking about alternatives too, and was also considering a new Mac, or something else, but so far what I don't have is anything analog so that too is an option.
If you're gonna do it, it might as well be the real thing like an OBXa or Prophet 5 then.
I personally think that the Studio Electronics stuff might be more "worth" it to be completely honest. You get a modern, yet discrete analog synthesizer with actual support and warranty. Also the sound is actually fantastic as well. With something old you always have the risk of service that might end up costing as much as you gave for the synth itself, no warranty, etc, etc. It's well worth taking into consideration, imho. :)

Edit: Here's a better demo of the Code with various filter models. Check the resonant sound at about 1:07, and also from 3:30 for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uXq9jProtw
Last edited by eXode on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nothing comes close to the real thing.

Warranty shmorranty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40RiwZJgbTo

tehlord wrote:Nothing comes close to the real thing.

Warranty shmorranty
I'm sorry, but what is "the real thing"? The Prophet 5 uses IC's for stuff like VCO's, VCF, VCA, ENV, etc.The Omega/CODE uses discrete components which makes it even more like "the real thing" if you want to go down that route... :roll:

Why not just use a laptop, Midi kb & uhe diva?
:borg:

eXode wrote: if you want to go down that route... :roll:
Not really 'rolleyes'

eXode wrote:
tehlord wrote:Nothing comes close to the real thing.

Warranty shmorranty
I'm sorry, but what is "the real thing"? The Prophet 5 uses IC's for stuff like VCO's, VCF, VCA, ENV, etc.The Omega/CODE uses discrete components which makes it even more like "the real thing" if you want to go down that route... :roll:
What kind of discrete components does the Omega use, and why are they better than the Curtis chips? Anyway, I don't find nothing really outstanding either in the Prophet-5 or in the Omega, to say the true. Both have relatively simple architectures. Both sound great, of course, but so do the Oberheims, the Jupiters, the Moogs, the Yamaha CS (this one is slightly more complex), the ARPs, the Waldorfs, the Andromeda, etc.

I presumed (perhaps wrongly) that the OP was looking for something "different", that could add something to what he already has. In the analog field, if not for the Matrix-12 (or perhaps the Andromeda), then the only path is a modular system.
Fernando (FMR)

out of the ordinary would also be a new Buchla Easel.

Since you say you'd rather not deal with a keyboard, I'd suggest an Xpander. Half the polyphony of a Matrix-12, but you have CV/gate inputs for each voice, as well as individual audio outs (the individual out option on the Matrix-12 is rare and expensive).

ew
A spectral heretic...

Phil999 wrote:out of the ordinary would also be a new Buchla Easel.
Indeed, but considering that I know of at least a handful of people in EU that are still waiting for their Easel after almost a year I'd advise against it unless he can actually try one and bring it home afterwards... :|

+1 000 000 on "out of the ordinary" though, and the program card/iPad interaction thing makes it even more interesting (imho).
Last edited by eXode on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”