Sampletank 2XL vs VI ONE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Controller_C wrote:8 Mile Soundtrack and Sampletank:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news-archiv ... php?Id=151
Well, quite the necro but thanks for the reminder. I'll have to share this one from the archives elsewhere :)

lol, i took a few years off fom kvr to move 4 times, learn win 7 64bit and what the hell "x86" means(because calling it 32bit is just too simple and logical), learn that Cubase SX1 does not work in win7, learn that i can even get the new cubase elicenser to work in XP, learn that Reaper might be a better route, learn that reaper cant find my Addictive Drums plug in, Learn that ADdrums has a 64 bit and 32bit installer but im running 32bit reaper on 64bit win 7 so wtf over? ten four roger that, then learned that its easier to get digital id's at IK now sweet but SmpleTnk2xl cant find its sounds and now is "not responding" then learned I still need to do the Win7 tweaks for daw recording- oh and still doing a 9 to 5 during half of that... and thats about half of it!!!

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ontol wrote:plus we needed 5 sampletank threads on the first page for a bingo
You could do four + the free space in a few cases too :D

like to start off with... VI One is a entry level plugin/sample library... therefore... not the best in the world... but on the other hand... i do not think ST 3 is worth the upgrade price... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ST3up-e... now... if you purchased the upgrade for $99... that would be another story... but that deal is over... i would just save my money, wait for a sale and purchase Komplete 10... ST 3 may be a new product... but in theory... it should been released about 5 years ago... in 2014... there are too many other/better products on the market to settle on a ST 3 upgrade...

just some fruit for thought...

Having both. there are things I like and things I don't about each. And although not as complete as the the Xpansion Tanks for STank, for the price, Infinite Player should be added here as a comparable and a decent replacement for STank2/Vir also.

But as always, there is price to consider here. VI.ONE; I picked up for about $75.00 first hand. STank2 with 23 Xpansions + averaged out around $120.00 and Infinite Player Gold I think I picked up for around $70.00? But of course, with IP and the Vir you have to add the cost of Kontakt to them...
(Cost averaging with the deal I got on Komplete would make Kontakt come in at around $60.00?)
And then it comes down to subjective things like work flow and energy/time spent in dealing with the companies to consider also .
Bottom line for me was STank2 is only 32 bit and STank3 doesn't open on my system. (And IK doesn't seem too concerned about those it won't open for).
So the better deal is with consistency you get with Kontakt and these libraries that seem better when a piecemeal of third party sound for what we actually use from them is acquired. (Not the cheapest, but the best solution that will make each of us content.)

If there is any upside to necro-dredging this old thread, perhaps it is in giving enough time to really get opinions that are more than first impression gripes and wows.
Or maybe its just another 'free-space' for IKM to jump in without having to take responsibility for their own thread. :wink:

Whatever the case, it's the troll that uses it for bait that gets to yell bingo.

BBFG# wrote:Or maybe its just another 'free-space' for IKM to jump in without having to take responsibility for their own thread. :wink:
Hey, I'd be happy to start another SampleTank 3 thread. Luckily around here I don't have to, and that fact makes me happy to see the KVR community is so interested in our products.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Or maybe its just another 'free-space' for IKM to jump in without having to take responsibility for their own thread. :wink:
Hey, I'd be happy to start another SampleTank 3 thread. Luckily around here I don't have to, and that fact makes me happy to see the KVR community is so interested in our products.
Like I said, 'free space'.
And the interest does have its own schism in a multi-infarct dementia that seems as equal in the company as it does its customer base. :wink:
(I still like STank, dementia and all... if only it worked. :shrug: )

"Most samples in it are not looped"

"Most"? What an absurd comment. Things that should be looped because, in reality, they can be played without stopping (strings, for example or organ) are looped in VI ONE. Pianos and plucked instruments have natural sustain and decay (would you want anything else?). Things that can't be played for 15 minutes straight in real life like winds and brass aren't looped because that doesn't sound right or natural (players have to breathe!).

VI One over Sampletank any day (and yes, I own both). Especially if you can get it for $99 or so. I have Kontakt 5 and I still rely on VI One for some things. It's packed and well done.

wondering what is the final verdict on ST 3... is it a "must have" or $99 was a great pre-order price? but then again... for that $99... you were a beta tester for about 2 to 3 weeks...

for $349... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ST3-e no way in the world do "I" think it is worth it... another $150... you have Native Instruments Komplete 10... and if you wait for a sale... that same $349 you pay for ST 3... you could have Komplete 10...

for the OP... there could be a 1001 ST 3 threads here on kvr... save your money... and get NI Komplete 10... you will be happier in the long run... also... more than likely you will be able to upgrade Komplete 10 to Komplete 11 in about 2 years... i believe there were a 10 year wait between ST 2 and ST 3... something else to think about...

:tu:

neverenoughfunk wrote:wondering what is the final verdict on ST 3... is it a "must have" or $99 was a great pre-order price? but then again... for that $99... you were a beta tester for about 2 to 3 weeks...
for $349... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ST3-e no way in the world do "I" think it is worth it... another $150... you have Native Instruments Komplete 10... and if you wait for a sale... that same $349 you pay for ST 3... you could have Komplete 10...
for the OP... there could be a 1001 ST 3 threads here on kvr... save your money... and get NI Komplete 10... you will be happier in the long run... also... more than likely you will be able to upgrade Komplete 10 to Komplete 11 in about 2 years... i believe there were a 10 year wait between ST 2 and ST 3... something else to think about...
I think the final verdict will take much more time. Especially as you've pointed out here, that early adopters of the pre-order have been pay for the right to be beta testers at this point.
I was lucky enough to jump on the 'Free Version' before taking delivery on STank3 Boxed. And canceled my order post haste because of it. For me, it's not worth the price of free if it continues to not work and is furthered by a general attitude by IKM to not be concerned unless the numbers increase in customers with those crashes. Installing a new SSD drive on a 64 bit system has cause my final verdict on IKM to be one of those companies unable to successfully 'cross the Rubicon' and I have decided to not re-install it on that system. But it still has enough history with me to keep an eye of interest in case they ever get beyond their 'beta problems'. I've made a 32 bit only machine for my spouse and have released the entire IKM ownership to her. It is perfectly suited to her needs as she doesn't delve beyond simple layering anyway.
Of the three mentioned, I would give it most to Infinite Player as preferred above the other two. But my search to replace STank2 has led me to buy both VI.ONE and Infinite Player and more importantly, zero in on exactly what I need and use from each of them to even better third party sounds for Kontakt.
When I do the cost averaging of these, it comes out more like STank2 with fulll library was $120.00; Kontakt with VI.ONE was $135.00; Kontakt with Infinite Player was $130.00... or I can further cost average in the fact that Kontakt only had to be bought once for two libraries promising the same thing but with two different characters of delivering it. So in that, the price difference is not that much and I'm confronted with the old adage of "The cheap comes out expensive..."
If nothing else, STank has been educational. :hihi:

BBFG# wrote:
neverenoughfunk wrote:wondering what is the final verdict on ST 3... is it a "must have" or $99 was a great pre-order price? but then again... for that $99... you were a beta tester for about 2 to 3 weeks...
I think the final verdict will take much more time. Especially as you've pointed out here, that early adopters of the pre-order have been pay for the right to be beta testers at this point.
I was lucky enough to jump on the 'Free Version' before taking delivery on STank3 Boxed. And canceled my order post haste because of it. For me, it's not worth the price of free if it continues to not work and is furthered by a general attitude by IKM to not be concerned unless the numbers increase in customers with those crashes. Installing a new SSD drive on a 64 bit system has cause my final verdict on IKM to be one of those companies unable to successfully 'cross the Rubicon' and I have decided to not re-install it on that system. But it still has enough history with me to keep an eye of interest in case they ever get beyond their 'beta problems'. I've made a 32 bit only machine for my spouse and have released the entire IKM ownership to her. It is perfectly suited to her needs as she doesn't delve beyond simple layering anyway.
Of the three mentioned, I would give it most to Infinite Player as preferred above the other two. But my search to replace STank2 has led me to buy both VI.ONE and Infinite Player and more importantly, zero in on exactly what I need and use from each of them to even better third party sounds for Kontakt.
When I do the cost averaging of these, it comes out more like STank2 with fulll library was $120.00; Kontakt with VI.ONE was $135.00; Kontakt with Infinite Player was $130.00... or I can further cost average in the fact that Kontakt only had to be bought once for two libraries promising the same thing but with two different characters of delivering it. So in that, the price difference is not that much and I'm confronted with the old adage of "The cheap comes out expensive..."
If nothing else, STank has been educational. :hihi:
my sweetwater rep called... stating the box version was in... he also stated i could still get the $99 pre-order price...

i replied... NO THANKS!!!

I bought VI ONE for $20 second-hand in the market place 8)

Numanoid wrote:I bought VI ONE for $20 second-hand in the market place 8)

:tu: Well worth that price!

A great deal, one of the best sellers I have encountered, fantastic service :tu:

Return to “Instruments”