Sonic 3d Rotation Effect

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been doing some sound to picture stuff recently, just for fun really, and it makes a change from trying to do music.

I'd like to create a sonic impression of an object rotating in space. And I'm struggling really.

The best I came up with, was to create two similar sounds, one more backgrounded, and pan one one way, and the other the other. But then it just sounds like they are drifting apart.

Is this possible, I'm really scratching my head?

I've been pondering exactly the same problem, no solution yet. Your foreground/background and pan approach are certainly part of it. I was thinking filtering for spectral change might convey part as well. Still working on it....

I suspect this is going to be horribly complicated to solve :wink:

You might use a combination of channel offset and lowpass filtering.

Gvst Glfo can be ok for this, as well as Uhbik-T.
Or automating VladG's Proximity?
Or a binaural plugin ?

Oncde upon a time that was SpinAudio's speciality, but they've been gone for a long time now.

Gersic has a list that might be useful, it includes several plugins that might do:

http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=11

plus this old article

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/a ... n_0107.htm
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

you should try
-GRM Tools Doppler
-SpinAudio 3D Panner Motion Effects (really old but works great)

Thank you all for the responses, I'll be working my way through these suggestions.

ya c. 2003 or 04 there would have been a few free SE spinners. heard the effect in a track in the 90's.. the depth perception was accomplished with a reverb. if you take a complex oscillator (something with a sine and cosine output, or two sines a quarter period out of phase) you'd use one out to do the L-R and the other to the reverb mix. something you ought to be able to piece together in SE in a few minutes :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “Sound Design”