Nobody appreciates small time electronic music makers/electronic musician for most is a lonely life

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote:Many of my favorite electronic music producers use guitars as well as synths and fx. They're all legitimate sound sources. It's not an either/or thing.
Totally agree...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Hush you. Arbitrary tribalism makes things so much more fun.

SODDI wrote:If you do any art work to gain "appreciation", you will probably: a.) be very disappointed on a constant basis; and b.) not be doing the best art that you are capable of.

Many of us are amateurs. And that's not a perjorative. We do these things for the love of doing these things - that's the Latin root "amat".
QFT.

V0RT3X wrote:We are in a age of Fast-food music.
The last 100 years have been an age where music is a product. The record industry existed to sell records (and then tapes, and then CDs, and now they are a bit lost). For decades, the reason that many bands played live wasn't because people love live music but to promote selling more records. How screwed up is that?

The frustrating thing is that an inexperienced kid can slap some loops together and immediately sound a lot like those products... at least to an undiscerning ear.

When I was in high school, a Russian solo violinist came to visit our orchestra and one of the gems of wisdom he dropped was that it takes ten years for a violinist to learn how to hold the bow properly. (I think I hated the rotten old bastard at the time.)

Ask yourself what music is for in your life. Is it about making and consuming products, is it creative expression, or is it something to pass the time?

Fast-food music! heh Well when you're looking for fast-food you're not going to get the nutrition - just a quick fix to keep you going til you get home or whatever (or that's pretty much all you eat and it'll kill you one day). You might end up with cravings and a slight addiction though.

Since I don't eat (listen to) that fast-food, I'm not left with the feeling that there is so much poor-quality electronic music around.

If you want good food - don't go looking for it in maccy-dees!
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

GeckoYamori wrote:Hush you. Arbitrary tribalism makes things so much more fun.
Are you a Mod or a Rocker? :hihi:

:lol:
... space is the place ...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Rod.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Mocker.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Neither, but we are bigger than Jesus...

BERFAB wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Rod.
BERFAB wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Mocker.

Well, as long as you're stylish.

Naer wrote:Maybe we're ahead of our time?
I assure you, this is one thing you'll never have to worry about.

There are too many small-time electronic artists for everyone of them to be appreciated.

That's because it's something relatively easy to pick up. I know there can be much more dignity to electronic music than that, such as sound design, which is a whole universe in itself. But that said, I know people who can create a simple beat in Ableton in minutes without any music knowledge. It's much easier to do than writing a song on a guitar that's worth listening to.

Add to that the accessibility of Soundcloud and anyone's a rock star. With so many of these scenarios out there, not everyone of them can get noticed.

tehlord wrote:Maybe it's because learning a guitar takes time and dedication and making electronic music is relatively easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIqR08zw3xc

Go ahead and show me how easy it is to do that.

He said relatively easy.

Like anything, it takes years of practice to master.

But compared to playing guitar, it is far easier to create an "OK" sounding beat than it is to strum an "OK" sounding song.
... space is the place ...

Functional wrote:
tehlord wrote:Maybe it's because learning a guitar takes time and dedication and making electronic music is relatively easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIqR08zw3xc

Go ahead and show me how easy it is to do that.
What you mean taking some pre-cooked samples and glitching 'em up a bit? Slightly tired trip-hop with some stutters is not exactly the greatest example of electronic that's "difficult" to do. It is, however, a fine example of how the technology can make something that sounds OK but has precious few ideas. Frankly, it's almost an offence to crate-digging because they've not even done much of a job of re-contextualising the samples.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”