Compiling the interesting Choir and Orchestral libraries

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Xybre,

To be honest at this point your list is a list of unprotected libraries vs protected libraries and although it is a private list once launched into the public domain, inadvertently can damage companies who decide to protect their hard work. This protection has no effect on our libraries or the amount of work we have put in. If the list had a Non DRM column and DRM column then I wouldn't say a peep, but when you class it as nope and base your DRM opinion on outdated issues then of course I will come to defend our products ;)

I would agree that PACE had it's ups and downs, especially during the launch of their new licence manager software. No argument there, but they have gone a long, long way and based on our technical support experience iLok is definitely right at the bottom of support needs. Most of our support tickets are due to people asking how to build more complex words which we are always more then happy to help with, but install issues or issues related to iLok are very, very rare and always resolved in a matter of hours (I can count them on one hand), so even though I see that you have made your mind up on this as you feel that kernel mode driver is something you won't allow on your system, but I think that saying that iLok (today and the recent months) is causing instability and is responsible for blue screen of death is highly off the mark based on our customers experience. I've tried to change your mind, because I myself used to dislike iLok until they have offered the new licencing system, but I have to admit that since the licence manager, it has been the most flexible and reliable licencing system I have used to date, so hence I feel that it is important to mention that as well.

Best

Ondrej
Virharmonic

I have no problem with not-for-resale software, one-machine-only licenses and watermarks. But it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd buy anything again with ilok. Protection systems that make customers jump through hoops enrage me. It's a bit like DVDs that force you to sit through copyright warnings. Yeah great. The only schmucks who have to watch that rubbish are the people who have legitimately bought the product - how stupid is that?

Hi Spirit.

Hoops??? You install a licence software and activate the licence... ??? I always thought that making libraries was about the music, capabilities of the libraries and about their sonic quality and not about software ;) Software in our eyes is just an enabler of our vision and to be honest as said before I see no hoops in the current setup. We know that there will always be lovers and haters of iLok as there is a long history in the past there, but we just wanted equal representation, that is all ;)

Best

Ondrej
Virharmonic

Musical Gym wrote:I would add Blue from Realitone and also
The Ladies from Realitone
I actually just added those and several others.
Virharmonic wrote:To be honest at this point your list is a list of unprotected libraries vs protected libraries
8DIO and Bela D Media both use watermarking. Kontakt is copy protected itself. I'm not opposed to the concept of copy protection, just the one you happened to choose.
Virharmonic wrote:although it is a private list once launched into the public domain, inadvertently can damage companies who decide to protect their hard work.
I'm choosing to exclude software that could damage my hard work. My computer is essential to my business (and my music) so I try to protect it.

If you would like to have a more detailed chat about this, I wouldn't mind at all. Please feel free to contact me on Gmail as xybreus. I really have been known to change my mind based on new evidence, but I don't feel like this is the place for it. :)
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

Hi Xybre,

In terms of the issues of DRM. All the other DRMs you have mentioned are ineffective (watermarking, native instruments service centre ect...). There is very little to debate about it as a simple Google search will reveal that almost all kontakt libraries have been cracked
So the list of effective copy protections drops dramatically to either dongle or question/response online only systems or the most recent iLok licence software workstation lock which in our opinion the best of both worlds as you no longer need to be online all the time, when you re install your system you can place your licences again easily and it doesn't require a dongle.
from these left I have to say that the UVI's choice of iLok is backed by us as it is the best option. I've messaged you privately on google hangouts so we can discuss it further there as I don't want to derail your thread into ilok vs x debate.

Warm Regards

Ondrej
Virharmonic

After some hours of research I've added a DRM and Dongle column to the first page. I may move over more of the "NOPE" sheet to the first page if I hear some positive things about their support.

I've also added a lot more data and a few more libraries.

Cheers Xybre and thank you for taking the time to talk to me as well. Great effort.

Best

Ondrej
Virharmonic

I just discovered that Garritan Personal Orchestra (which I own) has a choir. It's awful. There's only two articulations "oo" and "ah". Its a single patch of about 4 octaves, female upper and male lower.

I'm not even going to bother listing this one. :/

I've just added some "filter views" to the spreadsheet, check out the first post for screenshots of how to use it!

Yeah, they're on the "nope" page mostly because I'd never consider them, but they are one of the biggest libraries out there so I might have to get around to extracting the data from their (ugly) site.

:zzz:

Xybre, thank you for including us! 8) (And thank you, Jim, for mentioning us.)

I can fill in a few of the missing fields:
Realivox - The Ladies is 7 GB and Blue is 2 GB.
Both libraries are Kontakt 5. (Kontakt 5.2 or higher.) Both have Kontakt Player options. (Not a field currently in the spreadsheet, but if you add the parameter later, there you go.)

Last edited by Francis Belardino on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Greene wrote:Xybre, thank you for including us! 8) (And thank you, Jim, for mentioning us.)

I can fill in a few of the missing fields:
Realivox - The Ladies is 7 GB and Blue is 2 GB.
Both libraries are Kontakt 5. (Kontakt 5.2 or higher.) Both have Kontakt Player options. (Not a field currently in the spreadsheet, but if you add the parameter later, there you go.)
Thanks for the info, I've added it!
Francis Belardino wrote:Thanks for the mention. If you are adding soloist ...
I've added some soloists, and I may add more. Thanks for the links.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”