Replacing ONE of TWO speakers in a pair? Problem?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So i need to exchange(probably) the left monitor of my Adam A7X pair. Is this gonna be a problem?

I know technically they are the same monitor, but anything can be possible. Would anyone be hesitant in only replacing one of the monitors with a newer one? Or would you do both.

Ideally id like to do both but I have to walk to the store so I cant really carry both. I don't want to spend money on a cab both ways but if I have to I guess I will. But I really don't want to so don't just tell me to because its the safe answer. Only answer if you know, no guesses please.

Do same model monitors from different batches sometimes end up being different? Or am I going to be completely safe just exchanging the left one and keeping my original right one? I know the Adams CAN be sold separately but obviously the company isn't going to deny someone who only wants to give them money for one speaker. Just curious as to if anyone thinks this is a bad idea or if I should pay the extra money to get the cab and return both (i only need one, the off button is jammed on on) . With them being 1800 dollar speakers I dont want ANY problems between the two.

Is this gonna be a problem?
In an ideal world with low production tolerances this would be no problem. But you never know...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

the way I'm looking at it is they have to be different? What if someone goes into the store and buys 1 speaker..every pair after that would be off. Cant be.

Yumid wrote:the way I'm looking at it is they have to be different? What if someone goes into the store and buys 1 speaker..every pair after that would be off. Cant be.
They are not usually sold as pairs, per se. That is, they come individually packaged. I have replaced drivers in a monitor and I think that is most likely where any large variance will come from. Most audiophile nonsense is BS, but, drivers do have a short break-in period. My experience testing PA drivers tells me that the thing that you notice most is a slight drop in LF response after the speaker is broken in when the cone is fairly stiff. I noticed very little difference in foam roll suspensions. With a stiff suspension, break-in was several hours feeding the speaker with a well below cutoff sine wave with enough power that excursion was fairly visible.

Unless you have fantastic ears worthy of a god, it is unlikely that you will notice a difference as long as the model hasn't changed significantly. Only someone who knows the manufacturing details of the line and how old your existing speaker is could really answer that. Since you didn't tell us how old your existing monitors are, we can't really know for sure.

Your best bet would be to call the manufacturer and ask them, but, I would just buy one and call it a day.

YMMV.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yumid wrote:So i need to exchange(probably) the left monitor of my Adam A7X pair. Is this gonna be a problem?
Ghettosynth's point about your speakers' age and break-in was spot-on. If you've had them for over a year and you monitor loud, I'd actually recommend you trade them both in. However, if you've had them only a month and you monitor at conversational level, you can probably just replace the one.

FWIW, ADAM doesn't send us monitors as matched pairs. If we order 4 A7X's, they don't specify which of those should go together.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”