Is omnisphere still king?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote: (hint, most obvious answer EVER)
Richard Simmons?!
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

:lol:

but no

Freddie Mercury?
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I prefer Omnisphere with a powerful computer over Integra-7. So, yes it's still a king in the Roland's world to me. I've never interested in anything they've made since V-synth. But I'm always interested with the development of Spectrasonics instruments, which imho still truly own the great soul of the "old Roland".
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Given the choice between integra and spectra, the pros and cons of each might keep me busy for a bit. But I felt spectra was trying to break the roland mold more than emulate it. It does however, use the same philosophy in sampling it seems, and all too often. Something that immediately grabs us but once you hear the trick, can be just as annoying as it was gratifying.

As to the original question, the fact that it is being distributed by Ilio now as their trade show representative somehow implies the end of their era in whatever status of misnomer its customer base demands it to be. They may have to start adding 'the once was' phrase to their idea of absolute dominion there.

I like the enormity of Omni over the Integra, but Integra also has the fact of being a dedicated system that uses its own processing power.

Maybe it's time for spectra to build its own HW module (one that doesn't depend on a separate company like Muse). I would definitely consider a two rack space module loaded with all three spectra products for $1500-$2000.00 over their current offerings and anything Roland Integra. Like the other poster said, I agree with the idea that Roland's last and greatest was the V-SynthGT.

I've mentioned this before in a previous string, and BBFG# has the right idea, a fantasy I'd love to see happen.

I would also shell out beaucoup bucks for a Spectrasonics hardware offering, be it in rack form, keyboard form, or even better yet, desktop synth with a handful of knobs, sliders, etc. With the following setup: we'd have to concede it would be menu driven in some manner. If you ever used the Novation V-Station, that four-panel layout works well for this kind of application. Or, on the hardware side, the Access Virus tabletop (or Nord layout) would also be ideal. OR... what if it just had an iPad at its heart? And use that touchscreen as the controller?

And to supplement this mega-hardware synth?
The Stylus RMX hardware version percussion machine. I'll just stop there.
(Looking at you, Roland Aria)

I can dream.

lionscub68 wrote:The Stylus RMX hardware version percussion machine. I'll just stop there.
(Looking at you, Roland Aria)

I can dream.
Don't stop, I like the idea :) to me the hardware design of the MC-909 is still one of the best and I'm proud to own one, it's almost like the desktop version of the JD series. If Roland ever released a mk2 version, with the same user interface and updated features, I'd buy it again. May be using a touch screen and integra's engine this time. With more RMX goodness for the sampler section, the screen is going to be even more useful. Also the ability to use one or two monitor display, double function as an audio/controller interface with Ableton's integration. Going to be a great bonus if it can be powered using lithium battery. Supposed to be not that hard for Roland to realized.

I'm thinking about selling mine. It's great, but I never use it compared to other stuff (element seems to float my boat the most)

I love Omnisphere. I love to sit there and just play with it by itself. I can do it for hours. Sometimes, I will start a song with it, but more than not, it gets taken out of the mix. Many of the sounds are so big and phat that they do not sit well in a mix. I have started many pieces with it only for it not to be in the final mix.

hibidy wrote:I'm thinking about selling mine. It's great, but I never use it compared to other stuff (element seems to float my boat the most)
It's surprising to hear it from you. I remember from Spectrasonics related threads that you own all three. May be hold up a bit, because it's probably getting closer. When they finally release an upgrade or any new product, I believe long time VIP users will get a benefit. Just got myself a Trilian to complete the lineup.

crystalmsc wrote:
hibidy wrote:I'm thinking about selling mine. It's great, but I never use it compared to other stuff (element seems to float my boat the most)
May be hold up a bit, because it's probably getting closer. When they finally release an upgrade or any new product, I believe long time VIP users will get a benefit.
+1 on the VIP package deals.
I bought Trilian last year or so, and as much as I just love the Chapman Stick portion, I seldom use Trilian. But I won't get rid of it.
FYI, I used to own a Chapman Stick. The sampling and modeling they've done for the Stick is dead-on perfect.

gone
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's funny, I've been more focused on different synths recently, and my Omni had been gathering dust.

That said over the last few weeks I've been back at it, and it sounds better then most of the other soft synths around. It's really easy to tweak presets and even make your own. The filters and FX are class. It does'nt have some of the newer options, but it's king kong when it comes to an analog emulation imo. That and Diva... But I like Vacuum as well. :)

Bought Trillian recently. It's excellent as well, but it would have been cooler if it had some of the syntheses options omni has.

Maybe in an update! :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

lionscub68 wrote:I bought Trilian last year or so, and as much as I just love the Chapman Stick portion, I seldom use Trilian. But I won't get rid of it.
It's the opposite here, bought it for the synth part, as the Omnisphere expansion. But I'm glad to own the acoustic/electric bass part as well, since I like the bass sound from the SR-JV expansion board in my old JV-1080.
jacqueslacouth wrote:On top of that I remain to be convinced that Spectrasonics is actually doing any further development of this line.
I have a strong feeling that something big is under development. It's hard to release something greater than the current products.

Talking about hardware, actually there's an empty slot from Roland's current range. A true JV/XV successor instead of a repackage of the old technology. Something like the hardware version of Omnisphere. I won't be surprised if Eric is back to Roland and continue the legacy. Which could be beneficial for Spectrasonics development like the old days.

crystalmsc wrote:
It's surprising to hear it from you.
i am not so surprised. the sounds that 'element' would be competing against, are not really omnisphere's greatest draw

Return to “Instruments”