converting wav to mp3 while keeping original mastering limits

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey

I have been wondering this long time and finally thought to ask about it here. So my problem is that when I convert my track from wav to 320 mp3 the original limiting is getting destroyed and waht I mean is that the original wav file don't have any peaks in the audio like when more sounds comes in the limitation keeps the same, but when I convert a track to mp3 there is no limit anymore it's all peak here and there so how it's possible to convert a track in the way that the original limits keep the same and don't get messed up ?

I have some tracks on sale online and have also wondered how that shop converts wav files into mp3 and does it keep the limits or does those tracks too messed ? Is it even possible to keep limitations when converting ? Oh btw I have noticed this also when I convert 48 000 wav to 41 000 wav so I export wav as 41 000 by default now. I did one time over normalisation on the file so the peaks are getting squash without the track getting distorted.

So yeah Would be awesome to know is it possible to convert and keep the original limits which I have done in my DAW

i think you mean the mp3 then goes over your initial peak limit ceiling and clips?

Unfortunately a by product of conversion.

Your best bet is this...

Bounce to mp3 at the same stage you bounce to wave, i.e from your DAW/mastering software etc if possible, rather than mastering THEN converting to MP3

if this is not possible, put a brickwall limiter such as barricade with ISP protection before the conversion. This will take care of the problem and since you are not going to be driving the limiter per se all over again, it's not going to do any more damage to your music than converting it to a lossy format like mp3 will do anyway. Hope that helps :)

"initial peak limit ceiling and clips" yes that is what I mean :) do you think then that when ppl share mp3's they put limiters in audio software ? I haven't bought mp3's so don't know how the strores conversion bots does the conversions like in juno digital download. Do you know how good job those do ? I know that stores prefer wav uploads so they have to use some sort of conversion software that convert automatically.

I use wavepad from nch software as audio software where I normalise to 0 db. I use fl studio as DAW. I Have tested also to export mp3 with limiter on the master, but seems fl studio can't put it together so the audio software limitation afterwards seems to be to only option then like you said.

If you convert to MP3 then by definition you get an approximation.
So best leave a bit of headroom, 1 dB should be enough.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

You must leave some headroom.. this depends a bit of the encoder (there is a small difference between the Fraunhofer reference codec or Lame) but with my testings it should be between 0,6 to 0,8dB (you can also use 1dB to be on the safe side).
Handling of intersample peaks is also something I would take in to account, so you should use higher oversampling or play a bit with the look-ahead etc. if you have such peaks.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”