Podolski for Linux (rev 2758)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm getting the plugin working with my current setup first then, I'll try to build on older system.
Also gtk+-3.8 has been released the 2013-03-25 23:32 and glibc 2.17 the 25-Dec-2012 16:06 which is not a few months ago.
Then the statement that old software is more stable is not always true. I hope that you've upgrade openssl since heartbleed ;-).

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

No sweat! It's keito (from reddit... again), but that username is taken! :(

Anyhow, here's the deets:

Code: Select all

ldd --version
ldd (Ubuntu EGLIBC 2.15-0ubuntu10.7) 2.15
As for GTK3... libgtk-3-0 -- 3.4.2-0ubuntu0.8

This is all running on the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which is still supported. It still receives security updates. I was patched against heartbleed the same time as they patched the newer releases too! :tu:

Also, just wanted to say... CHEERS abique! You are DA MAN! =D

quixotic wrote:You asked for it :D

We need more of these types of controllers!! There's a market for it, at least here at KVR! ;)

brian
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

falkTX wrote: People that make music usually prefer to have a stable, reliable system instead of the new thing that is out just a few months ago.
Linux musicians sometimes have
both stable, and bleeding-edge setups, not a common option with
commerial OS users beyond rare beta releases. But to maximize U-he uptake
in the widest range of linux systems, using the older stable system libraries
makes sense. I would think this approach eliminates some coding
at moving system targets, and should allow more man-hours for improving
and porting plugins, but I'm not a coder. Just speculation.

If some crucial U-he feature is new enough, to require system components that equate
to vintage debian unstable/testing, then an accurate readme file detailing the likely
dependency requirements should be included, and discussed. Puppy linux
addresses this by allowing for loadable .sfs files, containing all of the files needed for
the related task, such as loading an office suite, or a specific video system,
things which may not be in continuous use.

No offense to Linux Pros around here, but the plugins should run on standard distros.

There is no way that U-HE could supply all possible distros and custom installs.
The should concentrate on Ubuntu and maybe Mint.

I know there are other great distros but a non-IT person should be able to install the system.

samplemania wrote:No offense to Linux Pros around here, but the plugins should run on standard distros.
To be clear, which distros do you consider standard these days ? Certainly Ubuntu will come to mind, likely also Fedora and Debian. Any others you consider at that level ?
There is no way that U-HE could supply all possible distros and custom installs.

I know there are other great distros but a non-IT person should be able to install the system.
All good valid points. However, it bears repeating that Ubuntu is not the only easy-to-install-and-maintain system. Also, Mint is another face on Ubuntu. If u-he wants to limit development to a few distros I suggest Ubuntu and something-else-not-Ubuntu.

The update/upgrade situation in Linux is not radically different from Windows. At some point you must upgrade your system or remain unable to enjoy new features and new products. Yes, if you really know your stuff you can upgrade an existing system without a full dist-upgrade, but that requires computer maintenance skills at levels not common among musicians on any platform. In the long run you're better off with a new or completely upgraded system.

Best,

dp

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the (very few) developers that are working on Linux builds, to only support the latest Ubuntu offerings. This should give any new user-friendly(/noob-friendly) Ubuntu derivatives (such as Mint) support too. For people on Debian, they are likely capable of getting things to work on their own! That covers Debian based distros.

RPM-based systems like Fedora might be worth considering, but we shouldn't expect u-he to support each and every distro, as there are simply too many, and this would overstretch them. They need to focus on building the plugins, not on building them for EVERY platform and distro.

It's highly unlikely that we'll see source code (which could be used by package maintainers to build for each distro accordingly). So following the same distro support that Bitwig employs seems like a suitable option.

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Also, basing releases on the older libraries, makes it more likely
that the alien command will work, to transform between .deb
rpm. formats. I did this with 1.08. and 1.0.13.
Cheers

samplemania wrote:No offense to Linux Pros around here, but the plugins should run on standard distros.

Standard distro designers have the freedom to include and configure
what is most popular to their target userbase, and often, that is simple web, office
and audio/video playback, that are the main functions. A lot of vst users
have learned plenty of IT along the way, seeking the perfect ITB studio,
as opposed to the vanilla microsoft userbase. Marching droids,
searching in lockstep for the 'any' key, won't cut it in linux, or vst

I hope the work on Podolski will pave the way for the rest of the U-he herd.
A zebra and a jackass on the same track, who'da ever thunk it! :wink: :wink:
Cheers

falkTX wrote:
virusav wrote:For people on Debian, they are likely capable of getting things to work on their own!
For opensource projects this is true. Not so much for commercial ones.
(I don't expect u-he to release source in any way)
Take Steam, as an example, of why this isn't always true of commercial software. To begin with, Valve only supported the Ubuntu distro. The Debian folk had to jump a few hoops to get things to work on their own Distro. They quite easily overcame the library issues they were faced with, because they invariably know what they are doing. Now Steam can be installed on a range of distros, such as Arch, Gentoo, Fedora and OpenSUSE. I don't expect to see source from u-he either BTW (we can but dream though!).

I'm running elementaryOS Luna (which is based on Ubuntu 12.04). I know Bitwig runs on it, because I'm running it. I know Renoise runs on it, because I'm running it. I know numerous VST's run on it, because I'm running them.

It would be great to see some u-he plugins run on my distro too... but my post above was basically trying to say one thing... let's not make u-he regret supporting Linux by swamping them with negativity, or asking them to support dozens of different distros. In time, they can improve their support range, but for now let's be happy that they are supporting Linux at all!

As far as this goes:
falkTX wrote:
virusav wrote:I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the (very few) developers that are working on Linux builds, to only support the latest Ubuntu offerings. (...) RPM-based systems like Fedora might be worth considering, but we shouldn't expect u-he to support each and every distro, as there are simply too many, and this would overstretch them.
But that's the exactly the thing - they don't have to.
If builds are made in an older linux system (even with a newer toolchain) they will work for 99% of Linux users.

Building on newer linux distros will result in the reverse situation - the binaries will only work for distros similar to the ones they were built in.
...it is possible that building on older platforms means that the package doesn't run on newer platforms, due to incompatibilities also. So it isn't a one-stop-guarantee that this would be to everyone's advantage. Unreal 2k3 was ported over to Linux, and that relied on older libraries. Getting that to run on modern distros is neigh on impossible. That said, the problems with building the plugin on older systems would be minimal (for people trying to run it on newer systems), whereas the problems with building on newer systems are greater (for users trying to run the plugin on older systems)... so, I agree it might be worth some serious consideration.

TL;DR: Let's all upgrade! ;) </joke>

Hey there,
I wonder if I said it, but I plan to improve support for those old systems. So don't worry too much ;-)
Thanks.

briandc wrote: We need more of these types of controllers!! There's a market for it, at least here at KVR! ;)

brian
Thanks! You are totally right, I looked forever for something with more than 32 knobs/sliders on it, and I just couldn't find anything. Even those I did, were plastic, most had a poor feel to the knobs, or cheap pots.

It'd be nice to have OLED to do the labeling, but for now, a dry erase marker works. Though, it's not hard to remember the order (tried to lay it out like a eurorack modular: vco->mixer->filter->ADSR etc.). I also plan to make custom skins for Diva so visually it looks identical.
abique wrote:Crazy controller!!!! It must be totally awesome to play with a controller built by yourself :D
Absolutely! I'm not the greatest musician (or DIY'er), but it's enjoyable to make stuff whether it's music - or controllers :)

Just wiped out my hackintosh, installed Ubuntu Studio, Bitwig annnnd... Podolski! This is cool! Totally works. Haven't tested everything yet, but it plays, MIDI learn works, no glitches or crashes. Install was a breeze. Thanks for all your hard work Abique. FYI, I think line 54 of install.sh should be fi not if.

Urs, thank you for supporting this. ;)

Just in case others don't know how to find the vst folder in Bitwig; click the gear icon top left under "Browser - Configuration" then under "Plug-in locations" click "Add location", in the window that opens, click "Home" on the left nav, right click in the file browser on right and select "Show Hidden Files".
www.rb-d.com Web development and graphic design

Return to “u-he”