Which headphones while you play a midi keyboard?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m looking for a good set of headphones for this particular purpose: playing my Midi keyboard while trying to find inspiration and writing songs.

I have read some articles on choosing headphones for recording and mixing.

However, is it different if you need headphones while playing around with your Midi keyboard just for inspiration? I imagine you would need to hear the best sound that your sample libraries can offer.

In this case, should I go for headphones which are meant for recording, or mixing headphones?
Thank you

Recording headphones are closed, so their sound doesn't bleed into a mic that is on.

Generally, mixing headphones are open, and that allows them to be more accurate and, essentially, sound better. So I would recommend open.

A side effect of the open headphones is that they can be heard by those nearby when played at moderate leavers, so you might need to take that into consideration.

My favorite open headphones for mixing (and general listening as well) are the AKG K702, which have recently become much more affordable.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

the akg q701 are the same headphones as the k702 except they are less expensive and have a detachable cord.

i highly recommend them.

plus they look pretty sweet next to my lian li open case 8)

ImageImageImage

The K702 has a detachable cord as well.

On Amazon right now, the K702 are US$219. I paid $171. The Q701 are currently $192.

wesleyt wrote:The K702 has a detachable cord as well.

On Amazon right now, the K702 are US$219. I paid $171. The Q701 are currently $192.
I've got a pair of 702s. Very good IMO. Only issue is that sound from the world does tend to bleed in. Not so bad when playing a keyboard, but I also have a Korg Wavedrum that's acoustically pretty loud.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Pretty awesome, but it doesn't look too beefy on the low end. :hihi:

wesleyt wrote:Pretty awesome, but it doesn't look too beefy on the low end. :hihi:
:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Thank you so much for your kind replies.
May I ask if it is the same to buy the Sennheiser HD650, or the Beyerdynamic DT880s?
Are they also perfect for the purpose of playing the keyboard?

If you're only about playing and finding inspiration i'd suggest a HiFi pair of heaphones designed to sound the most pleasant as opposed to "pro" studio headphones that are more analytical and reveal every flaw in the signal.
For your needs I'd favor a HD650 that will be more forgiving with say an annoying ringing frequency in the mid high range than the analytical DT880 that would bring it upfront and urge you to correct it before continuing.

High end headphones work better with a dedicated amp, you might want to check that out if you go that route.

just to clear up what someone said up there.

The 702 is NOT the same headphone as the Qk701

702s are much more flat, the quincy jones version are still good but they are a more colored consumer version.

Yumid wrote:just to clear up what someone said up there.

702s are much more flat, the quincy jones version are still good but they are a more colored consumer version.
just to really clear things up...yes they are the same. theres like 1000 threads about this all over the internet.

and from akg themselves:

" To answer your questions on the what's unique about the new Quincy Signature Line, we'd like to let you know that Quincy Jones himself worked with us to design a headphone that made aesthetic changes to reflect more of his personal touch. The models come in black, white (with lime green accents) and a proprietary lime green color only available within the Signature Line. "

and again mentioned here: http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/03/a ... eview.html

"By AKG's own words: The difference between the Q701 and the previous model are limited to exterior aesthetics chosen by Quincy Jones."

aesthetic changes only.

the k701 k702 and q701 are all the same cans, with the only differences being detachable cables, slight aesthetic changes, and available colors.
Last edited by chaosWyrM on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

wesleyt wrote:Pretty awesome, but it doesn't look too beefy on the low end. :hihi:
My god that was cheesy.

Lettuce please revisit the OP's original request.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

chaosWyrM wrote:

just to really clear things up...yes they are the same. theres like 1000 threads about this all over the internet.

and from akg themselves:

" To answer your questions on the what's unique about the new Quincy Signature Line, we'd like to let you know that Quincy Jones himself worked with us to design a headphone that made aesthetic changes to reflect more of his personal touch. The models come in black, white (with lime green accents) and a proprietary lime green color only available within the Signature Line. "

and again mentioned here: http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/03/a ... eview.html

"By AKG's own words: The difference between the Q701 and the previous model are limited to exterior aesthetics chosen by Quincy Jones."

aesthetic changes only.

the k701 k702 and q701 are all the same cans, with the only differences being detachable cables, slight aesthetic changes, and available colors.
And besides these discussions have you ever ran any tests? I dont care enough to re do the graphs right now but I've done frequency response tests on both of them. And I'm not the only one. They may be 'built' the same. But sometimes all it takes IS changing the aesthetics to change the acoustics. I'm not going by discussions, I'm going by tests done to the headphones.

Yumid wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:

and from akg themselves:

aesthetic changes only.

And besides these discussions have you ever ran any tests? I dont care enough to re do the graphs right now but I've done frequency response tests on both of them. And I'm not the only one. They may be 'built' the same. But sometimes all it takes IS changing the aesthetics to change the acoustics. I'm not going by discussions, I'm going by tests done to the headphones.
the company who makes them has stated they are the same. i would add that it benefits them not at all to make this admission, considering the price differences. you can take 2 of the same anything and find some differences in them. im looking at 2 "identical" samsung monitors right now with all the exact same settings and they look slightly different.

my q701s will be different from yours.

have you tested multiple pairs of each? did all the q701s have identical results? did all the k702s have identical results? did they all undergo the exact same burn in? did you run the tests on each pair multiple times to make sure the results were consistent? are you sure they were all made in the same factory? some are from austria and some are from china. etc. etc. etc.

they are the same. any difference can be attributed to them being two separate pairs of headphones.

if tyll hertsens says theyre the same...who am i to argue? he certainly knows more than i do on the subject.

but by all means... dont listen to the people who actually make them or the people whos job it is to test and compare them. it doesnt effect me in the least, and this back and forth isnt helping anyone.

im out.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”