Cubase 7.5 stock reverbs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do these stack up against 3rd party reverbs? are they highly thought of or dont really cut it?

just interested to know what the general consensus is.

they don't. not even a real comparison. the cubase algorithmic reverbs are based on the free smart electronix ambiance. the new reverb is also ambiance with some added code.

I beg to differ with AstralExistence. The new reverbs are highly regarded. The latest algo reverb (Reverence?) would have saved me a bundle if it had come with an earlier version of Cubase. As it is, it is now my go-to, and replaces CSR, the new NI classic reverbs, and the Halls in Aether.

The IR reverb is also quite good, but it is, after all, an IR unit. I much prefer the shimmer of a live algo verb.

The most recent Cubase versions have really stepped up their game with the included plugs, and less and less 3rd party stuff is needed. There was a time when the Cubase plugs could be dismissed out of hand, but no longer.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

A matter of taste, REVelation & RERerence are both very good and usable to my ears, and to be honest, Roomworks is still one of the best 3d reverb i have ever used. So easy to put something back in the mix with that one.
So i suppose there is no consensus :hihi:

REVerence sounds good enough that I do not feel that I require another convolution reverb plugin. That plus the Valhalla stuff is enough for me.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

So I guess I had it backwards. Revelation is the algo 'verb. Excellent sound and fully integrated. Very cool.

@budweiser: I never heard Roomworks referred to as a "3D" reverb and I'm not sure what that is. I never really cared for it, but perhaps I've been using it wrong? What does one do differently with a 3D 'verb?
Berfab

BERFAB wrote:...
The most recent Cubase versions have really stepped up their game with the included plugs, and less and less 3rd party stuff is needed. There was a time when the Cubase plugs could be dismissed out of hand, but no longer.

Cheers
-B
Totally agree. In fact I've found myself using the stock plugins and strips more and more. Easily overlooked if you have been on the Steiny journey for a long time and built up a lot of 3rd party replacements.

I will say however, talking reverb. My goto's are still Valhalla Vintage (nothing vintage about it tbh :) ), 2CAudios B2/Aether and recently found the Eventides latest reverb in the rack! :borg:

MFXxx wrote:
BERFAB wrote:...

Cheers
-B
Totally agree. In fact I've found myself using the stock plugins and strips more and more. Easily overlooked if you have been on the Steiny journey for a long time and built up a lot of 3rd party replacements.
I hear that. I have a TON of 3rd party stuff that I never would have bought if I'd have known what was coming. And the new channel strip with presets really is a nice starting point. Even the instruments (Retrologue, Padshop and GA4SE) are top notch and cover a lot of ground.
Berfab

AstralExistence wrote:they don't. not even a real comparison. the cubase algorithmic reverbs are based on the free smart electronix ambiance. the new reverb is also ambiance with some added code.
Hm, where did you get that info? Not that just because it's free, it's bad.

I think the new Revelation-reverb isn't that bad, as they added some modulation alogs. Here is an impro-test I made some moths ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK-eijUxeGA

Although I'm a very satisfied Aether owner, if Revelation had been around a few years back when I decided to buy Aether, I might well have felt Revelation was all I needed for an algo verb.

chk071 wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:they don't. not even a real comparison. the cubase algorithmic reverbs are based on the free smart electronix ambiance. the new reverb is also ambiance with some added code.
Hm, where did you get that info? Not that just because it's free, it's bad.
its a hidden fact steinberg doesn't like people to mention or want to know. what i say is true though. they don't want to the new users of cubase to know this and try to sweep this under the rug. steinberg love to recycle there old code when making new products. its annoying the need to stop doing this just to save money.

I have a ton of 3rd party reverbs but since Cubase 7 I dont use them anymore. The included reverbs are very good.

AstralExistence wrote: its a hidden fact steinberg doesn't like people to mention or want to know.
Aha... :P
AstralExistence wrote: what i say is true though.
Well, without a solid proof or source, you could claim anything here, how would people know if you're telling the truth (with which i mean you're telling things which have been confirmed by officials, or trustworth people, and not something you read somewhere else or anything)? Does the guy (Magnus from smartelectronix) have anything to do with Steinberg? Does or did he work there, or has he shared his work with them? I know Waldorf did a plugin for Steinberg once, the A1 plugin, so it's not completely unrealistic, but again, without any kind of source, one can claim a lot of things.

BERFAB wrote: @budweiser: I never heard Roomworks referred to as a "3D" reverb and I'm not sure what that is. I never really cared for it, but perhaps I've been using it wrong? What does one do differently with a 3D 'verb?
Well, i'm talking about moving a sound forward or backward in the mix, with ease, without adding too much (or at all) tail. Theorically every reverb can achieve that, but i've found it's far to be the case, and like everybody here, i own a bunch a reverbs, including the whole uad gang. 3D is inappropriate, but it's the first word i think about.
Roomworks (the aptly named) can do this with ease, adding some sense of room without any tail, and pushing a sound in the background of a mix.
Probably not a star in the reverb world because it's not a shiny one (sensibly used you just don't hear it), but a very efficient tool when placing sounds in the mix ! Very underrated, imo.

Return to “Effects”