Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Edited post (removed screenshot) Detune IS working. :)
Last edited by DrewDale on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
:tu: All is good

Note that detune only slightly changes the freq. So probable you have to use 2 parallel ops and detune them in opposite direction to hear the beating.

Chris-S wrote:Note that detune only slightly changes the freq. So probable you have to use 2 parallel ops and detune them in opposite direction to hear the beating.
(edited)
Just tried it out, I can hear it working now, thanks Chris.

Chris-S wrote:Note that detune only slightly changes the freq. So probable you have to use 2 parallel ops and detune them in opposite direction to hear the beating.
According to the DX7 manual, "If MODE is set to FREQUENCY (RATIO) the operators are set to a standard frequency of 1.00 (8 feet) when the PITCH COARSE key is pressed. The frequency can then be varied from by one half (0.5 times) to 32 times. FINE adjustement is possible over a range of from 1 to 1.99 times. If the frequency is increased by 2 times, for example, the pitch will increase by one octave."

About the DETUNE parameter:
"The operator frequency as determined by the FREQUENCY COARSE and FREQUENCY FINE controls can be detuned over a -7 to a +7 range"

This is rather criptic, but it seems that we set a kind of master diapason with the COARSE and FINE parameters, and then use DETUNE to change the pitch of the note. I never used a DX7, and used a DX7 II only briefly, but I remember the DX7 II had micro-tuning capabilities.
Fernando (FMR)

I used to have a DX7 IIFD and yes that had micro tuning. Thanks for the info, I have had a play around and it is working as it should do on Dexed. :)

What I can't find in the GUI is the key scaling break point.

EDIT: found it. :D

I've just read the code and the detune is based on a fixed frequency... that's not accurate.

This will be fixed in the next version.

Please make a global "Hide keyboard" option (as in "set and forget")!
Please optimize processor usage when idle (now is almost the same as when playing), or even make it to auto suspend.
Please include copy/paste for individual patches.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, please notify host after program/cartridge change, i.e. that the project is modified -> ask to save on exit.

Hi,

I tried 0.7 this morning and I found some sounds attack clipping when in mono mode, mostly when sound is in the low frequency, like bass sounds with short decay.
Any plan to solve this ?

asb2m10 wrote:
I've just read the code and the detune is based on a fixed frequency... that's not accurate.

This will be fixed in the next version.
So, my post of the excerpt from the DX7 manual actually paid :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

Note play with midi keyboard is broken within Tracktion 5 on OSX when sequencer is stopped.
Must reset the audio engine commande (yellow triangle near transport commands) to make it play again.

Can "Send Program to DX"7 and "Send Cartridge to DX7" be represented as 2 separate buttons on the GUI?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

BlackWinny wrote:
Maomoondog wrote:
BlackWinny wrote: I'm trying to make a huge collection of sysex for Dexed... but I must tell you that sometimes I'm very close to abandon, only because of the problems I have related, despite the huge quality of the engine of the synth.
Please don't abandon the sysex compilation, it is a great help to the community and of the dexed lovers :pray:
Don't worry, Bernd, I shall not abandon. I'm too much passionate... and it is certainly very very useful for many Dexed and DX lovers. It's a real pain for my eyes, but I shall not abandon.
:hug:
SO..., how's it going?

I hate to bring this up, but are there any legal issues with using factory DX7 presets? I've tried asking Yamaha USA but they don't seem to understand what a preset is. All the ones on the net were technically created by a user when they were transferred to the pc?

toothnclaw wrote:SO..., how's it going?
It's running. The search for duplicates and the regrouping of collections which are scattered everywhere is the hardest part of the job. But it progresses. A new version of my collection will be ready probably in the middle of the coming week with around 250 new sysex files (8000 patches) in addition.
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”