Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

dformd wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote:
xybre wrote:I just realized that Serum is almost identical to a synth I was designing. The sound generation portion (although laid out differently) is the same (2 wavescanning OSCs, a noise/oneshot generator, and a suboscillator). I was going to generate additional overtone harmonics using additive-like partials but you've done much the same thing using FM (and its probably simpler to code/use).

There's two noticeable differences (a couple of important features missing in the noise osc) but I'm really surprised at the similarity since I thought the combination was unique.

Kudos. There may not be much of a point in me building my own now.
I dunno, always room for more IMO maybe try to shift the direction a little? I'd like to see a GUI or layout if you have one. Start a different thread and show us maybe?
+1
I'll see what I can do, but really Serum looks great :)
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

I'd read the manual anyway. So, why not. Plus, crowdsourced editors FTW.

Cover page text reads:

"a Synthesizer Instrument plug-in for VST AudioUnit, and AAX hosts"

You've eliminated the reverse oxford comma in devious way to challenge the establishment. I like it.

Seriously though, you're missing a comma. :)
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Seriously though, you're missing a comma. :)
Nobody appreciates a grassroots rebellion anymore! Thanks, fixed.

Since this is now the Official Serum Manual thread :clown: here's one more detail I spotted:

In the table of filter types (p. 69), the entry for CombHL / Flange HL / Phase HL reads "Comb/Flanger/Phaser with a Hipass filter in the internal feedback circuit." I guess that should be "with a Hipass/Lowpass filter pair" or similar...
If you like 80s retro sounds, check out my latest tune…

How would you rate it for VA-type sounds? Does it sound cold and harsh (like majority of wavetable synths) or it can sound warm and "analog"?

How would you rate it for VA-type sounds? Does it sound cold and harsh (like majority of wavetable synths) or it can sound warm and "analog"?
I'd rate it good (of course I would? no seriously), everyone has their own definitions of what that means. There are two chaos oscillators you can use (well, subtly in this case) to simulate oscillator pitch drift. The ladder filter certainly has a fluid, analog character and what I consider a "warmth". The portamento curve can be sculpted, you and make the keytracking a little imperfect if desired. So I think it's quite possible to get things which are "convincingly analog" which I think is ultimately about the flaws. I've included a bunch of wavetables from analog/modular oscillators as well and my sound designers included even more, so you have a pretty comprehensive collection of simple analog waveforms.

Since the demo is 8 hours or less out, hopefully you'll find the time to give it a run yourself, and I look forward to your feedback!

Thanks Steve! Can't wait!

so is the demo only available early for nerve users? or for all registered users? Just wondering since i didnt see it in the lfotool or cthulhu forums

I see the Sub osc was deemed too simple in comparison to the other oscs so it didn't get a chapter in the manual. :oops:

so is the demo only available early for nerve users? or for all registered users? Just wondering since i didnt see it in the lfotool or cthulhu forums
Unfortunately things haven't gone as planned there. Long story short, I've run out of time and it makes more sense just to get everything rolled out on schedule.
I see the Sub osc was deemed too simple in comparison to the other oscs so it didn't get a chapter in the manual.
oops! I'll certainly have to update that in 1.01, it's on my to-do list, thanks.

Aiynzahev wrote:I've been watching the SeamlessR video and what strikes me is how clearly powerful this thing is yet instead of looking intimidating it looks very accessible positively inviting.

This also strikes me as a synth that can both reach far back into the history of electronic sounds and take us to new places.

Those things are key to a synths appeal for me and an indicator of longevity.
Does this sound like a Sami sound bank in the not too distant future? :hihi:
I for one, would love that eventuality.

one more to-do for the manual: macros!?
sure, most of us know what macros are/do, just for them newbs :)

Aaaaaand it's Friday, at least where I live :party:

what's the ETA looking like Steve?
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true

it should be "tonight" as in a couple hours... give or take, well, a couple hours... :lol: everything is ready to go except the website! :party:

Well, I'm disappointed. It's been Friday for 16 hours already here in New Zealand :hihi:
Eternitysound VST Banks

Return to “Instruments”