Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Breeze wrote:BTW, I hope someone can give 2DaT some feedback on the new 12dB filter, which is partly why he resurrected this thread. I'm currently reconfiguring my studio which is in pieces so I can't be of any help right now...
Having just tested out the filter in comparison to the previous version, I can report that is sounds a lot more powerful than before, using the same patch and changing the filter controls, I can hear a difference between them. Very good update.

CPU wise it uses a lot less when idle on my slow pc (2gb Ram) and even when playing chords, it uses at least 15% less on some patches too.

All in all some great improvements. :clap:
:tu: All is good

RAM not having much to do with the speed of actual DSP crunching the PC, so you should've said which CPU you actually use. :)

But yeah, having a bit more RAM (4 or 8 GB) wouldn't hurt you. ;)

Sorry yes I should mention CPU % ;)

Idle with this new version - between 5 - 7 % CPU
Idle with previous version - between 12 - 15 % CPU

Playing with this new version - between 12 - 16 % CPU (Based on a 3 note chord with 8 voice allocation)
Playing with previous version - between 20 - 25 % CPU (Based on a 3 note chord with 8 voice allocation)

As can be seen - a vast difference :)

I mean what's your CPU in the machine. 2 GB of RAM is not really important for OBXD.

EvilDragon wrote:I mean what's your CPU in the machine. 2 GB of RAM is not really important for OBXD.
This is all the other information I know - Intel Pentium Dual CPU E260 @ 1.80GHZ -

That's it. Quite feeble by today's standards indeed... Lucky you can squeeze anything out of it :)

EvilDragon wrote:That's it. Quite feeble by today's standards indeed... Lucky you can squeeze anything out of it :)
Sadly I have no work and very little money :(

DrewDale wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:That's it. Quite feeble by today's standards indeed... Lucky you can squeeze anything out of it :)
Sorry to hear that :? There are so many people with financial and health problems on this board that it is scary, frankly :P

You can increase the CPU efficiency further by reducing the number of voices to what you really need. Reducing it from 8 to 4 can save you additional CPU cycles.

DrewDale wrote:
little OT:
sorry for ya mate, you're in quite good company around here... but beside the stress that ain't a prob for making music and enjoying a very large amount of vst synths and stuff nowadays, as we still can play and have fun and produce even on old machines and a dual core is already a good one, there's who's still on a single core, trust me. I did 2 massive albums in the past using win xp, an athlon 1.5 ghz with 512 ram and 30 hd, tons of freeware good vst and logic audio 5 (the latest version that was available on pc) and used for a very long time all that stuff and even if I have a kinda better pc now (but with many new issues) the old baby still works and run music software.
end OT

by the way never thanked the devs and gui makers for this very great piece of free synth and labour of love, as OBXD is indeed, so thanks a lot for sharing it with us and keep developing.
And it works on old machine too ;)
:tu:
Peace
D.

i would echo @diego's comment.
i have not long ago finally replaced a faithful old machine with a new one ( i have saved and scrimped and begged for a LONG time, my old machine was well over 5 years old) in order to do this. the difference ( to me) is astonishing and i can do things and run software i never could previously.
but, let me say this. ( as cliche and parochial as it may sound), limitation can be your greatest ally creatively speaking. for years i had only things like acid pro 2 and cool edit and of course, a multitude of freebies, ( which i still use, esp. stuff like smartelectronix, uhe freebies ( tyrrel is awesome for a freebie, then there is podolski..and zebralette etc... vember surge, all great synths ), there are some amazing plugs out there that are free AND great quality, i even recommend things like Podium Free which is a free version of their DAW and it is surprisingly good and restriction free ( not totally, but for the most part)..
i listen back now to the music i made and it surprises me how inventive i was when i had just a small amount of tools to work with. some of it sounds terrible even now i am very poor at mixing, yet the invention was there in spades. so, i guess i am just saying, don't despair, just work with what you can in the meantime.
i happen to really love that OBXD and still use it tonnes..
just keep on making music first, then worry about the other stuff later.
my only real tip for you would be, work with audio whenever possible. bounce, freeze anything to lessen your cpu load. i actually prefer cutting up audio up to midi editing, there is something very meditative and relaxing about it for me, personally speaking : )

2DaT wrote:Before the actual update i want to test a new 12 db filter model. Just curious whether you notice the difference to old one :).
In a quick non-scientific A-B, I compared the new 12dB filter to the old one today and to me it seems practically the same, maybe a tad more beefy in the low end. No objections. Sounds good.

Breeze wrote:
2DaT wrote:Before the actual update i want to test a new 12 db filter model. Just curious whether you notice the difference to old one :).
In a quick non-scientific A-B, I compared the new 12dB filter to the old one today and to me it seems practically the same, maybe a tad more beefy in the low end. No objections. Sounds good.
I too did some A/B comparisons, and I notice a slightly better "body" in the sounds coming from the new filter, but it is subtle. Anyway, I have no objections. It doesn't affect the old presets, and, even if slightly, it seems to sound a little better. No problems noticed in performance - again, slightly better, but I have a good computer, therefore, I had no issues with CPU.

Now, what I am keen to see is the new functions implemented in the GUI.
Fernando (FMR)

Hi Everyone,

Can somebody please tell me if the download link on page 1 is the latest version? In addition, is there a separate thread with skins and patches?

Thanks!
Last edited by bharris22 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duplicate post

bharris22 wrote:Can somebody please tell me if the download link on page 1 is the latest version? In addition, is there a separate thread with skins and patches?
Not sure, but you can get the last stable release on 2DaT's OBXD site.

There's a more recent 1.1 beta version a page back, but it's a WIP. CPU seems a little higher when some new options are enabled; and the new options are only available as parameters and not on the GUI yet.

( @2DaT: Whazzup doc? ;) )

Return to “Instruments”