Small, but great quality midi controller/keyboard?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

i'm selling my mpk49 and maschine mk2, because... well maschine is great but its not for me, and mpk49 is too big for me, as my "studio" room is very small, so i need something small but with great quality(dunno if such controllers exist).

what i probably need is a 37 keys maximum keyboard with few knobs, it should be slim (i think most 25keys keyboards are too bulky, i hate mini keys thou lol). after quick search...well do such thing even exist?

korg nano series and similar controllers imo are not that great quality (well they are cheap thou).

any suggestions?

p.s.: sorry for my not so good english, i'm not from english speaking country :)

Honestly, if you want full-size keys and good quality in a short-span keyboard, I think Novation is the only choice right now.

Roland a300 pro is one of the very few 37 keys controllers.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Roland a300 pro is one of the very few 37 keys controllers.
I have it, I would not get it if I were you, it has died after just two years. And judging from my search I am not the only one with that problem.
The keys feel good, but the sliders don't, there are too many buttons and using them all requires you to study the fat manual. It is not very intuitive in my view.

Apart from that it only has 32 keys, not 37. But frankly, either one is very few, I would not buy one with fewer than 49 keys anymore.

This months CM has an article on best midi controllers at various price points. The Acorn Masterkey has 25 full size keys, 4 knobs and a data entry fader for only £50. In the £200 plus range, the Korg Taktile looks good, but CM's favorite is the Akai MPK249 which has an arpegiator and "MPC functionality". I'm using a ReMote 25SL and am very happy with it. Six years of trouble free use. :)

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi there!

Icon actually makes the iKeyboard series which is specifically designed to be compact but feature full-sized keys. It is 'shallower' than most keyboards, so you can put it on the front of a desk without having to push other equipment back quite as much.

The keys are closed-front piano-action keys, and it comes in length from 25 to 61 keys. It also has a single touchstrip for DAW mixer control using Mackie Control protocol or HUI, as well as transport controls for a DAW and automation controls for adjusting mixes on the fly right from the keyboard.

Check it out: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... 9_key.html (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/997458-REG/icon_digital_usa_ikeyboard5_ikeyboard_5_49_key.html)

Cheers,
Rob

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”