Unmatched power cords on a monitor pair, probably nothing but...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I bought 2 Adam A7X's (sold separately, not as a pair) a few weeks ago and the power button got jammed on one so I went and exchanged it. Just got home and I noticed the Power Cord on the new one is slightly different than the power cord on my 3 week old one.

Obviously they both function the exact same, and power is power. But it cant help but make me wonder that if since the power cords are different, maybe the speakers aren't exactly the same? Which is obviously a problem when you have a 'pair.' My research prior to exchanging these made me confident that the Adams aren't acoustically treated as a pair so exchanging just 1 wouldnt be a problem.

But simply based on the fact that I only bought these 3 weeks apart and the power cord is a different 'model' (for lack of a better word) makes me question if maybe they are sold as pairs and the guy who is selling them to me is just saying they aren't?

Its hard for me to compare them right now since one is broken in and one isn't. With that being said they sound great and nothing SEEMS to be different beyond one being a bit newer so it sounds a bit more crisp, but nothing an average consumer would notice if they werent listening hard for it.

Again, I'm probably being paranoid. But these babies aren't cheap so I gotta be sure. Are there any definitive tests I can do on each speaker to find out how they exactly respond to a noise sweep or something?

I definitely understand your concern, I would have it too, although it's most likely just an unimportant change.
Yumid wrote:Are there any definitive tests I can do on each speaker to find out how they exactly respond to a noise sweep or something?
The definitive way is using a pure sine wave. I made this sweep for listening to the frequency balance of speakers and headphones I use. It has 5 break points because I wanted to focus on useful ranges, since the generator can't do it itself (it's linear, hearing isn't).

Don't be alarmed when you find out that the "holes" and "bumps" in the amplitude at various points of the sweep are significantly different between your monitors (and usually worse in headphones). It's normal and usually much worse than people believe it should be. The important thing to notice is whether the overall response is similar. What this test can't tell you at all is about the response of the speakers with dynamic content, transients, and their general sound "color and "character", and there really is no "definitive" and simple way to test this, gotta listen and decide.

Since one of your monitors is currently barely broken in, you will very likely hear extreme differences. You may have to wait up to several weeks (yes, that's not a "myth") before they would really be fairly matched in their response. Of course, you have to take the placement in the room into account, mostly for the low frequency response.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”