One-Synth-Challenge #67: Digits by Extent of the Jam (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After a hiatus of several months I'm really happy to be back with an entry for this OSC. Thanks BJ and admins for choosing a Mac compatible synth this month!

I found Digits to be a little tough -- it required a lot of fine tweaking and is definitely a little eccentric, but the quality of the sound is really nice, and at the end of the day it was fun to use. This piece was meant to be light hearted, but it takes kind of a left turn in the middle, and then comes back.

23 instances of Digits in Logic. Logic compression, EQ, Delay. I stacked a couple of tracks for the kick and the pads. All original sounds except for the horns which was a tweaked preset.

I hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/ontrack ... the-digits

Just finished up my first entry ever in OSC.

DAW
FLStudio 11

17x Digits

DAW Plugins
1x Fruity Multiband Compressor
2x Fruity Fast Dist
2x Fruity Compressor
3x Fruity Parametric Eq 2
3x Fruity Limiter
2x Fruity Delay 2
1x Fruity Blood overdrive
1x Fruity Filter
1x Fruity reverb 2

Freeware Plugins
2x Tal Bitcrusher
1x Volume Eleven (used for simple mastering)

https://soundcloud.com/particleray/dv-5

ParticleRay wrote:Just finished up my first entry ever in OSC.
Nice and welcome to OSC! :)

z.prime wrote:
ParticleRay wrote:Just finished up my first entry ever in OSC.
Nice and welcome to OSC! :)
Yup. Welcome to the family. Lots of nice people here with plenty of very good advice on all aspects of making music in lots of styles - even though we are using a single synth sound source!

dB

ontrackp wrote: ... but it takes kind of a left turn in the middle, and then comes back.
Nice track. And whoa, a BIG left turn, glad you told us, but I like it ... inventive stuff. The parts either side are very well crafted. Good luck with this.

dB

Thanks dB - I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks for the welcome.

It was interesting trying to use a synth for percussion but I managed to make a whole set with little to no plugin effects to enhance them. I so used to pulling from a sample library for the task and tweaking from there

ParticleRay wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

It was interesting trying to use a synth for percussion but I managed to make a whole set with little to no plugin effects to enhance them. I so used to pulling from a sample library for the task and tweaking from there
It's strangely liberating... being restricted to just the synth, right?

If the synth is good enough, going back to samples can be irritating - you lose all that tweakability. :)

z.prime wrote: It's strangely liberating... being restricted to just the synth, right?

If the synth is good enough, going back to samples can be irritating - you lose all that tweakability. :)
It does open up more possibilities since I do enjoy using older drum machine sounds. I might go through and save the sounds from this project as samples

ParticleRay wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

Surprisingly, my experience with OSC has drastically help me with samples. Finding the best sample is easier, tweaking them, layering them, etc

DELETED ...
Last edited by marks-a-whybikky on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hey "Marks-a-Whybikky" this is a very nice track. :clap:

Great example of the purist electronica genre and some super sound design. Like I said on my comment, reminds me a lot of Peter Zinofieff's work and some of the later work in Curved Air's Phantasmagoria LP. :phones:

I hope this track appeals to fellow OSC-ers and hope it does very well. :tu:

dB

Here is my entry for OSC #67, "32 Fingers And A Thumb"

https://soundcloud.com/ted209/ted209-32 ... nd-a-thumb

The DAW used was Logic Pro 9, with the following plugins:
33 instances of Digits

DAW Native:
32 channel EQ
20 compressor
8 gain
5 silververb
3 Goldverb
2 Platinumverb
2 Dirmix
1 Stereo Delay
1 Adaptive Limiter
1 Linear Phase EQ
1 Noise Gate

Free 3rd Party plugins
5 Ambience
Expert Sleepers Ping Pong Delay
DDMF ColourEQ

It started out with the aim of being a bit techno but turned more trance. In retrospect I wish I'd embraced the spirit of the synth a little more, and perhaps done something a little more leftfield. Leftfield as in weird, not as in the band.

Hi friends,

Just a quick note to say that I have replaced my submission (both the mp3 encoded download AND the flac encoded download. See the SC page for details of each).

In this version I have let my drummer loose as he thought he was not loud enough :hihi:

But, to be fair I have also compensated for the drummer beating the drums up by adjusting the volume and EQ on the other players in the band. 8)

Hope you like this version. If not, please YELL ...

Best,

dB

Hello everyone! I made a track with Digits. Hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/peter-macmurchy/ ... ger-digits

My entry for One-Synth-Challenge 67: Digits.
Made in Studio One Producer 2.6.3 x86
31 Digits instances

Presonus FX:
Compressor x 4
Pro EQ x 15
Spectrum Meter x 1
Limiter x 4
Beat Delay x 1
Tricomp x 1

Modern Lost Angel x 2
Modern Seventh Sign x 1
Modern Fire Chainer x 1
AudioDamage RoughRider x 3
Greywolf BlueArp x many
RunBeerRun RobotArms x 1
Voxengo Stereo Touch x 14
Voxengo Tube Amp x 3
Limiter6 x 2
TAL-Tube x 6
VOS Density mkIII x 1
VOS SlickHDR x 2
VOS Thrillseeker LA x 1
VOS Thrillseeker VBL x 1
VOS Thrillseeker XTC x 3
Freeverb3_Hibiki_Reverb x 2

DR 7
Edit: forgot to count BlueArp instances. v2.06 is really stable so I used it on everything except legato chords & live-recorded midi
Last edited by psmacmur on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”