PPG Wave 3.V MIDI Control Assignment

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

does anyone know a way of assigning controls in the PPG Wave 3.V to hardware MIDI controls? There seems to be no option in the PPG plugin itself to auto-learn incoming MIDI signals. I'm using REAPER as the host.
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

PPG Wave 3.V do not include a built-in MIDI-Learn but Reaper should include it's own MIDI Learn feature.

Besides that there is a table of fixed CC numbers included in the manual (e.g. CC74 for Filter Cutoff) which could be assigned in you controller or with a dedicated editor software.
There currently seems to be a problem with using those in PPG Wave 3.V which i confirmed today (seems to work properly with the VST2 in Live 9 and also with the AAX plugin). Today I sent a bug report to the developer and the Waldorf QA Director. Hopefully this will be fixed soon (not sure how long, could be just a day or a week depending on how simple it is).

The current 64-bit, VST3 and AAX updates are no final versions (those are "Release Candidates") but be hope to release final versions during the upcoming weeks. We (especially myself) are currently working hard on finding remaining bugs.
Those 64-bit, VST3 and AAX updates added more new bugs (not included in the old 32-bit plugins) than we expected and sometimes fixing one bug adds another new one..

UPDATE:
Currently checking MIDI Learn for PPG Wave 3.V Reaper myself and creating some screenshots.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingo, thanks for the extensive info! Looking forward to the final release of 3.V! I have to dig more into Reaper myself, I'm only using it as a VST wrapper, not as my main DAW.
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

sys2074 wrote:Ingo, thanks for the extensive info! Looking forward to the final release of 3.V! I have to dig more into Reaper myself, I'm only using it as a VST wrapper, not as my main DAW.
Hi,

MIDI Learn in Repaer seems to work with PPG Wave 3.V (also with the current version).

Here are the steps including some screenshots:

1.) Go to "Param" in Reaper, directly above the GUi of the synth (marked in Red):

There you could go to "FX Parameter List" and the "Learn" which will open a drop-down menu with all parameters where you could select the desired one.

2.) You could also first move the desired control/knob in the GUI and the the "Param" menu looks like this:

Click on "Learn"

3.) When "Learn" is activated this window appears:

Then move the MIDI controller you would like to assign (e.g. knob or fader).

4.) If the MIDI controller is successfully assigned the corresponding CC number should appear like this:

If it didn't work this will not appear but will stay empty

5.) Press OK in the dialog box and it should work now.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Awesome, Thanks for the guide! The control assignment in Reaper is quite convenient for plugins that don't offer such a feature. I have one suggestion for the Waldorf devs though: Could you make the patch browse prev/next buttons MIDI control assignable? That is usually very convenient when browsing through patches, sitting in front of the keyboard and just pressing buttons on a MIDI controller instead of having to grab the mouse each time. This works nicely in Omnisphere for example.

I think any newer synth plugin these days should have a feature to right-click on a control, and then use MIDI learn.

I am surprised PPG Wave 3.V doesn't have that, but I'll see how I can get it to work in Sonar X3.

Why code it all over again if the DAW can already handle it just by clicking a control? :D

EvilDragon wrote:Why code it all over again if the DAW can already handle it just by clicking a control? :D
Ok, ok... :wink:
but it looks a lot more complicated by those screenshots Ingo posted, when compared to just right-clicking on a control. I mean, if they are updating it and all with other fixes and enhancements, why not throw that in to make it easier? :)

There are some others I want this for as well, and Tone2's Saurus is one of them.
Nemesis has the right-click functionality, but RayBlaster doesn't.

Examigan wrote:but it looks a lot more complicated by those screenshots Ingo posted, when compared to just right-clicking on a control.
Not really. The 2) part Ingo explained usually does the trick in about a second or two. :) Click the knob, then go to Param->Learn and move your controller. Done. And works on ANY VST with automatable parameters, no matter if it has built-in MIDI learn or not.

Examigan wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Why code it all over again if the DAW can already handle it just by clicking a control? :D
but it looks a lot more complicated by those screenshots Ingo posted, when compared to just right-clicking on a control. I mean, if they are updating it and all with other fixes and enhancements, why not throw that in to make it easier? :)
It is quite easy and comfortable in Reaper at least. Can't tell about other DAWs.

sys2074 wrote:
Examigan wrote:
It is quite easy and comfortable in Reaper at least. Can't tell about other DAWs.
I just set it up in X3 using ACT, and it's working ok now with PPG Wave 3.V and my Oxygen25.
:)

Return to “Instruments”