Bladerunner would be forgettable without the soundtrack.

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Disagree ... Soundtrack is great and not dated I will say that .. Its a sci fi / detective movie ....Its got a very slow pace I dozed off the 1st time I watched it . District 9 as well , but I was drawn to watch both movies again . Blade runner is a great movie .... American Beauty , Se7en , K pax , District 9 , Donnie Darko , Blade Runner ... Are some of my favorite movies ..Mist if them have great soundtracks as well .. Loved the 1st Rocky movies soundtrack and movie too other than the poor choreographed boxing .... Its story was great Rocky loses but wins the crowd... Much like Rutger Hower save Harrison Ford at the end of Blade runner ...

fedexnman wrote:Disagree ... Soundtrack is great and not dated I will say that .. Its a sci fi / detective movie ....Its got a very slow pace I dozed off the 1st time I watched it . District 9 as well , but I was drawn to watch both movies again .
By comparison, District 9 had me glued, I'm not sure that I remember the soundtrack. I don't recall that D9 was slow at all. KPax is also good, but again, I don't have any recollection of the soundtrack.

ghettosynth wrote:
fedexnman wrote:Disagree ... Soundtrack is great and not dated I will say that .. Its a sci fi / detective movie ....Its got a very slow pace I dozed off the 1st time I watched it . District 9 as well , but I was drawn to watch both movies again .
By comparison, District 9 had me glued, I'm not sure that I remember the soundtrack. I don't recall that D9 was slow at all. KPax is also good, but again, I don't have any recollection of the soundtrack.
Your right District 9 wasn't slow.. it was Shartlo Copley's talking to the camera man much like Blair Witch Project that got me side tracked .. I loved District 9 ...

fedexnman wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Your right District 9 wasn't slow.. it was Shartlo Copley's talking to the camera man much like Blair Witch Project that got me side tracked .. I loved District 9 ...
I'm trying to think of other movies that I really remember mostly for the soundtrack. Run Lola Run comes to mind, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie as well as the soundtrack. Obviously there are a lot of "music" movies with great soundtracks, but that's cheating :)

Of that time, one of my favorite electronic soundtracks is David Lynch's (and Fats Waller's) "Eraserhead".

My mom bugged me for years to watch Bladerunner, and for whatever reason I never wanted to watch it.

Normally my mom and I enjoy all the same sci-fi movies, (we both loved Guardians of the Galaxy) but Bladerunner didn't intrigue me.

Then I heard the "Blade Runner Blues" after a KVR member was talking about achieving the "Vangelis" sound and that just made me want to watch it.

And I was glad I did, I enjoyed it a lot for how different it is compared to other sci-fi movies.

It is a movie that requires you to think however, so don't watch it unless your brain is willing.

HydrogenHuman wrote:My mom bugged me for years to watch Bladerunner, and for whatever reason I never wanted to watch it.

It is a movie that requires you to think however, so don't watch it unless your brain is willing.
So tell us, what did it make you think about?

aMUSEd wrote:
bailees7irish wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:It's an awesome film (for me one of the very best scifi films ever made) but what is interesting is Harrison Ford also starred in another film about the same time that although subject-wise was completely different has a lot of structural similarities and also has a great synth soundtrack that takes it to another level - Witness.
I think Harrison Ford is a major part of the problem with Blade Runner. He's just not a good actor by any stretch of the imagination. A better lead actor could have lifted the movie considerably. Rutger Hauer, however, was f***ing badass as always.
Nah he's fine for the film it was. And Witness.
Nah, I disagree. :hihi:
[Insert Signature Here]

Without going back and reading this whole post I'm sure someone has probably already pointed this out but... when it came out Blade Runner was pretty unique. It borrowed from a ton of genre's but it didn't look like much of anything that came before it. Future noir, heavy on the noir. Of course since then it's been riffed on by a ton of follow on's, and there's nothing wrong with that and some of them were great but... Blade Runner was for it's time pretty original. So yeah, if you saw it 10-20 years after it came out and after seeing all the films it influenced then probably it's not super impressive.... plus I can tell you that most people missed the little unicorn easter-egg on first watching (though maybe that was directors cut only, can't remember).

Bladerunner has more of a cult thing going for it like Donnie Darko or Twin Peaks, it's wonderfully atmospheric and Harrison Fords plays the jaded Deckard really well IMO.
The music, cinematography, dialogue and set design create an amazing atmosphere and it's impossible for me to think that any one thing is better than the other. I also couldn't imagine anyone else playing Deckard either.
Probably seen the film 20 times... that and Donnie Darko:)

chrisby wrote:plus I can tell you that most people missed the little unicorn easter-egg on first watching (though maybe that was directors cut only, can't remember).
The unicorn dream scene wasn't in the original release. It still had Deckard finding Gaff's origami - giving a different meaning to the scene - just before a final "happy ending" scene.

Gamma-UT wrote:
chrisby wrote:plus I can tell you that most people missed the little unicorn easter-egg on first watching (though maybe that was directors cut only, can't remember).
The unicorn dream scene wasn't in the original release. It still had Deckard finding Gaff's origami - giving a different meaning to the scene - just before a final "happy ending" scene.
Interesting... I saw it when it first came out (despite it pretty much flopping I think) and a probably 3-4 times since so kinda lost track. Also remember reading that the first version's test screenings didn't have the voice over and most of the audience didn't get much of the story at all. Apparently the voice over was a big deal / controversy to all involved after the fact....

I've always liked it (have the 5 disk box set...) but have to admit it's a little shallow overall, style over substance etc etc. Not helped by the different versions, lack luster voiceover, confusing interviews by the writers/director almost arguing over the meaning of stuff... All part of the mythology I guess. Take it as a simple tale and it's fine but they could have gone a lot deeper I feel.

However, never considered the soundtrack as great as people suggest, actually dislike the love theme, cheesy sax and all.

chrisby wrote:Also remember reading that the first version's test screenings didn't have the voice over and most of the audience didn't get much of the story at all. Apparently the voice over was a big deal / controversy to all involved after the fact....
There's a scan of the notes from a producers screening floating around, hell, they really hated it. :) Ford was pretty much dragged back in to record the narration against his will which is probably why it's so flat.

ghettosynth wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: yes, the film can be slow in places
Well, then we agree.
even if you had quoted me properly, we don't agree. hell, i don't even think you agree with your initial position :roll:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”