[MPower beta] How to...?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some things don't seem obvious. Let me start with a first question:

I want to attach the velocity of a note to the filter frequency (cutoff). The way to establish this looks a bit tedious to me:

1) Define a Multiparameter:
--- Tab: Normal
--- Parameter: Filter 1 - Frequency
--- Range Mode: Interval
--- Activate Multiparameter (to hear the result)
--- Value/Max value: tweak to taste

2) Link the Multiparameter to Velocity:
--- Open Settings of MP
--- Select "Attach to Midi Controller"
--- Choose "Velocity on" in the Midi section

Question: Is there no other (read: faster) way to achieve this? :-/

First thing is the main limitation of MPowerSynth - these things are global, not per-note, so the filter will adjust to all notes at once (in monophonic mode it doesn't matter...)

Anyway why don't you attach the MIDI to the filter directly?
Go to Settings / MIDI settings - select velocity on and choose the parameter ;).
And yeah I know, it could use some smarter MIDI learn, it's in the loooong to-do list :D.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Ah, I see. :ud:

Anyway, if you're used to a couple of hardwired functions present in 99% of synths it causes some headscratch when they're not at the place where you'd expect them. :D

Guess it'll solve my search for the stnadard key-to-filter function, too. Will have a look later on.

Would it be possible to add a "right-click" function to MPower? For example you right click on a parameter and a drop down menu appears and lets you choose between mod1, mod2, etc and then once you choose one the dialog box for that modulator pops up and it is assigned automatically. That would save a lot of time.

Also on the GUI is says MOD1, but inside the parameters I believe it says LFO1, which is very confusing. Unless I'm mistaken, but aren't they the same thing?

Chandlerhimself wrote:Would it be possible to add a "right-click" function to MPower? For example you right click on a parameter and a drop down menu appears and lets you choose between mod1, mod2, etc and then once you choose one the dialog box for that modulator pops up and it is assigned automatically. That would save a lot of time.
Well, it's the other way around - you right click on a modulator (or using the menu icon), activate learn and then it learns every parameter you touch and it also learns the range you move the parameter.

Chandlerhimself wrote:Also on the GUI is says MOD1, but inside the parameters I believe it says LFO1, which is very confusing. Unless I'm mistaken, but aren't they the same thing?
Ha! Good point!
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

So, it costed me some time and nerves, but I seem to have figured out (roughly) the concept behind the modulation. Nevertheless, the impossibility for key and velocity tracking of the filter frequency of individual voices is a MAJOR limitation, and it makes the creation of polyphonic sounds that are playable over a wide range of the keybord and a wide dynamic range almost impossible. I know, "special synth", but does it have to be THAT special :wink: ?
Anyway, this is the way the internal signal processing works, and I guess this is definitve. But: as the ADSRs are working ona a per voice basis, it might be possible to add key tracking (and velocity tracking) at least of the filter frequency (and maybe F.range) independently from the global modulation. In more detail: is it possible to add key tracking (-100% ... +100%) and maybe velocity tracking (-100% ... +100%) of the most basic filter parameters as additional values ( resp. sliders) to the filter window?
This would be a GREAT addition to the synth, and would overcome the probably most irritating limitiation of the actual design.

Georg

Well, I'll think about it ;). Right now I really don't know.
Vojtech

GeorgK wrote:...the impossibility for key and velocity tracking of the filter frequency of individual voices is a MAJOR limitation, and it makes the creation of polyphonic sounds that are playable over a wide range of the keybord and a wide dynamic range almost impossible.
In more detail: is it possible to add key tracking (-100% ... +100%) and maybe velocity tracking (-100% ... +100%) of the most basic filter parameters as additional values ( resp. sliders) to the filter window?
I have to agree that this is a fundamental requirement of the traditional synth topology you've chosen for MPS. Without it, there's no tool to control harmonic effect of the filters over the entire keyboard range.

But perhaps the right way to "Melda-ize" it is to not only have a degree of effect but also to make the actual tracking a graph to which points can be added allowing the tracking to be shaped through the entire range. Same for velocity.

***I just read in another thread that the 8.05b1 version should have tracking! Thanks!

Yep it's already there ;). FInishing right now, will be available today ;)
Vojtech

Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”