Airwave - yet another WINE VST bridge for Linux (April 12 update)

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

damnage wrote:Hello, I just got Airwave installed on UbuntuStudio 14.04 - just to let anyone who's running 14.04 know, Apt won't recognize "g++multilib" as an install argument, at least it didn't for me. I installed it using a version number in Synaptic after adding an additional PPA (I'd post it, but I'm at work, and I don't remember it offhand). If you open up Synaptic and search "g++" you'll get results for like four or five different versions of it. I installed them all and it all worked. If anyone needs a step-by-step/copy-and-paste explanation of how I got it to work in UbuntuStudio 14.04, I'll be happy to provide it.

Now I've got a totally noob-ish question.

How do I run Airwave in Bitwig Studio?

I'm still learning all this DAW stuff. I'm pretty proficient with LMMS and Ardour, but I'm not coming from the FL Studio/Ableton world, and I'm really behind the curve with Bitwig. There's a paragraph at the end of Airwave's README file devoted to it, but it strikes me as being written as though I should just know this stuff already and I don't.

Is there a command line thing I'm supposed to type in to start it? Does it run from inside Bitwig? Do I copy and paste .dll files into the plugin directory?

Basically, I just want to run a couple of Sonivox plugins in Bitwig. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please, waiting for your help/guide ! :phones:

Edit: well, I downloaded synaptic from the softare center, and downloaded a g++multilib I saw there, it installed three more components.

I got this question: where should I extrac the VST SDK, the instruction says to put it in the "source" whats that? where?

How do I install Airwave after extrating the zip. I do not get the opt/bin/airwave software. Guess because have not installed it, so how?

--Second, the following commands should be executed from the source directory
(substitute your values ​inside of the angle brackets):

mkdir build && cd build

cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<installation prefix> \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Release" \
-DVSTSDK_PATH=<path to VST SDK>
make--

I am lost there!

Help! and thanks!

carlosjcuevasm wrote:I got this question: where should I extrac the VST SDK, the instruction says to put it in the "source" whats that? where?
I think you can try to follow this instruction. But instead of the

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave.git
command in the step 2
use this one

git clone -b develop https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave.git

Edit:

I tried many times this line:
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/airwave -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Release" -DVSTSDK_PATH="../VST3 SDK"

it does not work. I pop out error like x11 missing. So i headed to synaptic and downloaded some libx11 thing. Next i tried the line of code and got another error like some qt4 missing, so installed some qt4 thing from synaptic...and so on.

Would be good to remind that I couldnt installed the g++multilib from the terminal, so I did it from the synaptic. Seems the problem is there.

Really would like some help!

mistake

carlosjcuevasm, try to follow this instruction. It contains all the steps needed to build Airwave on the clean install of the Ubuntu 14.04. If you'll get an error at some step, please, post the output here (or at the pastebin.com, if it is large).

1. Install all required packages:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git cmake gcc-multilib g++multilib libx11-dev libx11-dev:i386 qt4-default libmagic-dev wine1.7 wine1.7-dev
2. Download the VST3 SDK to your home directory. So you should have a zip-file like this:

/home/carlosjcuevasm/vstsdk360_22_11_2013_build_100.zip
3. Build the Airwave:

cd airwave
unzip ~/vstsdk360_22_11_2013_build_100.zip -d .
mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/airwave -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Release" -DVSTSDK_PATH="../VST3 SDK"
make
sudo make install

Hello phantom-one!

Thank you so much for your work, it's working really well. I'm running plugins from IK and Voxengo on my Arch Linux.
Sometimes when I use have many instances of these plugins, I get a lot of xruns.

My question is, do you think it would benefit the plugin performance if I'm running wine-rt from AUR instead of the standard wine?

sawtdk, some VSTs consumes a lot of cpu under the Airwave (u-he Diva, Sonic Academy ANA for example). I think at least you can try it and compare the results. But when you use non-vanilla wine, be aware of the patches. Some of them can lead to unpredictable results. The wineX11drv_revert_177_XEmbed_changes_NO_vst_flicker.patch for example (from the aur/wine-l-pa package) disables xebmed in wine.

~$ sudo apt-get install git cmake gcc-multilib g++multilib libx11-dev libx11-dev:i386 qt4-default libmagic-dev wine1.7 wine1.7-dev
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
E: No se ha podido localizar el paquete g++multilib
E: No se pudo encontrar ningún paquete con la expresión regular «g++multilib»
cazue@CVS-desktop:~$

Traduced:

Reading packages list. Done
Creating dependancy tree
Reading state info. Done
E: Cant find g++multilib
E: Cant find no package with expression g++multilib

What I did was to download synaptic. Type g++ and I downloaded one g++ thing htere, wich install itself with other dependancies.

I continued instructions.

cd airwave
mkdir build
cd build

Done.

Error happens !

Gonna post the whole process.

~/airwave/build$ cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/airwave -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Release" -DVSTSDK_PATH="../VST3 SDK"
3-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.8.2
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.8.2
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- VSTSDK_PATH is set to /home/cazue/airwave/VST3 SDK
-- VST SDK headers are found in /home/cazue/airwave/VST3 SDK/pluginterfaces/vst2.x
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE
-- Found LibDL: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so
-- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so
-- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so - found
-- Looking for gethostbyname
-- Looking for gethostbyname - found
-- Looking for connect
-- Looking for connect - found
-- Looking for remove
-- Looking for remove - found
-- Looking for shmat
-- Looking for shmat - found
-- Looking for IceConnectionNumber in ICE
-- Looking for IceConnectionNumber in ICE - found
-- Found X11: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11 - found
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN - not found
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found
-- Found Qt4: /usr/bin/qmake (found version "4.8.6")
-- libmagic version: 5.14
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
Could NOT find LibMagic (missing: LIBMAGIC_LIBRARY LIBMAGIC_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
FindLibMagic.cmake:61 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
utility/CMakeLists.txt:8 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/cazue/airwave/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/cazue/airwave/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
cazue@CVS-desktop:~/airwave/build$

:S.

WHat coyuld it be? I am guessing is something with the g++multilib. I was looking around for solutions so, I entered synaptic and started downloading all missing files the process what making. So I downloaded som qx11 thing with install iself wqith a bunch of other things.Then some qt4 thing wich install itself with other things and I stop there ( that was yesterday, not today.Today I just did all the process as I stated here).

Please continue helping me out and thanks a lot!

It seems that you didn't install libmagic-dev

Thanks for reply!

I went to the Software senter and installed libmagic-dev

worked.

make

I got an error

-desktop:~/airwave/build$ make
[ 1%] Building CXX object host/CMakeFiles/airwave-host-32.dir/__/common/dataport.cpp.o
In file included from /home/cazue/airwave/common/types.h:4:0,
from /home/cazue/airwave/common/dataport.h:5,
from /home/cazue/airwave/common/dataport.cpp:1:
/usr/include/c++/4.8/cstddef:41:28: fatal error: bits/c++config.h: No existe el archivo o el directorio
#include <bits/c++config.h>
^
compilation terminated.
winegcc: g++ failed
make[2]: *** [host/CMakeFiles/airwave-host-32.dir/__/common/dataport.cpp.o] Error 2
make[1]: *** [host/CMakeFiles/airwave-host-32.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

As to remind, I installed the g++ from synaptic, as I cant run

sudo apt-get install git cmake gcc-multilib g++multilib libx11-dev libx11-dev:i386 qt4-default libmagic-dev wine1.7 wine1.7-dev

That lanuchesd me an error saying g++multilib can not be found. Thats why I installed it through synaptic. Typing g++ brings me a package in synaptic wich is named exactly the same.

So I can not run the make line, or the sudo make install line.

Lookign foward for the help, and again, thanks!

I don't know what you have installed through Synaptic, but it's definitely not the g++multilib. Please try to find a way to install g++multilib. For example, you can ask for help on #ubuntu channel at freenode. Also, maybe package was renamed, I found the g++-4.8-multilib via google, so you can try

sudo apt-get install g++-4.8-multilib

phantom-one wrote:carlosjcuevasm, try to follow this instruction. It contains all the steps needed to build Airwave on the clean install of the Ubuntu 14.04. If you'll get an error at some step, please, post the output here (or at the pastebin.com, if it is large).

1. Install all required packages:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
2. Download the VST3 SDK to your home directory. So you should have a zip-file like this:

/home/carlosjcuevasm/vstsdk360_22_11_2013_build_100.zip
3. Build the Airwave:

cd airwave
mkdir build
cd build
make
sudo make install
SOLVED. :party:

The third line of the first step, the g++multilib, does not exist, as it should be g++-multilib, you know that but seems you typed it incorrectly . After that, I ran the whole thing again and it worked like a charm. So, I would strongly suggest you to change it to the correct way. It is not well typed nither on the first post, so go correct it!

Thanks a lot for helping me, reallyNext I am watching the video you uploaded and try to run my vsts. Awesome! :clap:

Edit: Anyone else having issues with save-plugin states/crashes?

Initial post fixed, thanks for notifying.

carlosjcuevasm wrote:Edit: Anyone else having issues with save-plugin states/crashes?
Some plugins can crash after the change of some parameter through GUI, it's a known issue.

phantom-one wrote:
carlosjcuevasm wrote:Edit: Anyone else having issues with save-plugin states/crashes?
Some plugins can crash after the change of some parameter through GUI, it's a known issue.
I notice in the ticket that it says Spire (demo). I was attempting to run a licensed (to me) copy which crashed on attempting to do a preset change in the Gui so it's likely not just a problem with the demo.

hope you manage to find out what the problem is phantom-one :)

Return to “Bitwig”