LAST CHANCE! Poly-Ana and L'il Poly-Ana 1.20 BETA w. OSX x64 AU support!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheoM wrote:had a crash after 5 minutes scrolling presets in cubase. Occasionally i would pick one from the drop down list, occasionally with the arrows. After a time it just locked up when choosing a preset and bombed. The crash report is somewhere but i can't re test in cubase now as I have sold cubase and it is gone. However if the repot is useful will send it, and see if it happens in logic.
I wonder if it has to do with the number of parameters. I have another synth that also has lots of parameters and it also feels very heavy and slow when switching patches...

fluffy_little_something wrote:
TheoM wrote:had a crash after 5 minutes scrolling presets in cubase. Occasionally i would pick one from the drop down list, occasionally with the arrows. After a time it just locked up when choosing a preset and bombed. The crash report is somewhere but i can't re test in cubase now as I have sold cubase and it is gone. However if the repot is useful will send it, and see if it happens in logic.
I wonder if it has to do with the number of parameters. I have another synth that also has lots of parameters and it also feels very heavy and slow when switching patches...
Being that it's a vintage analog style, it really doesn't have that many parameters as far as synths go. All parameters are visible on one page! (which is great). It's a nice balance of parameters and functionality. Still entirely mappable and usable from hardware like Novation SL. Many synth plug-ins have far more parameters.

well i was certainly wrong about the RE... that would have been an exercise in futility.. either that or the forum there is simply full of trolls. Hardly a word said about Poly ana, and some other "sounds like every other synth on the market" became the focal point. And no matter how hard i tried, the trolls persisted to talk about that instead, and the only person that had anything nice to say about poly ana's sound complained about it's gui, and there was no constructive discussion or even acknowledgement of the fact that as an Re the gui would have to be different, flatter, and more legible.

Sorry Admiral Quality, i guess you were right. Their loss, as i will have a weapon to make my reason tracks sound warm and analog by using it as a vsti in a midi host, which otherwise there is no way of doing at present in reason. Although some nice chap decided to key my car, rip the rubber around the window frame, and the metal strip around it has been keyed too, so right now I can't spend a cent as i need to fix that. Life sucks. People can be real nasty to destroy someone else's property whom they don't even know.

So i guess i will miss out on the presale, but just to confirm, how long in weeks is there left to go to get it at the half price? I will try my best not to miss it.

TheoM wrote:well i was certainly wrong about the RE... that would have been an exercise in futility.. either that or the forum there is simply full of trolls. Hardly a word said about Poly ana
Trolls are an unfortunate part of the online fauna, so their existence is always expected on radical subjects, like your "best virtual synth i have ever heard" thread.
(which, btw, I agree with eXode's point, saying that such title wasn't objective enough to discuss a specific synth).

You started already with a slightly "radical" view on the matter and that attracts trolls. Then, the passionate/aggressive (not rude) way you usually present/defend your views attracts even more trolls, mixed with others naturally trying to defend their points too in a moderate way.

Anyway, what I think made silence or give up discussing the interest in Poly-Ana as a RE from the moderate opinion crowd (the ones worth discussing with) leaving only the trolls behind was AdmiralQuality's own attitude towards the RE SDK and the format when replying to you here.

That, I think, made a lot of possibly interested Reason users turn their backs on this possibility and move on.

Can't blame'em, TBH.

Edit: Oh, and if I understood this little comment right, I would actually love AdmiralQuality to be tempted... maybe 20.000EUR would help his financial issues.
AdmiralQuality wrote:
TheoM wrote:Unlike VST, RE can not be hacked
Don't tempt me. ;)
Last edited by Koshdukai on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

anyway, back to topic:

Is this the expected place to do bug reporting on 1.20 or is there a proper way to do it?

Edit: oh ok, we're supposed to report here, so I did well.
AdmiralQuality wrote:Let's use this thread to discuss the BETA changes and post any bug reports.

is it ok though to ask when the intro pricing ends? I am desperately trying to scramble the funds. After selling some stuff and being happy, my deductible is $850, kind souls that they are, so i am pretty depressed right now... do you think the intro price will sill be there in october?

@koshdukai, thanks for a very fair, well thought out and excellent post. Wish i did that more often. Cheers :)

eXode wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:Sorry. They simply don't exist to me, same as their forum doesn't exist. I have serious issues with the proprietary thing. If they want to pay me in advance to make a synth for their proprietary platform, then sure, we can talk. But I'm fine with them disappearing up their own assholes, as they seem to want to.
This kind of comment is very unprofessional. If you don't have the time, or don't like their business format, fine. I can respect that. But take in consideration that many Reason users use other DAW's as well, and those users might very well buy VSTi's. This kind of statment might make a potential customer think twice about buying your product. It also kind of goes against your previous "character" statement.

Regardless of your stance on Reason and the propellerheads businessmodel, a statement about them "disappearing up their own assholes" is just unnecessary imho.
Very true eXode, This guy's statement turned me off. Pretty unprofessional if you ask me. I also use Logic & I'm less likely to drop money on this now. Still will demo it though!

GregHPSon wrote:
eXode wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:Sorry. They simply don't exist to me, same as their forum doesn't exist. I have serious issues with the proprietary thing. If they want to pay me in advance to make a synth for their proprietary platform, then sure, we can talk. But I'm fine with them disappearing up their own assholes, as they seem to want to.
This kind of comment is very unprofessional. If you don't have the time, or don't like their business format, fine. I can respect that. But take in consideration that many Reason users use other DAW's as well, and those users might very well buy VSTi's. This kind of statment might make a potential customer think twice about buying your product. It also kind of goes against your previous "character" statement.

Regardless of your stance on Reason and the propellerheads businessmodel, a statement about them "disappearing up their own assholes" is just unnecessary imho.
Very true eXode, This guy's statement turned me off. Pretty unprofessional if you ask me. I also use Logic & I'm less likely to drop money on this now. Still will demo it though!

don't deny yourself an *incredible* synth because of this. No one is perfect. I really regret even suggesting it now. My heart was in the right place but here things seem to backfire on me all the time no matter the intention.

Do demo it Greg, there are very few synths that can hit you in the "gut" like this. Cheers and hope you like it.

wow i just have to keep praising this synth.. i was so swept away by the keys and pads that i didn't even play much with the bass section till today.. this is the first VA that has actually impressed me enough with it's bottom end to actually say "it's phat" without feeling like a dick for saying it.

I noticed i also only have 128 presets in the demo so ONE last question....

i guess i have no choice i can't miss this....

are the rest of the presets as awesome as the default 128,

AND.... has anyone made any 3rd party banks for this puppy?

I am hoping in one fell swoop PA can replace ALL my analog needs - then gladiator for digital /tarnce, sauras for inbetween, sampletank 3 and kontakt. Done... won't ever need anything else..

(i will be honest though, the only thing i don't like even with the max oversample is the aliasing with high notes, but i don't think i will use polyana in those octave ranges anyway - but yeah.. wondering if this is a demo limitation perhaps? It kind of aliases like ANA which surprised me a bit)

Poly-Ana 1.20 BETA 3 is up! Fixes some glaring omissions on OSX, and better program and file handling on both Windows and OSX.

http://www.admiralquality.com/products/Poly-Ana/

1.20 BETA 3 2014-09-30

- OSX: Fixed patch and program load/save buttons not working. (On OSX, now enforces .pap and .pab filename extensions on PolyAna program and bank files. Note that you may need to rename your existing program and bank files to include these extensions in order to load them.)

- OSX: Fixed missing two-position toggle controls!

- Program and MIDI-Map save now defaults filename to program name.

- Program names are now prevented from having illegal filename characters.

- Fixes to program and bank save and recall.

- Fixed program name list overflowing on successive bank loading.

http://www.admiralquality.com/products/Poly-Ana/

Interesting, judging from the change log, 2014 has seen a regular restart of Poly-Ana, after a 3-year hiatus :)

Your screenshot below is version 1.12. I assume nothing has changed on the outside, right?

I like the idea of putting that huge source wheel everywhere (although the wheel itself is not so pretty), it is basically another way of making the whole thing pretty modular. Makes me wonder, is there a limiter to prevent volume "explosions" that might happen when dialing in the wrong source? With cables on modular synths that can end pretty bad :D

Since I can't read what it says on the source wheels, is there a velocity option?

I think once you do the GUI overhaul, you should switch to sliders instead of knobs for the envelope controls as most synth people see from the slider curve at one glance where they need to change something. With knobs that is not really the case.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Interesting, judging from the change log, 2014 has seen a regular restart of Poly-Ana, after a 3-year hiatus :)
I don't know what a "regular restart" is. And there's been no hiatus, I've been working on it the whole time. (The issue was having to almost completely re-write the user interface code to support x64 on OSX.)

Your screenshot below is version 1.12. I assume nothing has changed on the outside, right?
Nothing major, Detective. (If you want to see exactly what it looks like, run it.)

I like the idea of putting that huge source wheel everywhere (although the wheel itself is not so pretty), it is basically another way of making the whole thing pretty modular. Makes me wonder, is there a limiter to prevent volume "explosions" that might happen when dialing in the wrong source? With cables on modular synths that can end pretty bad :D
Note that those dials can be changed to dropdown list menus, if you want. (Click the product name to bring up the Options.)

Semi-modular is probably the best term. Any place that can accept a modulation input can do so from any of the 18 modulation sources. And the two mod-mixers make combinations of any of those modulators possible as well.

Since I can't read what it says on the source wheels, is there a velocity option?
Of course. Modulation source "VELO".

I think once you do the GUI overhaul, you should switch to sliders instead of knobs for the envelope controls as most synth people see from the slider curve at one glance where they need to change something. With knobs that is not really the case.
Sliders don't provide the degree of accuracy of knobs and take up too much screen real-estate. Also, you're forgetting about the biggest synths of the day, the Prophets, Mini-Moogs and Oberheims. All of which had circular envelope knobs.

Anyway, no plans to re-do the GUI any time soon. We'll be finishing this Beta and getting a few new products out before work on Poly-Ana 2.x starts.

Doh! It would seem the OSX bank (*.pab) load and save still isn't working right. I'm sure it's just a typo that snuck in there, as the program (*.pap) save/load is working. Will get fixed right away.

Also aware of the double ".pap.pap" extension being added by the Program Save on OSX. Don't worry, that won't hurt anything, but will figure out what's causing that as well.

Could have sworn I tested this stuff before the release! Oh well, we're progressing in the right direction anyway...

Should have those fixes out very soon. Still well worth getting Beta 3 right now though as there's important changes to program and project save and restore handling, internally.

I was about to install Beta2 to check the load issue but it's already done!
I'll wait for the fix...but in the meantime I can still enjoy the awesome sound of PA :-)

ftech wrote:I was about to install Beta2 to check the load issue but it's already done!
I'll wait for the fix...but in the meantime I can still enjoy the awesome sound of PA :-)
Latest is always greatest! Even without the coming fix (which is turning out to be crazy -- I've got it working now but it's still making the double extensions and, for reasons I can't yet imagine, only showing *some* files where others with the exact same extension are greyed out) there is other fixed stuff in Beta 3 you'll want.

Should have that new fix out in the next day or two, even if I have to make an ugly kludge. (I can remove the extra extensions programmatically. It's the why are some greyed out mystery that's currently killing me. Macs... they're like a box of chocolates!)

Return to “Instruments”