Questions regarding sounddesigning for Diginoiz and Camel Audio

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been reaching out to more sounddesign companies, and these both liked my demo of my skills.

As for Diginoiz:
They told me they buy the packs from sounddesigner, rather than paying royalty for each sale (which is the more common method to my experience).
They asked me how much I'd charge for a Massive presetbank consisting of 64 presets, and how much I charge for one made of 128 presets.
Since this is the first time I've encountered this payment strategy, I have no idea what to charge for those 2 sizes of presetbanks.
What should I charge?
Are there anyone here working for them? How much do you charge for your packs?

As for Camel Audio:
Camel Audio have a certain type of strategy when a new project is initiated, those who have worked for them or are working for them will be able to relate.
My question is to you who can relate: Is their strategy as profitable for a sounddesigner, as the more usual strategy with royalty payment for each sale (let's say 50 %)?

Anyone?

In my experience as a freelance sound designer, very few companies pay royalties for presets, and payment per preset is much, much more common, and I've never heard of royalties being paid for factory libraries or libraries compiled from multiple sound designers. The exception is signature libraries, and these are usually reserved for established sound designers with a proven track record.
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

oops - dbl post
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

I agree with biomechanoid - I've had both presets and signature libraries published by various companies, and it is indeed far more likely to be offered a flat lump sum per preset in my experience, although royalty-based agreements may be possible for special projects when you are better known.

If you're asked to come up with a lump sum figure for a preset bank, just work out on average how long each preset takes, multiply that by the number of presets, multiply again by the amount you aim to earn per hour, and then make that the starting price in any negotiations.

Martin

Return to “Sound Design”