Which brickwall mastering limiter?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Limiter No6 Maxwell Smart Neo DynaMaster Vintage Neo MasterTool Pro-L 2 PSP Xenon

lesha wrote:...All in all, I am very satisfied by Maxwell, it really is a gem that needs no polishing (except for the better looking GUI :) )
Thx for the graphs. And I recommend Maxwell as well. Absolutely transparent. Was a big fan of his small freebie already but this one is really nice. I like the pretty short lookahead (10ms) and the small footprint on the CPU (2%) on my old rig.

Cheers
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

If you do not want to destroy the imaging and sound field of the original mix, you should consider to try these
http://www.supremepiano.com/product/neodyna.html
This is an all purposed dynamic processor which features several limiter/Maximizer types

shane1980 wrote:If you do not want to destroy the imaging and sound field of the original mix, you should consider to try these
http://www.supremepiano.com/product/neodyna.html
This is an all purposed dynamic processor which features several limiter/Maximizer types
The graph on your site is misleading, -125.3dB THD+N is a result of the bypassed Neo Dynamaster.
Please correct that.

Also, I couldn't use it at all as a brickwall limiter, so it does not belong to this topic.
It's easy if you know how

Hi lesha,

Thanks for taking the time to explain and post the graphs. I'll have to check this one later later.

Cheers,

AC

Those graphs are interesting. I suspected the AOM was coloring the signal a bit, since it seems to impart a kind of punch and heft to rock mixes that I couldn't match with other limiters. Maybe not the best choice for genres where transparency is of ultimate importance -- jazz, orchestral, etc. -- but if you're into the heavier stuff, I still think the AOM is tops.
:band2:

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

Eddie TX wrote:Those graphs are interesting. I suspected the AOM was coloring the signal a bit, since it seems to impart a kind of punch and heft to rock mixes that I couldn't match with other limiters. Maybe not the best choice for genres where transparency is of ultimate importance -- jazz, orchestral, etc. -- but if you're into the heavier stuff, I still think the AOM is tops.
:band2:

Cheers,
Eddie
Ha. Eddie, you are the best. Yeah, I can see AOM coloring a bit. But maybe whatever voodoo it's doing or harmonics it is creating helps keep the transients sharp on the snares even on the master bus? Tried installing Maxwell Smart. Doesn't seem to scan in Samplitude 11.5 pro so I can't even try it. Oh well. Pleased with AOM anyways!

AC222 wrote:Hi lesha,

Thanks for taking the time to explain and post the graphs. I'll have to check this one later later.

Cheers,

AC
You're welcome. I hope you will be able to check out Maxwell when it goes public, I will update this topic when that happens.

Eddie TX wrote:Another new limiter, this one by HOFA, will be released at the end of this month, according to the website: http://hofa-plugins.de/pages/start_en/h ... ter-en.php. If the quality of their other plugins is anything to go by, this could be a real contender. :)
The HOFA limiter is out ... link is above. Free 14-day demo.

I've tried it on one song so far. Just a preliminary impression: I think I like it. REALLY like it! :D

Cheers,
Eddie

Eddie TX wrote:The HOFA limiter is out ... link is above. Free 14-day demo.

I've tried it on one song so far. Just a preliminary impression: I think I like it. REALLY like it! :D

Cheers,
Eddie
I have tried it and didn't like it at all, it distorts like crazy, the only usable mode is Slow which isn't clean at all.

Distortion (MED mode) compared to Maxwell (red)

Harmonic distortion (MED mode) compared to Maxwell (red)

CPU usage is pretty terrible IMO:
Fast - 20.5 %
Med - 10.8 %
Slow - 24.6 %

If you want clean limiting, then HOFA IQ-Limiter is probably not for you.

After some more testing, I'm finding the HOFA limiter suits certain material pretty well -- it seems to impart a sense of clarity that helps out dark or muddy mixes. This may be due to its particular saturation characteristics. It's subtle, but comparing it with something like the AOM limiter makes the difference apparent.

However, the HOFA has not replaced the AOM as king of the rock mix in my book -- while the HOFA is pretty good, I haven't yet been able to get it to match the AOM for punch or beef (what's that, a buffet?). However, as noted previously, neither of these may be the best for quieter genres where transparency is paramount.

One thing the HOFA has going for it is ease of use -- the controls consist of one gain knob and a 3-position character switch. It does all the rest for you.

I didn't find CPU usage to be very high. About in line with comparable tools, and certainly less than the AOM in its oversampling modes.

Worth a demo, I'd say, just to see if it suits your material. :tu:

Cheers,
Eddie

I have been testing PSP Xenon and this thing is a beauty. From completely clean to dirty, it's CPU friendly, has autogain, transient control...

Currently $69 instead of $249, deal ends October 3, so hurry and get it.
It costs even less at JRR.
http://www.jrrshop.com/psp-xenon

I can't afford it right now, but if I could I think I would still prefer Maxwell.
Last edited by Lesha on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

I really should look into this. But lately, I've been slacking on my "a/b" ing so I'll prolly miss out :shrug:

I agree with Lesha, a very good limiter, sounds great, easy to use, good price, i bought it after 10 min testing.

Tested Xenon little further, I must say that I prefer it to Maxwell regarding transient preservation.
This thing can take a beating!

But, nothing beats Pro-L in punchy mode when you want to preserve transients.

If anyone has missed the opportunity, you still have a chance.

Return to “Effects”