How to know if I need a 61-note midi keyboard?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think I fall in love with the new KOMPLETE KONTROL keyboard and may buy it.

However, there are two versions that make me confused: 49-note and 61-note.

I’m using a 49-note midi keyboard as it fits best the space in my room.

How important is it to have a 61-note keyboard?

My sincere thanks,

How often do you hit the Transpose button?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

fantasyvn wrote:How important is it to have a 61-note keyboard?
If you gonna do a lot of virtuoso playing, or if you for example during live performances need to trigger a lot of samples, 61 keys is good.

For studio use, using it for input into a DAW, I would think 49 keys is enough

If you suddenly start playing the desk, you might need more keys.

Numanoid wrote:....For studio use, using it for input into a DAW, I would think 49 keys is enough

Every once in a great while I wish my Axiom Pro 49 was a 61 banger.

Not too often though TBH.

I agree, mostly, with Numanoid. 49 keys will get you by nicely in the studio.

If you're doing live work though and you don't mind lugging around the 61 key board I think you will appreciate it more.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

tehlord wrote:If you suddenly start playing the desk, you might need more keys.
That sorta resembles a Jeff Foxworthy joke :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

cryophonik wrote:How often do you hit the Transpose button?
great answer... because it all starts here!!!

I'm primairily a pianist and I use 1 of my 2 61 key masterkeyboards behind my workstation as I prefer being able to play low regions of the keyboard for bass layering alongside playing the melody in the higher regions. For me this saves time since as opposed to recording two tracks I can split the keyboard into two sounds -and since I'm a good pianist I can play the 2 parts simultaneously.

For more complex piano pieces I reside to my fullsize electric piano but that's away from my workstation and I have to use my iPad to arm/record tracks.

Yet I am seriously considering a 49 key or even less key keyboard since 61 keys on my particular workspace takes up quite some space which can be annoying, especially when I'm in the mixing stage.

So.. some food for thought ;)
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Maybe a Korg Microkey would fit on your desk and you'd still have 61 keys. I have one and like it a lot, the keys are bigger than average size mini keys and have a nice feel.
Always look on the bright side of life

NightofNi wrote:Maybe a Korg Microkey would fit on your desk and you'd still have 61 keys. I have one and like it a lot, the keys are bigger than average size mini keys and have a nice feel.
Great bang for the buck (if only for the Korg Legacy collection that comes with it). In this light I feel the OP's prefs for the Komplete keyboard is way too expensive. The ribbon controllers are nice and I suppose the integration with NI products is seemless but then again ANY MIDI-controller can be mapped so...

Also forgot to mention the size of the keys is REALLY important if you're a 'true' pianist. Some more complex pieces for me are unplayable on smaller and unweighted keys.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

My take is, if you have room for the 61 keys, go for it and don't worry.

Having just set up my first home studio, I found its really hard to fit computer, computer keyboard, mouse, and MIDI keyboard so that everything is in easy reach and doesn't push each other out of the way.
In the end, I got a 49 key for this reason. No regrets, transpose can handle the rare times I need more keys.
Last edited by Synchanter on Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

@ fantasyvn - stick to a 49-key keyboard, if nothing else the 61-key keyboard won't fit your room.

However, the real issue is how wide can you span your hands?
If someone can extend their little pinkie-to-little pinkie gap more than 3 octaves, they are a freak and should be locked up in a cage.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”