when your face.

In some ways it already has... Most software lifecycles go like this:

v1.0 : shows promise, but light on features
v2.0 : pretty good
v3.0 : peak
v4.0 : bloat, unfixable bugs as a by-product of extreme code complexity
v5.0 : mega-bloat, nothing much of value that v3.0 didn't already have
v6.0 : ...

We all like Bitwig and Studio One because they are pre-v3.0 software, give it a few years and they'll become everything we hate about Ableton and Cubase :D

This is the proprietary software model doing what it's always done; Most people don't want to rent their software by paying a subscription, so developers are forced to add something/anything to justify an upgrade fee, which leads to endless cycles of bloating out their software...

daw development was dead as soon as bitwig let us all down :hihi:

I never had the faintest interest in Bitwig.

jeffh wrote:In some ways it already has... Most software lifecycles go like this:

v1.0 : shows promise, but light on features
v2.0 : pretty good
v3.0 : peak
v4.0 : bloat, unfixable bugs as a by-product of extreme code complexity
v5.0 : mega-bloat, nothing much of value that v3.0 didn't already have
v6.0 : ...
Excelsior!

Acid followed this lifeline to a T. Cubase followed this to a T the first time and then was exceptional right out the gate with its rebirth as SX. I actually think Steinberg did a good job progressing from SX to 6.5 but I've decided to stop upgrading beyond that. I didn't like Pro Tools, Logic, or Reason until these last several versions. If we're lucky, Presonus will recognize that they've pretty much gotten it right with the current version of Studio One and won't make us upgrade to drastically different versions.

Never ends as long as someone can make a buck by causing someone to upgrade/update. Will never end as long as some lazy twit will ask for yet one more basically useless and idiotic feature request.

MarlaPodolski wrote:Never ends as long as someone can make a buck by causing someone to upgrade/update. Will never end as long as some lazy twit will ask for yet one more basically useless and idiotic feature request.
It's not just feature requests, though. The DAW's need to be updated for new OS's, such as the forthcoming Windows 9 and most Mac OS's.

I think if you look at the most recent version of any daw you will find at least some things that are real improvements, even though there probably is truth to that peak-bloat lifestyle that's been outlined. There are still things being figured out that improve the user experience, for example browsers are getting a lot of attention these days, some browsers are going metadata based. Bitwig has controller scripts that let you do whatever you want with your controllers which afaik is pretty new. Controllers I think have a lot of room to improve and you will see tighter integration with daws and maybe more flexible controllers themselves like keyboards with touchscreens integrated so it's kind of like a workstation but still with the power of your daw. Touch is going to be huge I think, as soon as tablets are powerful enough we are going to see a big stress on touch interfaces; some new daws will be designed just for touch, but even for the older daws it will be important to have a decent touch version of the interface available if you want artists to use it instead of just producers.

So I would say on the whole the industry is maturing but there is still stuff to add. Now people seem to be converging on what works for the most part though and we might not have leaps forward like Live coming out in the day of linear daws but instead incremental refinement. There also might be a rise in specialty daws that are made to suit a specific workflow like Machine.

DAWs should be modular.

You pay for a core, lean, usable product and then add new stuff as and when you need it.

The core product should be left alone unless it's for new OS/formats.

tehlord wrote:DAWs should be modular.
The next big Bitwig update is supposed to make it literally modular. I might be wrong but I think it's the leanest full DAW currently available.

I think he's talking about a different kind of modularity. The modular feature in Bitwig is a visual programming environment for Bitwig devices I think and maybe freely rout-able signal flow to go along with it. So basically it's a feature of the daw. What he seems to be talking about is buying a daw with only the most basic features and then paying extra for the extra features if you want them.

You pay for a core, lean, usable product and then add new stuff as and when you need it.

It's pretty much that way now with many of the big names. Most offer at least three versions; core to full artist.

The down side to this model is the economy of the purchase. It's going to cost you more in the long run to start with the core module and build up to the full product. Although this isn't always true given the number of "sales" we constantly see. A savvy buyer could do well over the long haul.

A newbie doesn't really know what they need and most are caught up in that gotta have it now trap.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I'm using a DAW called "GAW" (Google Audio Workstation) :hihi:

Seriously there are some pretty interesting Chrome Extensions regarding audio but i think it will take forever for them to be on a professional level.
It's a matter of coding skills. :wink:
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Ogopogo wrote:I think he's talking about a different kind of modularity. The modular feature in Bitwig is a visual programming environment for Bitwig devices I think and maybe freely rout-able signal flow to go along with it. So basically it's a feature of the daw. What he seems to be talking about is buying a daw with only the most basic features and then paying extra for the extra features if you want them.
That's how I understood the plan too. Like the Max for Live modular.

Hope that's what they meant :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:

It's pretty much that way now with many of the big names. Most offer at least three versions; core to full artist.
That is not the same thing. There are things in Cubase full I have to have, there is no optional to it.

There are whole areas I will never touch, but some of the limitations below full are impossible for me.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”