Sound of the 80s

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

jacqueslacouth wrote:I'm seriously stumped at all the love constantly bandied around here for the old Casio synths. My CZ1000 tends to flop around on the floor like the tinny turd it is!
Because it takes all kinds to make a world. We are all different. Some like the football and hate the handball, for others it is the contrary. Some like westerns, others like sci-fi, others like adventures, others like thrillers, others like TV series, others like documentaries...

And when one doesn't like a genre... others like it. That's all. Even genres which are considered as tinny turd for someone can be enthralling gems for others. And it is the same for synths (or even for a brand), like for everything.
:party:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:
cornutt wrote:I think it could be done by a sufficiently clever programmer. As a starting point, you could use a Karplus-Strong physical model to generate the plucked string waveform. From what I recall of the schematics, there isn't anything particularly obscure about how the GR-300 processed the waveforms. And a good emulation could overcome some of the limitations of the GR-300, such as its inability to have a filter track the pitch since the voice didn't actually know what pitch it was playing.
So it could be probably approached in some tools like Image-Line Sakura or AAS String-Studio for example? And perhaps some xoxos tools...
:)
Yes, quite possibly. I don't have any of those myself... might have to try hacking something up in Csound, though.

BlackWinny wrote:I've heard (I don't affirm having never bought neither the former nor the latter) that the components of the filters in the HT-3000 were totally different than in the HT-700, not only the keyboard size. So there was a deep difference in the results, the HT-3000 having much more "presence" than the HT-700 for the same presets in a comparison A/B.

Anybody (and you Beltrom) could confirm?
Well, I know there's mods around that works for both the HT700 and HT3000 filter. So they can't be that different, at least it's the same NJM2090 IC. I actually had a HT700 for a few weeks before trading in for the HT3000 disturbed by the small keys (salesman grinning: "What did I tell you"). I didn't notice any sound difference and imagine I would have as I expected them to be the same. But can't be sure.

http://synthark.com/synthesizer-museum/ ... re/filter/

beltrom wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:I've heard (I don't affirm having never bought neither the former nor the latter) that the components of the filters in the HT-3000 were totally different than in the HT-700, not only the keyboard size. So there was a deep difference in the results, the HT-3000 having much more "presence" than the HT-700 for the same presets in a comparison A/B.

Anybody (and you Beltrom) could confirm?
Well, I know there's mods around that works for both the HT700 and HT3000 filter. So they can't be that different, at least it's the same NJM2090 IC. I actually had a HT700 for a few weeks before trading in for the HT3000 disturbed by the small keys (salesman grinning: "What did I tell you"). I didn't notice any sound difference and imagine I would have as I expected them to be the same. But can't be sure.

http://synthark.com/synthesizer-museum/ ... re/filter/
Ok, so I'm gonna follow your opinion that I certainly can without any hesitation add that Plastique (number 62 here) is an emulation of the HT-3000 as well as of the HT-700... I don't know them at all but I think it can be useful to add that information for people searching on the character string "ht-3000".
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

AlesisVi61 wrote:I myself,have never approached the forum in that manner
that's pretty much the only way i approach kvr, these days. i tend to log on more times, for less duration. this just gets me into the action much quicker :ud:

usually works out ok, present thread excepted :oops:

BlackWinny wrote:Don't worry el-bo, the essential is that threads like this one are places for kind exchanges of ideas. Happily... we don't have to stay compulsorily in categories of subjects
oh, i am not worried (been here too long for that)..just made me laugh that i could have dropped quite a monumental post (embedded videos and such like) without even bothering to check. got brought back to the thread via email notification to find people talking about synths....of all things :hihi: :hihi:

AlesisVi61 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:It seems to me,that if this thread's theme was about the genre itself,rather than about synths
The 80s is a decade for which it seems to me quite impossible to talk about the synths of that era without sometimes talking about the music of that era... and the inverse.
:)

Anyway, whatever the era.

I can't imagine cook-chefs talking about their tools, ovens, etc. without talking as well of their recipes which use these tools, ovens, etc.

Subdivisions in forums are made to help the users to classify new topics, but it never forbids to talk in very enthralling ways about other things as long as the subject is never totally lost.

BlackWinny wrote: Ok, so I'm gonna follow your opinion that I certainly can without any hesitation add that Plastique (number 62 here) is an emulation of the HT-3000 as well as of the HT-700... I don't know them at all but I think it can be useful to add that information for people searching on the character string "ht-3000".
:tu:
Well, I haven't really done an A/B of plastique with either (I might do it next weekend if I get the time). It's certainly inspired by the HT700 and reminded me of the HT3000 in sound back when I casually tried it, but that doesn't really say much as you know. I'm not even sure de la Mancha ever claimed it was a real emulation. I think he used "based on" or something like that and only said the waveforms came from the HT700. That's why I didn't flat out claim it was an emulation in the first post.

I do believe HT700/HT3000 should sound very similar (or even identical) from what I've read and remember. But I'd be happy to change my mind if new facts surface, and they might.

Some other good emulations... :-)

http://www.manxsynthesizers.com/

Turello wrote:Some other good emulations... :-)

http://www.manxsynthesizers.com/
With that developer I get the impression that he makes feature emulations, not so much sound emulations, for which he probably lacks the know-how.
At least he has reduced his formerly exaggerated prices for what are probably SE synths.

fluffy_little_something wrote: With that developer I get the impression that he makes feature emulations, not so much sound emulations, for which he probably lacks the know-how.
At least he has reduced his formerly exaggerated prices for what are probably SE synths.
He also is quite good at 'emulating' low budget print ads from the 80s as well :lol:

Two words: Rick Astley. :hihi:

I could add a third, but it wouldn't sound as nice. :lol:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Hi,

The PPG WaveGenerator is the first synth I've heard that reminds me of DM from ca 1989 (which is not so strange since DM used the PPG Wave synths, as mentioned here before). Really worth looking at if you're into this genre. http://wolfgangpalm.com/wg.html

Happy New Year!

/SparkySpark
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

@Black Winny: "Poly 2016" by Synthescience [Best FREE Emulation of Juno 106] deserves to be on your list! :hihi: :roll:

Gabriel_West wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:56 pm @Black Winny: "Poly 2016" by Synthescience [Best FREE Emulation of Juno 106] deserves to be on your list! :hihi: :roll:
Done!
:wink:
Thank you Gabriel !

And at the same time I have also added Prodigious, from Synthescience too. Prodigious which is inspired by the Moog Prodigy.
:D

Return to “Instruments”