Anyone here have this bug ?!

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey i've found a weird bug in bitwig it's been happening for a long time now although its not a big bug i'm just wondering if any of you here got the same thing.
so the bug is basicly that you cant close bitwig some time it does it you just click on the x and it doesnt close..
you can close it in task manager if that happens
anyone here got the same thing ?

Yeah, that's been around since the start and it's been talked about on the forums. No one's been able to reproduce it I suppose so it hasn't been fixed. Dom said this can happen when there is a dialogue box obscured by a window but it's happened to me with no dialogue boxes present.

Yes I have this issue constantly throughout all versions.

I have discovered that it often happens after I've left bitwig unattended for a while. For example if I have to stop work in the studio and go into town for a few hours, then I return and I find that the project I left open will no longer close. Especially if it was left open in the background.

This is on iMac

I have the problem sometimes on Linux with Jackaudio. So far I have blamed it on possible other factors and crashes from fiddling with settings and maybe that's the case.

A more consistent slight annoyance is that when I start a new project with closing bitwig (whether or not I close the old one) I have to start the bitwig audio engine again. If I don't close the project it seems to stay open but there is no way for me to switch back to it without closing the newer project. That seems strange behaviour to me, if it is intended.

That hanging windows could also be related to some USB device drivers not dealing with sleep mode or hibernation too well if you see it after letting the computer sit for a while.
Not sure how to disable that on the mac.
On PC you can disable sleep mode for USB devices in the advanced power settings.

I didn't hear of the project switching problem before.

If you didn't already, please send those with steps to reproduce to tech-support with details about your setup.
Since it may be actually related to other gear you're using, it could also be a good idea to investigate driver updates/power settings or manually putting the machine into sleep/hibernation and see if the problem shows up after that.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=420129

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I will try to file a bug in the next week.

I notice that when I first create a new project without closing the old one, I get a second project tab but then it disappears a second later. This behaviour isn't consistent with what I've seen before - in fact I never notice there were project tabs until now. So I'll have to work out exactly what is happening first. It looks to be related to the jack connection to me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Now that sounds even weirder. Are you using a very small screen so that the project tabs are partly hidden? In that case there should be an arrow allowing you to access the other projects.

But yeah, if it isn't something related to user error I'd send it to tech-support.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

No that's not it. 2 high-res screens.

Frequent issue.

I never had that happen in all the time I use BWS even once, and I create and open a lot of projects, usually several are open at once.
So yeah, please provide tech-support with all possible information. A video showing the issue may also be good.

Cheers,

Tom

Bizarrely, tonight it is working 100% as it should with multiple project tabs, one of which has the audio engine active at a time. I have never seen it function this way before and I hope it continues.

Unfortunately I made a great many changes to my system tonight, including fiddling with the hardware, to get my aging Audigy2 ZS and BWS to receive 'Line-In' audio. As a result I have no idea what may have made a difference.

If the fix reverts I will try to gather more data for a bug report.

Great to hear that. So it may have been a problem with your system actually.
Linux is a rather moving target in that regard with even more variables than OSX and Windows.

If it should return, maybe put "Linux" in your subject line so it directly reaches Heiko, our Linux supporter.

Cheers,

Tom

I might have tracked this down to a misunderstanding. While I'm not 100% confident this is the behaviour I've being seeing all along it is at least possible:

1 Open up bitwig.
2 Create a new project.
3 A second untitled tab pops up and then disappears again. Perhaps bitwig is showing intelligent behaviour.
4 Save an untouched project as, let's say, 'Project 1'. Open up a new project. Once again an 'Untitled' project tab pops up and then disappears again.
5 Do anything to your project (eg drop a vst synth onto Inst1). Now new projects will be created as new tabs, as many as you want, even unsaved with the same title, 'Untitled', even if I don't change a single thing in any of these blank projects.

So not a bug but a feature. At step 4 I would say the behaviour is not right though. Once I 'Save As' I am clearly thinking that when I hit 'New' I will be wanting a second project space.

Also it is not clear why the filtering of new projects would be turned off just because I made one change to one of those projects.

Anyway none of this bitwig behaviour creates any problem whatsoever once you've come to grips. In combination with other issues I think it may have been confusing me though.

Ah - now I see.
Yeah, that could be confusing I guess, although it never happened to me before, since I never created several empty projects at once right on start, I always "do something"... ;-)
I would guess that it's Bitwigs way to allow the user to load a project right at the beginning and replace the empty one created on load instead of adding it to the list.
As soon as you change something it's different from that initial state and from there on behaves differently.

It's good to know, so thank you very much for investigating.
I'm not sure if I find it really problematic though.
One just has to touch a parameter once to be able to create as many empty projects as needed.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Tom

I have experienced the stubbornness of Bitwig to close. I have also filed a bug report, as I found a way to trigger this behaviour.

1. Open Bitwig and a project.
2. Open FL Studio and load an instance of Edison (audio editor)
3. Load a sample, normalise and save
4. Close FL Studio
5. Drag the sample into the clip launcher
6. Save Project
7. Close Bitwig... now fails. Also the audio engine will not switch off.

Not every instance of this issue has involved FL Studio. This was just the last thing I did that triggered the poroblem.

I have also experienced this randomly, in similar circumstances to askewd, where I have left Bitwig running while I have done other things.

Return to “Bitwig”