---

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wow! nice. i may have to buy that. my radium 61 was the best controller i ever owned.

No aftertouch = fail

Like the look of the new Oxygen. I've had the current Oxygen 49 for over 2 years and it has seen a ton of use. I wonder if the rotary knobs are continuous, have clicks, and how they feel.

Yep, the Oxygen looks nice. Actually i bought the Axiom, because i thought i needed aftertouch, and now i realize that i hardly make use of it... might even grab one of these, and sell the Axiom. Tbh i don't even need semi-weighted keys.

Regarding the aftertouch and getting an Axiom thing - I did the same, and also realised that I barely use it. If ever. Well not intentionally anyway.

I also wanted continuous rotaries, but found after some time that I prefer non-continuous. And I also hate that clicking thing on the Axiom. Had to get a NanoKontrol, and use that for knobs and sliders. Much happier!

I do prefer semi-weighted keys though. Never going back from that!
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

The_Hidden_Goose wrote: I also wanted continuous rotaries, but found after some time that I prefer non-continuous.
They suck don't they? :D I had an Oxygen 25 before the Axiom, and i just can't handle the continuous rotary knobs, they either jump in value, or they completely go nuts, when you drive them quick. Really hate that, it was so easy and precise to sweep with the knobs on the Oxygen...

They look like continuos rotaries on the picture though. I really hope they're not... or they're of better handling.

I think there's a knack to it - there's like some built in acceleration for getting quickly to the minimum and maximum, but for anything fast but fine-controlled you've got no chance it seemed.

Glad I got the Nanothing in the end anyway - sliders! Didn't realise how much easier they are for a lot of things.

I got the small Axiom a year or two ago and have gotten a little bit better at playing now, so my next keyb controller will be a 49 key one (can't go much bigger - restricted space). Just won't happen until I find myself flush for cash one month, or necessity forces me into it (i.e...my Axiom dies)
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

good move: keystation 61 and 88 in black. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Any thoughts on built quitaly?
Knobs and wheels aren't so precise on my oxygen rev3 ( pitch wheel does not return to exact center) , keyboard itself is good.

2DaT wrote:Any thoughts on built quitaly?
Knobs and wheels aren't so precise on my oxygen rev3 ( pitch wheel does not return to exact center) , keyboard itself is good.
I'd say quality with M-Audio is a bit hit and miss. For example the first TriggerFinger I got had faulty pads from factory. The keyboards tend wear out pretty fast and the keyboard response becomes uneven (has happened on two of the three M-Audio keyboards I have). I'd say they are decent if you're short of money but if possible go Novation or AKAI. If you want real quality though go Fatar-Studiologic as it puts M-Audio completely to shame.
No signature here!

The Oxygen 3rd gen was pretty decent build quality i would say. All plastic of course, but it didn't seem as if it would break in pieces when you let it fall down or something. Although it's the bottom line in price in their product line, i think it's pretty ok. No idea about the new ones of course, could be different.

I received my new Oxygen 49 today, and i must say i really like it. I had an Axiom before this keyboard, but somehow never got to like it. Not only do i prefer the synth action keys of the Oxygen, but also i prefer the non-continuous rotaries, and the smaller keys. The build quality seems okaish, lots of plastic, and it creaks a bit, when you pick up the keyboard. The keys feel a bit weedy, if you're used to semi-weighted keys, but nonetheless, i find it well playable. I have to add i'm not really demanding about that though, i'm not a piano player or something, so the keyboard is just to play around a bit, and test sounds. I like the knobs and faders too, they seem to be accurate, and feel good.

One thing that was weird was that the pitch bend wheel didn't seem to be set to the standard pitch wheel cc. It was somehow set to cc 71 by default, so i had to download the Oxygen's manual, and change it to specified cc (is it even called cc?) of 144. Really no idea why that was, with every keyboard i had before, the pitch bend wheel worked out of the box.

Little update: The last digit on the LED display has an error, first the lower right dash was only partly visible, now it's gone completely, and the upper right dash is only partly visible... i'll probably send it back. Not even sure i want a replacement now, i suspect some bad quality actually.

I just spoke with my sales rep at Sweetwater and found out that my Alesis Vi61 won't be due for another month(which is not a solid date at that)....so,I need something with transport controls that's compatible with my Studio One DAW.
Had the 2nd generation Axiom...but the friggin' transport controls were inoperative in S1 and my Novation Impulse's configuration was wiped out,every time I shut down my computer! :dog:

So...I sold them both,for money to buy the Alesis...but of course,it's on pre-order,for an indefinite amount of time. :x

I like that the Oxygen IV has full size keys and that Xpand!2 and Sonivox Twist are included...but no FF or RW buttons in the transport section...wtf?

Since I have two PC's...a 49 key will suffice for my secondary computer and I like the Nektar Impact...but it comes only with S1 Artist...which would be an utter waste for me.

I don't know wtf to do...

Just out of curiosity...isn't anyone here bothered by the lack of FF & RW buttons in the transport control area of this keyboard...or is it just me??
If everyone here is happy with these missing controls...then what...are you people using an additional control device??
I do realize that M-Audio is now connected to InMusic Brands...so shouldn't that mean that the products(at the very least,remain with the same level of quality)...or dare I say...improve with this new merger??

I really liked my old Axiom Pro 49(& the only reason I sold it,was because I realized I needed 61 keys)..as the Hypercontrol was great,the key-bed was responsive...but due to the expense of the whole Axiom Pro line...I ended up going with a different brand.

With the utterly expensive disappointment of the new Axiom Pro series,the incompatibility issues of the lower end Axiom line and the aforementioned disappointing Oxygen line...I don't think I could ever take M-Audio serious again,as a company.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”