Beacons - ElectroProg (Seismic Glimmer)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LayzerSound®.....pew pew pew!!!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

The enhanced bass in the new Seismic mix is causing vibrations in my room. The Deluxe LayzerSound® mix seems clearer and causes no unwanted vibrations in my room. SoundCloud is probably not the best way to judge but I prefer Layzer's mix.

I think the graininess (or lack of clarity) is still there and may be coming from the reverb, other effects, or possibly in the original synth sounds but seems to be reduced in Layzer's version.

Deep, Seismic, deep. Like it!

Frantz wrote:The enhanced bass in the new Seismic mix is causing vibrations in my room.
It's that crockery again :wink:

It wasn't a HUGE boost, but I did increase the bass around 30Hz. Maybe I overcooked it a little. I'll check it on the big system at the weekend. All of these remix/remaster sessions were late at night on my monitors. My goal with this remix wasn't aimed at increasing the bass, but at increasing the overall volume level so I could make some relative cuts to those low-mids, and pick up some DR in the process by dropping the compressor/limiter out of the equation.
Frantz wrote: The Deluxe LayzerSound® mix seems clearer and causes no unwanted vibrations in my room. SoundCloud is probably not the best way to judge but I prefer Layzer's mix.

I think the graininess (or lack of clarity) is still there and may be coming from the reverb, other effects, or possibly in the original synth sounds but seems to be reduced in Layzer's version.
All of the synth parts on here are the same patch, short notes with a slow attack and long sustain, offset for each instrument track, and all fed through a long Eos reverb, giving a "pulsing" effect. My aim was to smear the sound, stopping just short of greasy. The "bubbling" sound is a couple of those synth outputs routed through Replicant in parallel. I think there is quite a lot of potential for loss of clarity with that combo, and that's before we get to the 'trons :)

I have only listened to layzer's master at relatively low volume to date. It seems to have a much clearer low/mid/high separation/definition to my ears. I'll have a better idea in a few days.

Thanks very much for the comments and for listening again, Frantz :D

Phase47 wrote:Deep, Seismic, deep. Like it!
Thanks for taking a listen and commenting Ø47. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I just listened to this on the HiFi, and the bass is certainly a little excessive. I'm going to remix this again tomorrow. Nothing drastic, but I want to cut the bass level (probably do that in the master). I also want to reduce the low-mids in the mix a little and take a look at that 'tron flute patch. I'm currently quite happy with the high end.

Cool track Tim !
It really draws you in some unconscious clouds of emotion.
The slowness has some zen potential.

Concerning the sound. The bass is a bit uber, but don´t just have a look at the fundamental frequency.
Also take the octaves into consideration (f.F=30 Hz, Oct1=60 Hz, Oct2= 120Hz etc.)
Just a quick tip of a pro masterererer :D

(( D ))

Very nice! Love the minimalist approach. I will be checking out the rest of your productions.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

drumity wrote:Cool track Tim !
It really draws you in some unconscious clouds of emotion.
The slowness has some zen potential.

Concerning the sound. The bass is a bit uber, but don´t just have a look at the fundamental frequency.
Also take the octaves into consideration (f.F=30 Hz, Oct1=60 Hz, Oct2= 120Hz etc.)
Just a quick tip of a pro masterererer :D

(( D ))
Thanks very much for checking this out, Daniel. Glad you liked it :)

I posted the previous version of this after making what I thought was a small bass increase in the mastering EQ. It was a larger than anticipated increase, and I didn't QC the final master on the HiFi. I have just fixed that, and adjusted a few other parameters in the mix too.

RLSguitar wrote:Very nice! Love the minimalist approach. I will be checking out the rest of your productions.
Thanks very much for listening, Robert. Glad you liked it :)

I fear that my other productions are quite opaque and chaotic in comparison. My next piece is certainly anything but minimal :wink:

seismic1 wrote:
RLSguitar wrote:Very nice! Love the minimalist approach. I will be checking out the rest of your productions.

I fear that my other productions are quite opaque and chaotic in comparison. My next piece is certainly anything but minimal :wink:
Complex and experimental is good too! :tu:
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

The new mix is an improvement over the previous one. It's not causing vibrations in my room.

Although TBH, I would have preferred gentle limiting and less EQ'ing. Without brickwall limiting, I have to crank it up to hear it well. Then the bass and high frequencies, which I think may have been boosted with EQ, seem aggressive.

The music still holds up very well. A successful "beauty stab." :wink:
Last edited by Frantz on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If I were to float on my back in a pool in the dark (total darkness if an indoor pool, starry darkness if an outdoor one) this would make a very nice soundtrack. Also makes a nice soundtrack for just sitting here on a chair in lamplight. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

RLSguitar wrote:
seismic1 wrote:

Complex and experimental is good too! :tu:
If I can manage one of these I'll be happy :)

Frantz wrote:The new mix is an improvement over the previous one. It's not causing vibrations in my room.

Although TBH, I would have preferred gentle limiting and less EQ'ing. Without brickwall limiting, I have to crank it up to hear it well. Then the bass and high frequencies, which I think may have been boosted with EQ, seem aggressive.

The music still holds up very well. A successful "beauty stab." :wink:
Each successive mix/master that I make gets me a little closer to where I want to be. I don't seem to have this problem with the beat-oriented stuff. I'm going to revisit this later, after working on a couple of new tracks. One of these is close to being ambient, the other couldn't be much further from it.

The previous mix featured a quite severe clicking at the 'tron note-on. I hadn't heard it before, but noticed it listening to layzer's master of my fifth mix, probably caused by a higher EQ level in the mid-high freqs. I listened to my mix and it was there too, but less noticable. I went back into the mix project and couldn't hear it at all. I have a sneaking suspicion that I rendered V5 using a DS audio driver :dog: although I can't see why that should affect the quality or characteristics of the resultant wav. V6 does not feature the click.

Return to “Music Cafe”