Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

4damind wrote:There is a patch browser but it's only a menu with sub-menus. It's not some of this full featured browsers with tags, categories, filter function etc. I think such a browser should be implemented with some of the next updates.
yes and I would like a favourite tag as well. However, the synths he compared it with also imho suffer the same limitation in preset browsers.
rsp
sound sculptist

zerocrossing wrote:Is there a patch browser at all? If there is, I apologize, but it wasn't clear enough to find.
No there isn't, I think the point was that most patch browsers are glorified dropdowns anyway, in that they don't offer much in terms of search and tagging.

I'm surprised to hear you and others about the CPU usage. On my system I have no spikes and the CPU is reasonable with most patches (think, Massive and sometimes a bit more). Could this be the one synth that actually is more efficient on a Mac?

And I agree on the patches, there could be some more variety between them and some more polish in terms of assignments.

What sold it to me was the workflow, great unison (seeing that I don't have Sylenth or Spire, there was a sonic gap to be filled), but most of all the ease of use to create wavetables and the options to play with them. I find it sonically very rewarding as well, but I have a feeling that upcoming soundsets (and I have no doubt there will be plenty) will show that off more than the factory presets.

I'm using a quad core i7 mac mini with 16 gig of ram... hardly makes the cpu jump in Studio One 2. It's certainly no more than Blue 2 or Spectral in my testing. Hmmm... I wouldn't have said it was hard on the cpu at all. Weird.

The GUI crashes after working some time with several instances of Serum on Windows 7 64bit in Ableton Live 9.1.5, 2560x1440 + 1920x1200 (plugins on first screen), it won't render all objects within the plugin window. It's not a problem of GDI-handles, quota of the OS is 10000 which I won't exceed (just checked the task manager for amount of GDI-handles). Has anyone ever created a project with multiple instances of Serum (10+)?

Everything still ok:

Opening some GUIs:

After this Live crashes.

Serum sounds so great. :phones:
A made this small sketch for a friend of mine with stock presets:
https://soundcloud.com/demkarstenihmsei ... rum-sketch
Last edited by TheKid on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm suspecting that probably Live is maxed on RAM at that point. Are you running Live in 32-bit I assume?
Glad you like the sound :-) nice audio clip :phones:

Ram? Is that really an issue without sample based vstis? Gotta check that later, 2.35 am here, time for some sleep-o-rama. My ears are tired.

I need to check this out.

Sampleconstruct wrote:I need to check this out.
Wow, great synth - after importing some single cycle waveform I got extreme overloads which didn't go away until the demo session had expired. Nevertheless I am definitely buying this, it's very inspiring to work with!

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:I need to check this out.
Wow, great synth - after importing some single cycle waveform I got extreme overloads which didn't go away until the demo session had expired. Nevertheless I am definitely buying this, it's very inspiring to work with!
Bought it, definitely the best synth release since LinPlug's Spectral.

Question: When dragging/dropping a sample into the editor, I can't seem to get smooth morphing/crossfading to work, it was just a cello sample, sustained note and the single waveforms sound great, but I can't morph between them without getting clicks/preforated audio, I did try all morphing options available.

Quick and dirty test patch, single oscillator - scanning through an imported cello flageolet wavetable using a temposynced Chaos-modulator, Modwheel modulates Warp (Synced), automated Macros 1+2 for cutoff/distortion.

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/s ... t-patch-01

Sampleconstruct wrote:Question: When dragging/dropping a sample into the editor, I can't seem to get smooth morphing/crossfading to work, it was just a cello sample, sustained note and the single waveforms sound great, but I can't morph between them without getting clicks/preforated audio, I did try all morphing options available.
Hey Simon,

I seem to have figured out the problem, I'll try not to be obtuse while explaining.

The oscillators allow at maximum 256 tables. Let's say you are designing your own from scratch. If you start with the default sawtooth wave and then make a square wave in the next box, you'll have 2 out of a possible 256 tables. When you then click on Morph, Serum generates the remaining tables--you'll notice it goes from 2 to 256, and the result is a very smooth morph from a saw to a square.

When you import a sample, most of the 256 tables are already going to have been used (or most), so when you morph, Serum doesn't have as many tables (or none, if the sample took all 256) it can add for a smooth interpolation.

So, a possible solution to/example of Serum's behaviour then is to delete individual tables you deem superfluous or uninteresting, leaving only the few that you really want, and then perform a morph (you can reorder the tables, by the way). The more tables you delete, the smoother the result of the Morph function. When deleting tables (and I'm on the demo, so I haven't found if there's a faster/better way yet), highlight the table you want to delete and then click the "-" (note, it deletes from right to left, so lets say you only wanted to keep table 1, 3, and 4 out of 256, you would select table 2 and press "-", then select 255 and keep pressing minus until only 1, 3, and 4 remained. Then when you morph, a new set of 256 will be generated and the result will be smooth)

KBSoundSmith wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Question: When dragging/dropping a sample into the editor, I can't seem to get smooth morphing/crossfading to work, it was just a cello sample, sustained note and the single waveforms sound great, but I can't morph between them without getting clicks/preforated audio, I did try all morphing options available.
Hey Simon,

I seem to have figured out the problem, I'll try not to be obtuse while explaining.

The oscillators allow at maximum 256 tables. Let's say you are designing your own from scratch. If you start with the default sawtooth wave and then make a square wave in the next box, you'll have 2 out of a possible 256 tables. When you then click on Morph, Serum generates the remaining tables--you'll notice it goes from 2 to 256, and the result is a very smooth morph from a saw to a square.

When you import a sample, most of the 256 tables are already going to have been used (or most), so when you morph, Serum doesn't have as many tables (or none, if the sample took all 256) it can add for a smooth interpolation.

So, a possible solution to/example of Serum's behaviour then is to delete individual tables you deem superfluous or uninteresting, leaving only the few that you really want, and then perform a morph (you can reorder the tables, by the way). The more tables you delete, the smoother the result of the Morph function. When deleting tables (and I'm on the demo, so I haven't found if there's a faster/better way yet), highlight the table you want to delete and then click the "-" (note, it deletes from right to left, so lets say you only wanted to keep table 1, 3, and 4 out of 256, you would select table 2 and press "-", then select 255 and keep pressing minus until only 1, 3, and 4 remained. Then when you morph, a new set of 256 will be generated and the result will be smooth)
Ahh, I see, thank's for the explanation, I'll try that right away!

Sure is fun.

https://soundcloud.com/matthijsbos/this-song-is-done

It's Kain_niaK
With a track
Made with Serum, totally wack.
Steve's insane
Like the dutch say, a "fenomeen".
Now I got all these knobs right here
I turn one up and down my beer.
So many presets from which to choose?
But why is there no dubstep moose?
(I actually prefer the ones from Saskatchewan, they sound great but don't tell skrillex)

So now i'm off unto a quest
I'll grab my zoom and do my best
To sample a canadian moose
And into Serum let it loose

Yeah, so you see. So click on the pencil here. And then click import and .. what's what?
Yes, I suppose a moose does not care one way or the other. Hey Moosie? Wanna buy a used copy of Massive

@Kain_niak - I'm sure you know that you're one of a kind.....Amazing brother......you just made my day....I'll be talking and smiling about this the whole day.......plus that smiling moose photo....hahaha...too good
B Ray - Embrays - RAY
Valhalla Delay - 120 Presets, D16 Repeater - 80 Presets, Soundtoys Effectrack 150+ Presets, PA Unfiltered Audio BYOME - 100 Presets, Venomode Phrasebox - 100 Presets - https://gumroad.com/embrays

Return to “Instruments”