Suggest a soft synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I didn't bother to read the rest of the thread, have we listed all current softsynths yet?

ghettosynth wrote:I didn't bother to read the rest of the thread, have we listed all current softsynths yet?
Not yet... by page 10 is my guess...

ImNotDedYet wrote:Zebra2
I'll always suggest a modular for learning/teaching purposes too, though Zebra is a bit harder to grok than a modular that shows all connections like Karma Modular.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Zebra is IMO overkill and too expensive.
Something with many features but in the same department (semi-modular) is Synthmaster. Afaik it's available for $99 (maybe cheaper with some actual offers) or you ask Bulent maybe he gives you a free NFR version for your teaching purposes.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Might as well close the thread now

how long till this deal disappears ??
It goes until the end of this month. I'm pretty surprised the OP isn't interested in it.

Uncle E wrote:

It goes until the end of this month. I'm pretty surprised the OP isn't interested in it.
thanks. in the meantime, i talked myself down from the ledge....i think :roll:

but yeah, with respect to this thread (and the price you are offering), i'd say it was a 'done' deal.

Uncle E wrote:
I am, very much of course. Fact is, strange as it might seem, I also have a couple of other things to do in my day. :D
fluffy_little_something wrote:Towards the end of the modulation page of the manual, there is a description of all sources and targets for the modulation matrix.
http://www.contralogic.com/data/vst-plu ... ation.html
Got it. Thanks!
Not the most complete list of modulations, but quite workable, and with a few nice extra touches.

@cubanoid: Thanks a million for your detailed instruction. The site is a bit convoluted, but in the end, I was able to register, login, download the files, obtaining the password, and unzip the whole mess. :D
After all this, surprise: The installer won't let me install Dune BE, because... it seems that the very old, shitty PC that I still use for browsing the net is not of its liking! :shock:

Well, one good thing I have obtained from this whole mess: A manual. It says "Dune" without any other attributes, so I guess that Dune BE and the original Dune (1) are more of less the same product.
The manual is well done. By reading it, I've learned that the "third" oscillator is really a sub for Osc1. They shouldn't call it "Osc3" then, in my NSHO. :roll:

I also checked the mod matrix, which is rather extended, certainly more than the Blarg's, but still not so detailed as the Ion's. (just an example: On the Ion, you can modulate individual envelope segments).

Looks like I'm going to have an interesting time in the next days/weeks. :wink:

oniram wrote: Well, one good thing I have obtained from this whole mess: A manual. It says "Dune" without any other attributes, so I guess that Dune BE and the original Dune (1) are more of less the same product.
It is. All that is missing from Dune BE are the effects of the full version. The synth section is exactly the same.

chk071 wrote:
oniram wrote: Well, one good thing I have obtained from this whole mess: A manual. It says "Dune" without any other attributes, so I guess that Dune BE and the original Dune (1) are more of less the same product.
It is. All that is missing from Dune BE are the effects of the full version. The synth section is exactly the same.
:tu: Thanks a lot.

why limit a class to one synth when there are so many free synths that are worth learning? Dune be is a top of the heap free vsti among the free ones no doubt but there are many other great sounding freebies.

By the way Synthmaster at that price JR is giving is a must have guys. This synth is as good or better than most vsti selling for $150 to $200 or more. All you would need to do then is add all the Nori banks and then you'd have enough sounds to do most old school prog. What else could anyone want? They were the sounds that defined the age of the synthesizer gods.

@yessongs: Frankly, I didn't feel the need to explain the whole situation in detail; I just described the conclusions, and the reasons for my request, since I'm not a softsynth expert. I assumed that people here would understand that there was a reasoning and a background of events behind those conclusions.

I'm not limiting anybody to anything. As I explained previously, I worked with this class for an year, using the Alesis Ion as a common ground, but also bringing other synths to demonstrate periodically (real analog, FM, workstations), and using a few softsynths too.
We reached a rather good level, but for the new year, the students themselves asked me to find an analog-style softsynth for 'everybody' to use, to compare patches and work together.

So this 'common' synth is not going to be the only teaching element, not by a long shot. It will be a logical continuation of the work that we did with the Ion, with the added bonus that they will be able to work on the same platform during the week. They will also start to program in autonomy, and exchange ideas without my intermediation. I'm very happy of this situation; this is going to be their second and final year.
We will study many other things, like complex fm, wavetables, phase modulation... but at the same time, they will have a platform to practice on concepts that they 'already' studied last year, and that I trust them to be able to manage.

Oh, and I want it cheap because not all of them have money: Some are struggling to pay for the school, and I don't want to put them off by forcing them to buy an expensive program.

Bit clearer now? :)

P.S. - please forgive my English... it's 6 a.m. here. :zzz:

If Zebra had granular/sampler capabilities I'd probably never use any other synth again.

SpectralSerumDiversionZebraAlchemyIrisKurzweilKorgYamahaElectratheyallsoundgoodifyoutweakthemrightwhothefuckcaresanyway.

Yeah, seriously, someone just make a macro that lists every synth ever made for the next time this question comes up. :help:
blackflag wrote:If Zebra had granular/sampler capabilities I'd probably never use any other synth again.
Even with it's incredibly terrible interface? Hmm, ok.. here's you pads, strap up and do your duty;

No worse than Synth1, and sounds a million times better. You gonna keep crying about it anytime somebody mentions u-he?

Return to “Instruments”