Have T3 and T5 on windows 7 - would like to have .trkedit T3 as default

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've installed T5 on my pc laptop and also have T3. Many of my Tracktion Edits were created on T3 and many use plugins not recognized by T5. When I've tried to have .trkedit or .tracktion files default to T3 as the preferred program to launch the files, Windows 7 only lets me choose T5 in preferences. Ideally I would like to have certain .trkedit or .tracktion files open as T5 and certain open as T3.

How can I achieve what I'm looking to do - any suggestions?

THANK YOU in advance :)

Mike at The Coffeehouse

Rename the .trkedit file as .trkedit3
It'll then become disassociated with any program. Right click it, choose "Open With" and browse to the Tracktion 3 exe file in your Program Files x86 directory.

Nobody does this, by the way, so you take your chances ... ;)
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

What's interesting is that my studio computer runs on Windows XP whereas my laptop is on Windows 7, and on my studio computer, when I right-click on the file and choose 'open with', both versions of Traction (T3/T5) although they are both named 'traction' come up as an option I can easily choose. I wonder why Windows 7 doesn't exhibit the same behavior.

I appreciate your suggestion Chico, but I can see that will really be opening up a can of worms as I move forward if I take that approach - I have thousands of T-3 projects and operate as a commercial studio.

Any other suggestions?

Mr Coffeehouse wrote:When I've tried to have .trkedit or .tracktion files default to T3 as the preferred program to launch the files, Windows 7 only lets me choose T5 in preferences.
The usual way in W7 is via Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations. It sounds like you tried that and it didn't do the trick...?

If not, see if anything else on here works: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-fi ... ns-windows
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Thanks Jabe - as soon as I get to the lab, I'll try this and report back ~

<duplicate>
Last edited by chico.co.uk on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chico.co.uk wrote:
Mr Coffeehouse wrote:What's interesting is that my studio computer runs on Windows XP whereas my laptop is on Windows 7, and on my studio computer, when I right-click on the file and choose 'open with', both versions of Traction (T3/T5) although they are both named 'traction' come up as an option I can easily choose. I wonder why Windows 7 doesn't exhibit the same behavior.

I appreciate your suggestion Chico, but I can see that will really be opening up a can of worms as I move forward if I take that approach - I have thousands of T-3 projects and operate as a commercial studio.

Any other suggestions?
Yeah, I was just trying to address the "some trkedits opening with T3, some with T5" thing. You won't be able to automate that, so a double click works. You should be able to get both icons coming up in "open with" though.

I don't have win7 to hand, but on win8 you just right click, go to "open with", then "more options", then scroll down and choose "look for another app on this PC" and browse to the Tracktion.exe file in the folder that's relevant to T5 or T3, whichever you're trying to use. You can also click a tickbox or something to make that the default.

After you've done that once, for T5 and T3, then you'll get the two icons for T5 and T3 if you right click and go to "open with". You do on Win8 anyway. If you do on XP as well, then it stands to reason it'll work that way on Win7 too.

Or what jabe said, about changing the default program will let you choose the one you most want to use.

Return to “Tracktion”