Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I actually have my volca keys to thank for giving me a great intro sound generation, always had trouble getting past the built in patches in synths, but this one actually seems to make it easy!

one very selfish request; any chance of a skin that has bigger buttons for fat fingers trying to change settings via a touchscreen? :)

Am I imagining this or do all lfos added to wave stepping and other functions temp sync by default or always? It sure is cool... Any simple application of an lfo seems to make great syncing arp like movements in a patch. Nice...

They might, by default, be tempo synced, but you can just click on the BPM 'button' to unsync them.

Last edited by PatchAdamz on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyVegas wrote:Delays like that are only used in "stoner patches" anyway. News flash: the world doesn't need any more ambient drone sound design! Sorry, that needed to be said. This synth is very capable, so it's sad to see everyone running around making creepy drone sounds like everyone on earth is blazed out of their mind 24/7 . Just try making a lovely, pleasant pad sound once in while. Imagine someone singing over the top of it while you design it. Take it easy on the modulation, it's not a contest to see who can use the most. There. See? That's not so hard, is it?
i couldnt disagree more. the more spacey, out there, and strange the better. i am personally not interested in "generic pad #412" thats no different from any of the other synths i have. i want to hear what kind of craziness serum can offer up that CANT be done with other synths.

so...more creepy drones? yes please!
ImageImageImage

TonyVegas wrote:Delays like that are only used in "stoner patches" anyway. News flash: the world doesn't need any more ambient drone sound design! Sorry, that needed to be said. This synth is very capable, so it's sad to see everyone running around making creepy drone sounds like everyone on earth is blazed out of their mind 24/7 . Just try making a lovely, pleasant pad sound once in while. Imagine someone singing over the top of it while you design it. Take it easy on the modulation, it's not a contest to see who can use the most. There. See? That's not so hard, is it?
Not sure if trolling or not..
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
Well in his small world he needs simple pads with no modulation to sing along to, nothing wrong with that, a bit narrow minded maybe but we all have our preferences - would have been the political correct answer, the other reaction could be: NEWS FLASH: the most ignorant post of the year award goes to Mr. Vegas and as the grand bonus prize he gets a detuned sawtooth, a lowpass filter and some blinders.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:
Well in his small world he needs simple pads with no modulation to sing along to, nothing wrong with that, a bit narrow minded maybe but we all have our preferences - would have been the political correct answer, the other reaction could be: NEWS FLASH: the most ignorant post of the year award goes to Mr. Vegas and as the grand bonus prize he gets a detuned sawtooth, a lowpass filter and some blinders.
:lol:
Last edited by V0RT3X on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

For the record I don't smoke and I love Ambient music... I'm not a republican though.

:roll:

Is there some specific format which Serum prefers? I've experimented with the generic waves from AKWF and also those formatted for Synthmaster. The latter work properly, the former do not, although get close if lowered 4 octaves. I suspect it is a formatting question, but would be great to know what Serum likes.

... AKWF ... get close if lowered 4 octaves. I suspect it is a formatting question, but would be great to know what Serum likes.
Serum should be OK with a lot (it "prefers" it's own .wav wavetables, which is all I recommend keeping in the Tables folder, but will import just about any WAV or AIFF (as long as it is uncompressed). I'm not sure how you could have a problem with the AKWF as they are single-cycle, I would recommend to drag a bunch at once into Serum's waveform overview, and it will create a wavetable with one file (cycle) per WT frame. Then optionally use some features in the WT editor, perhaps sort, or "nudge all phases for fundamental to 50% (so the individual sub-tables are phase-aligned) and perhaps a morph menu selection if you want intermediate tables created between the waveforms you imported.

Segue for praise...I'm strangely attracted to Lance Thackeray's factory patch "quasar". It's a pad, but it makes for a great whacked out little melody voice. I've got a really cool (for me) track coming together that started with this little wobbling jewel of a patch.

Double thumb---->. :tu: :tu:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

The basement dwelling wobblers and droners are basically trying to bury this synth before it gets legit recognition... The wobblers and droners are the Jackson Pollocks of the music world. Toss some trash out there and when people call it out, just say "it's cutting edge" and "people just don't understand because the pattern is deep and complex". When, really, it's just a guy who can't paint taking the piss out of everyone. :hihi: :roll:

PatchAdamz wrote:A Retro old School Pad:

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... ntrated-37
Wow.. that is a luscious and beautiful sound. In fact I really like a bunch of those that you've been posting. You're definitely my favorite sound designer on KVR and I'm a happy customer! :clap: :tu: :phones:

Tony, you don't need Serum for that sorta basic pad. Just a filtered set of saws will do, add some FX, maybe a little FM, maybe a little modulation of parameters X, Y, Z blah blah blah. There are plenty of synths for that. Why would I buy Serum if I have a dozen other synths that can produce that basic, generic pad? I want to know what Serum can do that others can't (or perhaps others can, but not so easily or effectively). E.g., in Serum my noise oscillator can loop on some arbitrary WAV sample. That begets certain types drones and complex sequences, etc. that you probably aren't going to find yourself humming a tune over. I mean, if you want to break it down, let's start a New Synth Checklist:

1.) Can produce a sine wave sound - check!

2.) Can produce a saw wave sound - check!

3.) Has a low pass filter - check!

etc. :?

I mean, where do you think we should start these discussions? At the bottom, or the top? I prefer starting at the top and working down...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

And also, BTW, there are many many people who use VSTs like this for more than just 3 chord pop tunes, and 0 chord EDM... like game soundtrackers, film work, etc.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Return to “Instruments”