Swapping Maschine for Push?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've only played with Maschine demo, but long time Ableton user. I find Ableton's clip view screen an instant hit for phrase sample triggering. The midi editing is kind of lacking and don't like the view much, but it is functional. It can be easily setup with a 16 pad controller. Push looks cool, but prefer larger pads and switching banks rather than have a lot more smaller pads. Launchpad works pretty good but no velocity sensitivity on my first version launchpad. The best thing about Ableton with controllers is the extensively implemented midi mapping which is really easy. The use of templates with any favorite controller is an easy way to always have that controller up and ready to go and once you learn it well, it becomes second nature to set everything up in songs to take advantage of your familiarity with your controller. The clip options give me everything I need to setup easy live playing of songs.

The bigger bonus is the ability to swap to standard linear multitracking. I prefer to live play my song while recording clip session output. Midi or audio clips can be used without hassle. The routing options are outstanding too. In terms of playability, it's the only DAW that feels like an instrument once setup properly with a good controller you like (or several).
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

That's an expensive combo. For me it's great. But then again I mostly noodle and don't really write complex pieces. I use the combo for guitar, bass, and a plethora of vsts (and built in instruments) with the most "complete" workflow of the hosts I've used.

Push it indispensable for me, but I'll add to some of the mentioned stuff that the pads are touchy (it's really tough to get the sensitivity right at first) the side buttons are REALLY dim and you'll not be able to browse vsts unless you get the various bridges available (extra cost) and then you'll still have some stuff that won't work. I still mostly use the browser on screen :shrug: Also, you can't audition the sounds even with ableton stuff. You have to load it, then try it, then decide if you want it, then go back and do it again if you don't like it.

I'll be happy to answer as many questions as I can as I use both everyday but don't want to turn this into a marathon post.

hibidy wrote:
you'll not be able to browse vsts unless you get the various bridges available (extra cost)

That is a little far, it is possible load VST's if you rack them. browsing presets is other problem solved by either racking tons of presets, buying one of the avaible packs (audiomoddeR) or if the VST allows it: use a Max4live device decicated to send midi program change.
dedication to flying

Last week I opened a suggestion on the live centercode to add a live api for vst loading/browsing. This isnt an issue just for push, its an issue for all of the perty new interfaces out there. Since the api isnt there push cant load/browse vsts but it also prevents things like touchable and livcontrol from also loading vsts. So if they just added this api it would make all interfaces much better

Thanks all - think I'm going to hold off on Push for now. I've been digging into Ableton a bit more recently and used it for a couple of songwriting sessions - absolutely loving the workflow in it so far. So streamlined and efficient for getting ideas down quickly - even the MIDI editor does about 80-90% of what I need (Daniel James even composes orchestral scores in it). Will still move over to Pro Tools probably to finish the production and record vocals, guitars, etc. plus mix, but looking like Ableton is going to be a great tool.

Push on the other hand - don't know if I have a need for it. I love Ableton's keyboard workflow (no other DAW or software I've found that let's me load a drum sampler, browse, and load all the samples just using the keyboard - no mouse involved!). If anything, I'd want a Launchpad just to trigger clips, but going to hold off on that. Doesn't seem like Push will offer much to me.

If you buy a Launchpad then do check out the NativeKontrol LPC Live script, it adds a lot of the Push functionality, or the launchpad95 script, which is similar but like a free cutdown version
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Well, since you already have Maschine, there's a script to use that as a controller with Live. Since you don't feel you'll be using any of the Push specific functionalities, that might be an option.

"Also, no modwheel.."

PXT-Live plus has extended the touch strip (beside many things) with these features
4.1 Touch Strip
By default, the Touch Strip will function exactly as it does PXT-Live. However, its function can also be changed by
holding down the Select button and using the Touch Strip. The currently selected function will be shown in the
Display. The available functions are:

SelectedParameter – The default function of the Touch Strip, which works exactly as it does in PXT-Live.

Crossfader – Sets up the Touch Strip to control the Crossfader.

Tempo Nudge – Sets up the Touch Strip to nudge the Tempo up (if the upper half of the Touch Strip is touched)
or down (if the lower half of the Touch Strip is touched).

Pitch Bend – Sets up the Touch Strip as a Pitch Bend strip.

Mod Wheel – Sets up the Touch Strip as a Mod Wheel strip.

Sprung Mod Wheel – Sets up the Touch Strip to function as a spring-loaded Mod Wheel so that releasing the
Touch Strip will reset the Mod Wheel value back to 0.
so unofficially it has been suported
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”