Novation Remote SL MkII support is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

moss wrote:
tomsa wrote:Do you have any plans on adding support for the touchpad to future versions of this script? It would be pretty awesome to be able to control Bitwig's X-Y instrument with it.
Sorry, but that is currently not possible with the API.
Can't you manually midi-learn it? May need a special option to be able to learn only X or Y?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:
moss wrote:
tomsa wrote:Do you have any plans on adding support for the touchpad to future versions of this script? It would be pretty awesome to be able to control Bitwig's X-Y instrument with it.
Can't you manually midi-learn it? May need a special option to be able to learn only X or Y?
Sure, that's possible. I understood his question if a specific device (type) can be controlled automatically in a certain way.

el_maniaco wrote:
tomsa wrote: It works pretty well with the 1st generation ReMOTE 25SL I just acquired!

I had no idea that this script would work with the 1st gen... i've had one for ages and never bothered checking if it's compatible :dog:

anywayz, good to know. i shall give it a try this evening :tu:
Yeah, make sure you check out the wiki- I don't remember offhand what the specific Midi channels you had to map were, but it didn't work for me the first time because I didn't RTFM.
ThomasHelzle wrote:
moss wrote:

Cheers,

Tom
Yeah Tom, I can midi-learn the X-Axis and the Y-Axis as separate knobs or faders for the X-Y device, no sweat. I was just thinking that being able to use the ReMOTE's touchpad to do so would be cool. And what Moss said holds true- I can't map the touchpad to anything. Maybe that's something the team could add to the controller API eventually?

TS
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

I think there is some confusion here.
What Moss refered to (if I understand it correctly CMIIW) was API changes to directly and automatically identify the XY device and map it.
There is no API change needed to manually midi map something.
I don't know why the touchpad isn't mappable, but as I said, you would need a provision to learn the two axes separately.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Yes, Thomas you got me right.
I am going to look into this issue when I find some time. The problem might be the different midi inputs.

Cool :-)

No pressure, I just try to keep the mentions of "This needs API changes" clear and in case I'm missing something add a ticket right away. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

I investigated the touchpad issue. I was thinking it would send its midi CC via the keyboard channel but it is using the controller one. This means it is currently ignored.
Furthermore I noticed that the modulation wheel was also ignored (fixed it straight away).

I was brainstorming a little bit of what to do with the touchpad. My ideas so far (for Bitwig 1.1):
* Crossfader
* 2 configurable CCs? 74,76 as default
* Device Parameter 1 & 2 (might not be too useful and a bit dangerous)
* Macro Parameter 1 & 2
This will be configurable in Bitwig 1.1.

Comments and further ideas welcome.

You already have "Previous" and "Next" bitwig instrument preset?

powermat wrote:You already have "Previous" and "Next" bitwig instrument preset?
Press "Browse" on the 2nd button row (on the left) for the preset browser.

moss wrote:I investigated the touchpad issue. I was thinking it would send its midi CC via the keyboard channel but it is using the controller one. This means it is currently ignored.
Furthermore I noticed that the modulation wheel was also ignored (fixed it straight away).

I was brainstorming a little bit of what to do with the touchpad. My ideas so far (for Bitwig 1.1):
* Crossfader
* 2 configurable CCs? 74,76 as default
* Device Parameter 1 & 2 (might not be too useful and a bit dangerous)
* Macro Parameter 1 & 2
This will be configurable in Bitwig 1.1.

Comments and further ideas welcome.
Well, couldn't you simply send RawMidi to the note channel?
And since it lends itself so nicely to the X/Y devices, I'd think it would be nice to have it available for that. The XY devices are pre-parameter mapped and can be recognized by their names, so it would be possible to have them either midi-learned (which would need a way to learn the two CCs separately) or automatically assigned when a X/Y device is selected as current device.

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote:Well, couldn't you simply send RawMidi to the note channel?
I just learned that to make mapping possible you need to use the user controls.
ThomasHelzle wrote:The XY devices are pre-parameter mapped and can be recognized by their names, so it would be possible to have them automatically assigned when a X/Y device is selected as current device.
To do this I need the new direct parameter API which I just noticed has several bugs. Bug report underway.

I implemented it now as follows (can be chosen in the properties dialog):
* Preconfigured (like X/Y device) -> currently not working
* Crossfader
* User controls (CC)
* Macro Parameter 1&2

People who are on the Beta program can have a spin with the latest GitHub checkin.

Cheers!

cool :-)

Cheers,

Tom

I installed this script (using a 25SL MkII, OSX Mavericks), but somehow my mod wheel is not responding. The horizontal movement (pitch) works though. In Bitwig's controller preferences, I have the inputs/output set up as 2-1-2 (from top to bottom). However, I can get the mod wheel to work if I set the inputs/output to 1-2-2 (top to bottom), but then the transport controls on the 25SL MkII (stop, play, etc..) stop working.

Is this a known limitation of the script, or might something be wrong with my setup?

Thanks.

RichN wrote:I installed this script (using a 25SL MkII, OSX Mavericks), but somehow my mod wheel is not responding.
See the discussion above your post. It will be in the next version when Bitwig 1.1 is released.

Thanks for the quick reply. Of course I did read the discussion, but I must somehow have missed the part about the mod wheel not working. I thought that was just about the little touchpad on the SL MkII not working.

Return to “Controller Scripting”